Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,415

    Default The Marshall Tucker Band

    Ok, a buddy just gave me a SLEW of MP3s of these guys. I've started with Searchin' For A Rainbow and am LOVING what I hear!

    Anyone else have love for these guys?

  2. #2
    NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Londinium, Britannia
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    Yeah, I like 'em. I used to have 5 or 6 of their LPs (original pressings on vinyl, including Searchin' For A Rainbow), which I picked up second hand in the early '90s. I thought a lot of their albums were a bit hit or miss to be honest. My favourite was always A New Life from 1974 and today, that's the only album I still have in my collection.

    Are you familiar with The Allman Brothers Band? They were contemporaries and label mates with the MTB and their first six albums (1969-1975) are well worth checking out. The Brothers And Sisters album is probably a good first introduction to the band, although as I say, any of their first 6 albums (including the At Fillmore East live album) are worth checking out. The Allmans pre-date the MTB by a few years and for me, they were doing much the same thing but doing it better.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Posts
    25,611

    Default

    There is also Sea Change who where a little more Jazz influenced than blues influenced but i think shared some members from the Allman's.

  4. #4
    NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Londinium, Britannia
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    There is also Sea Change who where a little more Jazz influenced than blues influenced but i think shared some members from the Allman's.

    I've never heard of Sea Change. But if they are "a little more Jazz influenced" then that might be a better recommendation because the MTB were noticeably "jazzier" than the Allmans, I think.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Posts
    25,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    I've never heard of Sea Change. But if they are "a little more Jazz influenced" then that might be a better recommendation because the MTB were noticeably "jazzier" than the Allmans, I think.
    Yep Yep it's really good and they were on Capricon records which was the preeminent southern rock label.

  6. #6
    NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Londinium, Britannia
    Posts
    6,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    There is also Sea Change who where a little more Jazz influenced than blues influenced but i think shared some members from the Allman's.
    Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    Yep Yep it's really good and they were on Capricon records which was the preeminent southern rock label.

    Ummm...I think you mean Sea Level, not Sea Change.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Posts
    25,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    Ummm...I think you mean Sea Level, not Sea Change.
    Same difference :P

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Music:MTB

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Ok, a buddy just gave me a SLEW of MP3s of these guys. I've started with Searchin' For A Rainbow and am LOVING what I hear!

    Anyone else have love for these guys?
    I had the opportunity to see these guys a couple of years ago, and even though the only remaining member is vocalist Doug Grey, they were fantastic.Doug Grey as a singer is one of the treasures of rock in any style. I often wish the market would support him as a solo act,but MTB in all it's versions has kept his and MTB's flame alive with some of the finest musicians stepping up to contribute new material every so often. MTB continues to record new material,and to the best of my knowledge has never stopped touring or making records.I'd love to see Doug in a singer/songwriters format with Roger McGuinn (Byrds),Jesse Colin Young ( Youngbloods),Crosby and Nash ( Byrds/Holllies/ C+N/ Crosby,Stills,Nash,and Young),Tracy Nelson (Mother Earth/Tracy Nelson)and you name it.Of every thing I've heard by MTB I think the Holy Grail recording is their Long Island performance which is listed as the last performance with all original members especially both Toy and Tommy Caldwell, because a month or so later, Tommy (bassist) was killed in a motorcycle accident.Yes like the Allmans MTB had a huge following in the Big Apple at the time.Before his own unfortunate passing, guitarist Toy Caldwell had left MTB to start the Toy Caldwell Band and got out at least 1 record that I highly recommend as well. A little sadness has followed MTB over the yrs.but the spirit lives on.Glad you came across these guys.You owe your friend a HUGE debt.Sea Level led by keyboardist Chuck Levell and Jimmy Nalls, and a few other guys spun off from the Allman Bros.Band,and put out some great stuff as well.Unfortunately other than a greatest hits it has been hard to find some of their other records.I don't know if Chuck ever bothered to retain the rights to release everything himself or not,and I don't know if he has ever rebooted the band.I believe the label was A+M which has a horrible track record of keeping anything in print,but in this day of mp3 it might be easier to find this stuff.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Posts
    25,611

    Default

    Amazon seems to have plenty of their stuff but some of it is quite expensive.

    Sea level that is.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Music:MTB and Beyond

    Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    Amazon seems to have plenty of their stuff but some of it is quite expensive.

    Sea level that is.
    That is a problem with how some Amazon vendors look at harder to find music that has fallen off the radar; jack up the price.My suggestion is to e-mail Chuck Leavell at his website directly,and ask what's up with availability of his recordings.The real problem with this is that many musicians have not bothered to retain the rights and put out fresh editions.What with all the remastering and bonus track stuff going on with a million other bands you would think this would happen with everybody's music.Hopefully,Sealevel didn't sign away everything in some Draconian Devil's Deal like Creedence Clearwater Revival.By the same to token (musically that is) also check out anything you can find by Neil Larsen and Buzzy Feiten as well as their occasional band, Full Moon.very tasty jazz inflected rock,but not what I would call fusion.Mostly instrumental, but an occasional good vocal as well.Two of the best at keyboards,(Larsen)and guitar(Feiten) interplay in a very melodic sense.I believe Feiten released a new Full Moon on his own a few years ago but I haven't heard it. Both of them have their own sites I believe.This got a little off topic from MTB, but one thing leads to another I guess.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where the streets have no name.
    Posts
    25,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    That is a problem with how some Amazon vendors look at harder to find music that has fallen off the radar; jack up the price.My suggestion is to e-mail Chuck Leavell at his website directly,and ask what's up with availability of his recordings.The real problem with this is that many musicians have not bothered to retain the rights and put out fresh editions.What with all the remastering and bonus track stuff going on with a million other bands you would think this would happen with everybody's music.Hopefully,Sealevel didn't sign away everything in some Draconian Devil's Deal like Creedence Clearwater Revival.By the same to token (musically that is) also check out anything you can find by Neil Larsen and Buzzy Feiten as well as their occasional band, Full Moon.very tasty jazz inflected rock,but not what I would call fusion.Mostly instrumental, but an occasional good vocal as well.Two of the best at keyboards,(Larsen)and guitar(Feiten) interplay in a very melodic sense.I believe Feiten released a new Full Moon on his own a few years ago but I haven't heard it. Both of them have their own sites I believe.This got a little off topic from MTB, but one thing leads to another I guess.
    Hey i am always on the lookout for new music so no problemo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •