Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Because nobody on the team will be able to understand his commands.

*rawrgrgargleuhh*
    That's why they need Martian Manhunter, so they can communicate without listening to his awful voice. Oh god, what if his telepathic communications are growls?
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Yeah, I'm still not getting these arguments. Yeah, Batman is more realistic than the average superhero movie, but its still a superhero movie. It still contains some fantasy elements, like the League of Shadows (a secret order of ninjas and assassins dedicated to rebuilding societies exists is not really "realistic"). And Dark Knight did include a lot of advanced technology that isn't really "realistic" either and from from what I've seen of Dark Knight Rises, its likely to get more advanced and somewhat fantastical. I mean, we do see the Batplane, even if it does look a little like a cockroach. But either way, I sorta think that Nolan's movies have drifted more and more a fantastical place than they were before. And if Nolan can't handle DC's more fantasy-like characters, then why is he producing Man of Steel? Do you guys ever think that for movie purposes, DC should tone down some of the fantastical elements in their characters? I mean, if Nolan and Goyer can bring some realism to Superman, I'd see no reason why he couldn't exist in the same universe as his Batman.

Look at the X-Men films, for example. I'd say that the main trilogy actually looks realistic enough to fit into Nolan's Batman universe. If that can be done with the X-Men, some of the most fantastical characters ever, then I think WB and DC should seriously emulate that to make Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Wonder Woman more realistic as well.

Probably because there's no goddamn way Christian Bale would be in a Justice League movie.

I don't think making the cape let him fly is more realistic than without it. I prefer Batman not to glide with his cape. It just adds to how awesome that he is. He doesn't need to fly!
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Although ideally DC would focus more on his genius level intellect and detective skills since those are truly the unique characteristics he brings to the team
    Well, that's a reason to put Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox on the team, but what about Bruce Wayne?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Probably because there's no goddamn way Christian Bale would be in a Justice League movie.
    He was in McG's Terminator movie. Never under estimate the power of a big cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    He was in McG's Terminator movie. Never under estimate the power of a big cheque.
    Not after the Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Not after the Oscar.
    Oh yeah, totally. No one who's ever won an Oscar would ever take a role for the big pay cheque....

The reason is that Nolan's story doesn't allow for other heroes, who would be inspirational and symbolic right out of the gate. The Batman films under Nolan exist under the pretext that the world is a normal place. But along comes Bruce Wayne who hopes to be a symbol of inspiration for Gotham and does so by becoming Batman. Having Superman exist in the same universe takes away from everything that each Bat film has set up. Take this new film. We've seen from the trailers that spoilers:
    Bane and the League of Shadows takes over Gotham, turning it into a "No Man's Land". Superman would just fly right in and clean it up in an instant. That takes away from Batman's power as a symbol of hope.
    end of spoilers

And if the trailers and advertising is any indica, Batman's story will come to an end here.

