Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Decoder Ring Theatre

As a fan of OTR/audio drama and comics, I think Decoder Ring Theatre is fantastic and am surprised it's not more well known among comic fans. While I only started listening in January, DRT has been producing their awesome shows since 2005. They have two primary shows - "The Red Panda Adventures" and "Black Jack Justice." Both shows are written, directed and produced by Gregg Taylor, who has also written spin-off novels for each show (3 for "Red Panda," 1 for "Black Jack").

"The Red Panda Adventures" is a pulp-inspired super-hero series. Inspired by characters like the Shadow, the Spirit and the Green Hornet, the Red Panda and his sidekick, the Flying Squirrel, defend 1930s Toronto against the evil plots of the Mad Monkey, Professor Zombie, and a vast array of villains. "Red Panda" runs 12 episodes per season, updated on the 1st of the month (Episode 81 is the latest).

"Black Jack Justice" follows the titular 1940s hard-boiled private detective and his partner, Trixie Dixon, as they investigate everything from murder to missing dogs. The banter is not to be missed. "Black Jack" runs 6 episodes per season, updates on the 15th of each month from September to February (48 episodes to date).

From March to August on the 15th of each month, they run a "Showcase Series" from different writers. Previously they ran a sci-fi series by Matt Wallace called "Deck Gibson, Far Reach Commander" - kind of a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers type show. Then it was Erik Deckers' private eye comedy "Slick Bracer." Currently they're running the anthology series "Marvellous Boxes" by Tim Prasil. In 2013 it will be "Crogan's Adventures" by Chris Schweizer, based on his Oni graphic novel series.

Some of the "Showcase" stuff is hit-and-miss, but I'm enjoying the current series by Prasil. I haven't heard an episode of Red Panda or Black Jack that I didn't like. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious, but always enjoyable. The closest thing in current comics I can think to compare Gregg Taylor's writing to is Brian Clevinger's writing on Atomic Robo. Smart, witty, fast-paced and fun. I can't recommend Decoder Ring Theatre highly enough.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 05-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

For fans of DRT, or those who just like to read rather than listen to their stories, all four of Gregg Taylor's spinoff novels are available as ebooks directly from Amazon's Kindle store. That includes the three "Tales of the Red Panda" adventures and the brand new "Black Jack Justice" novel. The "Black Jack" ebook is Kindle exclusive for 90 days, while the "Red Panda" ebooks are available through various outlets.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...Gregg%20Taylor
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

Earlier this week the new Decoder Ring Theatre episode posted. Marvellous Boxes episode 3 - "Facing Cydonia" is an entertaining, Twilight Zone-esque sci-fi tale by Tim Prasil.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

New episode just posted! Red Panda Adventures episode 82 - "Island of the Damned"

Lt. August Fenwick hasn't been doing that badly, for a useless fop dropped in the middle of a battlefield. Together with the rest of Parker's Rangers he has become an important pawn in the long game of Allied Command in occupied Europe. Some days he has almost come to believe that he understands the world and his place in it. Almost. But can any of that survive a trip to the Island of the Damned?

http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/in...Damned&cat=rpa
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

Pretty cool, thanks for the heads up
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Gave the site a good browse and listened to an episode of Black Jack Justice. I think I'll like going through these shows. I see they have a third anthology style show. I'd like to see a horror show added as well.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

DRT's new episode of their "Marvellous Boxes" anthology series, "Plotting for Perfection," is now up. Here's the rundown:

This week, author Tim Prasil's "Marvellous Box" contains the ultimate gift: the do-over. Admit it, if you were allowed one, it wouldn't take you long to decide how to spend it. But what if you could have a do-over for your do-over? And if you didn't like how that played out, could you do that one over too? Would you ever get around to living your life, or would you just be... Plotting for Perfection?
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

Episode 83 of the Red Panda Adventures is now up!

Red Panda episode 83 - Voice From Above

We can all use a little guidance at the best of times. A sense that there are greater forces at work, and that they have a plan. But for Parker’s Rangers, the only plan seems to be directing them back into dangers they thought they had left behind. And they won’t much like the messages they hear…. from the Voice From Above!
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

Over the weekend the newest episode of the DRT Showcase Series, Marvellous Boxes, was released:

Marvellous Boxes - Episode 5 - Remembering the Martians

Aren't unexpected visitors the worst? They show up out of nowhere and turn your whole world upside-down. Funny thing is, sometimes you miss them when they're gone. This week, Tim Prasil's Marvellous Boxes looks back at some guests that turned history on its ear. Join us and spend some time... Remembering the Martians.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

The Red Panda season 7 finale is up now! Listen to the thrilling conclusion of the Red Panda's amnesiac adventures behind enemy lines in WWII!

Red Panda Adventures - Episode 84 - The Black Heart

The Season Seven Finale of The Red Panda Adventures! August Fenwick and the rest of Parker's Rangers strike at the very core of the Nazis' otherwordly power in Europe, but are any of them ready for what they might find? Can they possibly break the stranglehold of power and clear the way for an Allied invasion? Who will survive when the Red Panda faces off with ... The Black Heart?
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

The last of this year's Decoder Ring Theatre Showcase episodes is now up. This is the "Marvellous Boxes" finale, making way for new "Black Jack Justice" episodes next month.

Marvellous Boxes Episode 6 - Aliens Are Like Mirages

This week, our final Marvellous Box opens to reveal a secret from beyond the stars. Is it a gift? A curse? Or nothing more than we make of it? Nothing can be certain when we find that Aliens Are Like Mirages.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

In other DRT news today, Gregg Taylor's latest novel, Black Jack Justice, is now available for non-Kindle e-readers from Smashwords.

Black Jack Justice ebook

This first spin-off novel from Decoder Ring Theatre's hard-boiled detective audio drama tells the story of the first meeting between Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective, and how they ended up as partners.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

The Red Panda Adventures kicks off season 8 with the real Red Panda back to work protecting the city of Toronto, while also adjusting to life with a baby and a mother-in-law in the house...

Red Panda Adventures episode 85 - Blue Skies

Men of vision cannot live their lives in the present, they must always think of the future. But how can the Terrific Twosome of Toronto fight a force out to "win the peace" while war still wages overseas? Will even the Red Panda be able to find... Blue Skies?
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

The hard-boiled banter of Jack Justice and Trixie Dixon is back as the Black Jack Justice season premiere is now up.

Black Jack Justice episode 49 - Jawbone of an Asp

The unpredictable life of a private detective is a fine thing. But like all good things, it is at least partly an illusion. There are only so many reasons that a person knocks on the grey-green door that reads “Justice and Dixon, Private Investigations”, and they usually fall within a fairly limited range. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 09-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:

Time again to check in with the adventures of the Red Panda. This month we meet the young members of the Danger Federation...

Red Panda Adventures episode 86 - Thirteen at Table

And who, pray tell, decided that our man in the red mask was ideally suited to play den mother to the next generation of our nation's crime-fighters? Was it his impressive resume? His natural charm? Or the fact that there was nobody else left? In any case, bad luck is in the cards when there are... Thirteen at Table!
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre: