Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Classic comics: Thirty years ago this month

I was reading the latest on the "40 years ago this month" thread, and it occurred to me that I, and others, didn't have a whole lot to post because we hadn't really started our obsession that long ago. So how about 30 years ago? The Bronze Age still had a few years to go, and there was still some good stuff going on:

The New Teen Titans were still fairly new and dealing with Brother Blood (#22)
    The X-Men weren't "new" anymore, but were meeting up with Belasco for the first time (#160)
    Moon Knight's 1st run was going strong (#22)
    The Legion were starting "The Great Darkness" saga (#290)
    John Byrne was on the FF (#245)
    The All-Star Squadron was celebrating its 1st anniversary (#12)
    Marvel was wrapping up it's first mini, Contest of Champions (#3)

So what are your memories? If you weren't around then, what have you picked up since from May 1982?
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Thirty years ago this month I was nearly 3 1/2 years into my 25-year hiatus from comics.

Clearly, what's needed here is a "35 years ago this month" thread.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I also noticed that, now that we are in the Reagan years, there are 9 different Richie Rich comics that came out this month. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Thirty years ago this month I was nearly 3 1/2 years into my 25-year hiatus from comics.

Maybe if you squint it will look like "Thirty-ish" years ago? Or you can just give your unique viewpoint on what was wrong with the comics those young whipper-snappers were reading then?

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    Or you can just give your unique viewpoint on what was wrong with the comics those young whipper-snappers were reading then?
    An utter lack of Brother Power the Geek, of course.

Even worse (if that's possible), as of the fall of '81 Sgt. Fury was gone from the racks, period. Bad enough that it had been reprint-only for the previous 7 1/2 years.

Ten or so years later, the kids who grew up without these sterling characters were responsible for making *ugh* Rob Liefeld into a superstar.

2+2=4.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I was buying a lot of comics 30 years ago. I had steady income from my paper route and babysitting, and I didn't have a car yet. The titles in bold are the only ones that I still own, as I sold a large chunk of my collection back in '91.

Avengers #222: I was a big Avengers fan for 8 years, but I wasn't enjoying the new issues much and instead picked up back issues from time to time. I did buy this issue and regretted it, for the shallow story and boring artwork.

Bizarre Adventures #32: Although I was still a big Thor fan at the time, I don't remember anything about his story in this issue. Instead, I fondly remember an amusing story involving a samurai, a demon, and a drunken little deity.

Daredevil #186: I remember this cover from the Miller run, but don't remember this story. Maybe it was during that brief period when Daredevil was getting sensory overload from his superhuman senses.

Fantastic Four #245: an okay story from the Byrne run.

Iron Man #161: I wasn't enjoying Iron Man much at this point, but I bought this issue because of the Moon Knight guest appearance. I don't remember anything about the story.

Elric: the Dreaming City: I was familiar with P. Craig Russell and enjoyed his work on Killraven, but wasn't sure if I liked his new stylized work in this story. It eventually grew on me and seemed very appropriate for Elric.

Contest of Champions #3: I bought this whole mini-series and enjoyed it at the time, but don't remember much about it now.

Marvel Super Special #22: I loved Blade Runner, so I bought this magazine. The Steranko cover was great, but I vaguely remember that it was an unsatisfying adaptation of the movie.

Master of Kung Fu #115: Everybody remembers the legendary Gulacy run, but I also enjoyed Gene Day's work. Death Dealer was a neat-looking villain.

Moon Knight #22: I was a big fan of Moon Knight back then, so of course I bought this issue. I don't remember this story anymore, and I think that I was struggling to endure the new Sienkiewicz style.

New Teen Titans #22: This was a turning point in my life as a comic book fan. It was the first DC comic that I bought in nearly a decade. A friend had recently loaned me NTT #10-21, and I loved them. So this was my jumping-on point for DC comics.

Spectacular Spider-man #69: Like many people, I was fascinated by Cloak and Dagger back then. I later realized that they were fairly shallow characters that just had a neat look. I don't remember this story.

Power Man and Iron Fist #84: I was losing interest in this comic, even though I loved all the characters. The stories and the artwork were just okay. But I really enjoyed this issue, because it was a fun example of heroes switching opponents to win a fight. It was especially satisfying to see Luke easily beat down Sabretooth, and I wish I still had this issue because I hated the way Claremont pumped up Sabretooth into such a big deal later on.

X-Men #160: I was still buying X-Men, but had already lost interest. I don't remember this issue at all except for the cover.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

This is still a couple years before I discovered comic books, but I have acquired a number of these comics in the years since. Here's what I have, used to have and would like to have:

Comics I own from May, 1982:

Action Comics #534
    All-Star Squadron #12
    Avengers #222
    Captain America #272
    Ghost Rider #71
    Jonah Hex #63
    Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #1
    Contest of champions #3
    Rom #33
    Sgt. Rock #367
    Superman Family #221
    Thor #322
    X-Men #160
    Unknown Soldier #266
    Warlord #60
    Wonder Woman #294
    World's Finest #282

Comics I used to own but no longer do from May, 1982:

Daredevil #186
    Dazzler #19
    Defenders #110
    Doctor Strange #54
    Fantastic Four #245
    G. I. Joe #2

As far as what I would like to get from this month that i don't yet have, nothing really jumps out. Maybe the Bizarre Adventures #2 for the cool Thor cover.

Comic that means the most to me from this month: Avengers #222, part of the Fall of Yellowjacket epic:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. in the Underworld View Post

Thirty years ago I was 6. I would have been in kindergarten in Hibbing, MN. But this thread is a great reference to discover comics I don't know or have any reference to.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Comics that I bought at the time, with the ones that I still own in boldface:

Alpha Flight #10: Not sure if I remember this issue anymore, but I enjoyed the whole Byrne run.
    Dreadstar #9: One of the most violent fight scenes that I've ever seen in comics. Great work by Jim Starlin.
    Fantastic Four #266: I don't remember this issue anymore, but I'm sure that I enjoyed it back then.
    Hercules #3: fun stuff by Bob Layton
    Manhunter #1: excellent Baxter paper reprint of the Manhunter backup to Detective Comics. My favorite work by Walt Simonson. For some odd reason, I actually own two copies of this.
    Secret Wars #2: Mike Zeck was better on Master of Kung-Fu. Back then, Secret Wars was a guilty pleasure. Now I prefer to not even think about it. Secret Wars II was so awful that it drove me away from Marvel comics in general.
    Tales of the Teen Titans #42: excellent installment of the Judas Contract, one of the best stories ever told in Teen Titans.

Comics that I bought later, with the ones that I still own in boldface:

Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Thirty years ago I was 6. I would have been in kindergarten in Hibbing, MN. But this thread is a great reference to discover comics I don't know or have any reference to.
    Back then, I usually spent one week each summer visiting relatives in Buhl, MN. By 1984, I think the Sweet Shop had shut down, and that was the only great place to buy comics and magazines in town, though there was a spinner rack at the Highway store. IIRC Thunderbird Mall had a discount store with a few spinner racks of comics that were sold in bags of three at an okay price. At least one of the three always seemed to be something lame, so I would often tear a whole at the bottom of bags and swap comics between bags to make my own ideal 3-comic bags to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Back then, I usually spent one week each summer visiting relatives in Buhl, MN. By 1984, I think the Sweet Shop had shut down, and that was the only great place to buy comics and magazines in town, though there was a spinner rack at the Highway store. IIRC Thunderbird Mall had a discount store with a few spinner racks of comics that were sold in bags of three at an okay price. At least one of the three always seemed to be something lame, so I would often tear a whole at the bottom of bags and swap comics between bags to make my own ideal 3-comic bags to buy.
    Oh, so you're the guy.....I always hated when I found those 3 pack bags tampered with

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I think I remember that mall. My father worked at Red Owl at the time and I want to think it was in that mall. I also remember the McDonalds where my father would drink ten cent coffee with a friend who swam his pancakes in syrup. My aunt still lives in MN. A small town whose name escapes me. I think it was further north of Hibbing.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson

You know, the second and third most famous Hibbingers (Hibbingites?) are Kevin McHale and Robert Zimmerman.

Quote Originally Posted by prince hal View Post
    You know, the second and third most famous Hibbingers (Hibbingites?) are Kevin McHale and Robert Zimmerman.
    Hopefully they dont advertise it as their claim to fame. But then look at Moore Oklahoma.

Hopefully they dont advertise it as their claim to fame. But then look at Moore Oklahoma.
    Sorry, but the sophisticated political theories of Toby Keith trump your comic book erudition. ;)