As to the fighting style in the Nolan films, it is based off a real style, as I recall. One that requires a lot of movement to avoid being hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91
    Yeah, I'm still not getting these arguments. Yeah, Batman is more realistic than the average superhero movie, but its still a superhero movie. It still contains some fantasy elements, like the League of Shadows (a secret order of ninjas and assassins dedicated to rebuilding societies exists is not really "realistic"). And Dark Knight did include a lot of advanced technology that isn't really "realistic" either and from from what I've seen of Dark Knight Rises, its likely to get more advanced and somewhat fantastical. I mean, we do see the Batplane, even if it does look a little like a cockroach. But either way, I sorta think that Nolan's movies have drifted more and more a fantastical place than they were before. And if Nolan can't handle DC's more fantasy-like characters, then why is he producing Man of Steel? Do you guys ever think that for movie purposes, DC should tone down some of the fantastical elements in their characters? I mean, if Nolan and Goyer can bring some realism to Superman, I'd see no reason why he couldn't exist in the same universe as his Batman.
    It's not about the technology or the stunts. It's about the motivations and reasons of the characters. Bruce Wayne doesn't want to be Batman forever as we saw in "The Dark Knight", whereas in the comics he has long admitted that Batman will always be needed. The film Bruce was willing to kill, whereas the comic version doesn't. Comic Bruce went out and started his training right away. Film Bruce spent his life wandering aimlessly until he was given a reason to do something with his life. In the comics, Bruce doesn't considered the ridiculousness of wearing a costume. He knows right away that he needs it. In the films, the costume is the result of needing the means to protect himself while figuring out how to incorporate what Ra's taught him and make the two work. To this day, Batman can still intimidate people. But in the films, that was beginning to wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95
    I don't think making the cape let him fly is more realistic than without it. I prefer Batman not to glide with his cape. It just adds to how awesome that he is. He doesn't need to fly!
    Batman has relied on his cape to glide in the comics. Not to the same extent, but he has used it. That's why it was done in the 89 film. Not to mention that throughout the years, Batman and Robin have used hang gliders and later thermal gliders to fly. It's also more practical than having Bale or his double use the grapnel gun to swing around the city.
    Last edited by Mat001; 05-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Because Booster Gold is wearing hockey pads.
    Last.FM || Favorite Hero: Aquaman || Favorite Neutral: Red Hood || Favorite Villain: Black Manta

Yeah, it wouldn't work. It would screw up the tone of Nolan's Batman if you brought in aliens, an amazon princess, and a guy who can talk to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The reason is that Nolan's story doesn't allow for other heroes, who would be inspirational and symbolic right out of the gate. The Batman films under Nolan exist under the pretext that the world is a normal place. But along comes Bruce Wayne who hopes to be a symbol of inspiration for Gotham and does so by becoming Batman. Having Superman exist in the same universe takes away from everything that each Bat film has set up. Take this new film. We've seen from the trailers that spoilers:
    Bane and the League of Shadows takes over Gotham, turning it into a "No Man's Land". Superman would just fly right in and clean it up in an instant. That takes away from Batman's power as a symbol of hope.
    end of spoilers
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. Many such stories have been told in the comics, where Superman existing in the same universe was not a factor.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I honestly don't get why Nolan's Batman can't be brought into a Justice League movie. Yeah, he's grounded in realism and people say Nolan's Batman couldn't fit into the larger DCU with all of the fantastical characters like Superman, but...isn't it that way in the comics? To me, one of the beauties of the DCU has always been that a "low" fantasy character like Batman has been allowed to coexist with "high" fantasy characters like Superman and GL. IMO, you'd just need to tone down some of those "high-fantasy" elements for a movie. One of Green Lantern's weaknesses was that it appeared too cartoonish with all the CGI utilized. I think that could have been fixed if they had changed that by having the Guardians be portrayed by live actors, not done by CGI and had some of the Oan environment actually be real sets, not CGI constructed landscapes. I mean, even in the comics, when a GL appears before the Guardians, they appear in a closed metallic "board-room", not a mountain citadel. It appears that Marvel tends to tone down their fantastical elements from the comics, while DC believes that they should make them more grandiose (at least with GL).

I think if Man of Steel is as good as I hope (knock on wood), then DC should really consider combining Nolan's Batman with Nolan and Snyder's Superman. Potential JLA and World's Finest movies would be incredible.

What do you guys think? Can't we use Nolan's Batman in a JLA or World's Finest movie?

P.S. I don't know if there's thread on this topic already. sorry if there is.
    Because Nolan said "no"

Everyone wants to complain about the realness of it but if you look at the scifi and approach it in a believable way it all could be done. I mean lets be real here. A very small reboot is still going to be grounded.
    DEAD BABIES AVAILABLE NOW
    ORDER NOW Blog Twitter

This whole argument is a stupid waste of time and everyone should go do something productive and not whine about movies that don't even exist in the first place.
    Sane Bat-Time, Sane Bat-Channel...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. Many such stories have been told in the comics, where Superman existing in the same universe was not a factor.
    Which plays into suspense of belief, which is more limited in movies.