Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I love the Nolan films. Absolutely love them and think they stand as great examples of moving making.

However, when DC decides to reboot Batman in a less realistic form, I will welcome it, as long as it's quality. As much as I like the grim and gritty stuff, I do want to see the Batman that has Robin, can face villains like Clayface, Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist, Mr. Freeze and others, can work with Superman and The Flash, and can go toe to toe with a group of Martians and the manifestation of Satan.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!

I suppose this is a little like the Detective vs Superhero thread, I think like in that case there is room for both and I quite like having separate interpretations - grim and gritty on one hand, fantastical on the other

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder2012 View Post
    I love the Nolan films. Absolutely love them and think they stand as great examples of moving making.

However, when DC decides to reboot Batman in a less realistic form, I will welcome it, as long as it's quality. As much as I like the grim and gritty stuff, I do want to see the Batman that has Robin, can face villains like Clayface, Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist, Mr. Freeze and others, can work with Superman and The Flash, and can go toe to toe with a group of Martians and the manifestation of Satan.
    A lot of people are saying this, but I think it needs to be put in perspective. Sure, I would like the next Batman movie to try less hard to be realistic, but you can't just adapt Silver Age Comics. Even Morrison's run wouldn't really work as a live action movie.

The ethical universe of the Nolan films depends on Batman being an aberration, a perversion from our normal ideals of society. The main conflict in the films is Batman's struggle to balance and justify his extrajudicial activities. In a world with the Justice League, questions of ethics get thrown out the window and the answer becomes, "Of course it's cool to dress up in a costume and fight crime, everyone's doing it!"

Also if Superman actually existed in Nolan's films, Bruce would try to get him to come to Gotham and then immediately retire. Dude hates being Batman.

I think if they tried to put Nolan's Batman in a JL-kind of movie they would first have to make a few more regular Batman ones, where they would slowly build up the fantastical parts we're used to seeing in the comics.

Add in a crazy Mad Hatter and Alice and Wonderland world he creates from citizens of Gotham, reintroduce Ras Al Ghul and the lazarus pit, make Firefly, add in a teenaged side kick who stalks Batman around until he takes the kid in and teaches him before he gets himself killed, make Clayface or Killer Croc. Then you can add in some more fantasy characters like Superman or Wonder Woman.

It would take a lloooonng time to make all those movies though and I'm sure DC wants a JL movie to come out ASAP since the Avengers is already here and taking our $$$. So quickest and best solution? Reboot Batman so all these elements can go into effect immediately.

And seriously, anyone who thinks the Nolan movies are "too realistic" just isn't watching the movies. This is a trilogy which started out with an ancient secret society of civilization-destroying ninjas using a microwave emitter to vaporize the fear toxin in the city's water supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Death by Mime View Post
    And seriously, anyone who thinks the Nolan movies are "too realistic" just isn't watching the movies. This is a trilogy which started out with an ancient secret society of civilization-destroying ninjas using a microwave emitter to vaporize the fear toxin in the city's water supply.
    Even so, his Batman is pretty grounded compared to the comics.

Look at how Black Widow moved and fought in Avengers. Comics batman could do that, but not Nolan's Batman.

Tonal issues aside, the fact of the matter is, Christopher Nolan intended for his Batman to be a 3 film trilogy set in a world where he is the only superhero. It's simple as that. Sure, the plot may have changed for The Dark Knight Rises with the death of Heath Ledger but from day one, Nolan never intended for his films to be part of a larger cinematic universe. Personally, I'm very glad Warners appear to be respecting this and pulling an Iron Man 2 and shoehorning in setup for a cross over film.

As for Man of Steel, well Goyer and Nolan spearheaded the project and Zack Snyder is very adamant to keep the whole, "he's the only superhero in the world" rule.

On a sidenote, is anyone else still surprised at how much hate Nolan's films receive on these forums? By Batman fans no less.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post

Look at how Black Widow moved and fought in Avengers. Comics batman could do that, but not Nolan's Batman.
    Is your sole judge of "realism" fight capability? Is Arnold Schwarzenegger more "realistic" than Jackie Chan? C'mon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Probably because there's no goddamn way Christian Bale would be in a Justice League movie.
    ^^This. He said that he was never going to be in JL movie and that he will never act as Batman under anyone but Nolan. So maybe if Nolan directed the JLA movie (Or, perhaps more likely, an awesome World's Finest movie).

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    Tonal issues aside, the fact of the matter is, Christopher Nolan intended for his Batman to be a 3 film trilogy set in a world where he is the only superhero. It's simple as that. Sure, the plot may have changed for The Dark Knight Rises with the death of Heath Ledger but from day one, Nolan never intended for his films to be part of a larger cinematic universe. Personally, I'm very glad Warners appear to be respecting this and pulling an Iron Man 2 and shoehorning in setup for a cross over film.

As for Man of Steel, well Goyer and Nolan spearheaded the project and Zack Snyder is very adamant to keep the whole, "he's the only superhero in the world" rule.

On a sidenote, is anyone else still surprised at how much hate Nolan's films receive on these forums? By Batman fans no less.
    I know, right! Is like everybody was loving them and *Blink* everybody was hating them. (Cue nerd hipsters saying that they always hated them).
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

I've noticed this too and it really is annoying, it seems people think it's somehow cool to bash Nolans Batman (ironically like you I see it most here on a Batman forum) it's like these people want nothing but 60's Batman interpretations and anything even slightly darker than that is "OMG too grim/gritty/dark etc"
    "If anyone has a long face at my funeral, I'll never speak to them again"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    A lot of people are saying this, but I think it needs to be put in perspective. Sure, I would like the next Batman movie to try less hard to be realistic, but you can't just adapt Silver Age Comics. Even Morrison's run wouldn't really work as a live action movie.
    Why not? That just shows a lack of imagination. Anything can work in live action, as long as it is executed well. Avengers is enjoying critical acclaim and will be a box office monster. The idea that Batman wouldn't work in the same universe as Superman in live action is silly. It would work, just not with Nolan's take because Nolan's Batman wouldn't bring anything to the table.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Von Doom View Post
    I've noticed this too and it really is annoying, it seems people think it's somehow cool to bash Nolans Batman (ironically like you I see it most here on a Batman forum) it's like these people want nothing but 60's Batman interpretations and anything even slightly darker than that is "OMG too grim/gritty/dark etc"
    Are you suggesting there is nothing in between Nolan's Batman and the campy 70s Batman?

I've never liked Nolan's take on Batman because it's a watered down version of him to fit into a realistic setting. He can't be a genius in chemistry, biology and other numerous fields. He can't be an expert escape artist. He can't be a Sherlock Holmes detective. He can't be a master martial artist proficient in hundreds of different styles. He can't be an Olympic level athlete in various disciplines. Why? Because it's unrealistic for a human being to be that good in so many things.

It's a fallacy that Batman is a realistic character. A total and utter fallacy. Nolan's movies try to make him realistic, which takes away a lot of what makes Batman and his mythology interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    Nolan is the movie-equivalent of Scott Snyder. It's cool and hip to hate on everything he does and make mountains out of molehills because it makes them highbrow and better than the rest of the ilk who enjoy their works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Are you suggesting there is nothing in between Nolan's Batman and the campy 70s Batman?

I've never liked Nolan's take on Batman because it's a watered down version of him to fit into a realistic setting. He can't be a genius in chemistry, biology and other numerous fields. He can't be an expert escape artist. He can't be a Sherlock Holmes detective. He can't be a master martial artist proficient in hundreds of different styles. He can't be an Olympic level athlete in various disciplines. Why? Because it's unrealistic for a human being to be that good in so many things.

It's a fallacy that Batman is a realistic character. A total and utter fallacy. Nolan's movies try to make him realistic, which takes away a lot of what makes Batman and his mythology interesting.
    Yo I don't think you understand what "realistic" means at all. Like, according to your definition, anything less than a perfect magical Mary Sue / Gary Stu character is "realistic." Take babies, according to your definition babies are the most "realistic" people of all, they can't do anything except poop and cry. That's as real as it gets!

Let me blow your minds here: the Nolan movies are way more fantastical than the comics that they are based on. Let's unpack this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Sure, compared to "the comics." But then, every movie is grounded compared to "the comics." Why didn't the movie have Thor turning into a frog? Where's Beta-Ray Bill? Why isn't Iron Man's armor stored in his bones? (I think this is a thing he does in the comics, I don't keep up with Iron Man) Why hasn't Hulk been shot off into space and become the warrior-king of his own planet? Ugh, why does Marvel have to make their movies so "realistic"???

Of course this is a stupid comparison, you can't compare a couple of movies to a decades-long publication history. You compare the stories in the movies to the stories they are based off. What stories are the Batman movies based off?

Batman Begins was clearly inspired by Year One, only it's way more fantastical. There wasn't a secret civilization-destroying ninja conspiracy in Year One, all Batman had to battle were corrupt cops and politicians. Yawn, how boring. The Dark Knight reused plot points from The Long Halloween. Only instead of Batman fumbling around and failing to solve a series of mob-related murders, he was running around Gotham trying to stop buildings from blowing up! The Joker's actions and philosophy in TDK derived from the Killing Joke, and oh boy, you want to talk about "realism"? Joker manages to stymie Batman by pulling his hood down over his eyes! How "realistic" is that! Boy oh boy, I'm sure glad the movie cut out such dull terrible boring "realism."

Year One. Long Halloween. Killing Joke. What a bunch of tedious "realistic" stories those were, right? Batman wasn't an Olympic level Sherlock Holmes genius martial artist in any of them! There's no way that any of those stories would ever fit into the comic cannon of super-fantastical Batman mythology, amirite?