Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 99
  1. #76
    Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    I don't see how someone sympathizing with and understand my opinion paints me or female fans or whoever as helpless victims of circumstances.[/quote]

    Because the statemnt paints us as things, which are being acted upon by agents. It also misrepresents reality: Female comic fans do not have it tough on one side let alone having it really tough on all sides.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    In this case he's also stating the opinion that women have it tough in comics, which he is just as capable of noticing as you or I.
    how are we having it tough exactly?


    Quote Originally Posted by Moghedien View Post


    My God has a HAmmer
    And abs. Hmmmmmm, abs.

    Almost makes up for the fact the movie was shit.

  2. #77
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tel'aran'rhiod
    Posts
    22,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    And abs. Hmmmmmm, abs.

    Almost makes up for the fact the movie was shit.
    no movie with those abs can be shit

  3. #78
    Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moghedien View Post
    no movie with those abs can be shit
    Those are some pretty awesome abs, but no amount of abs can save that movie. It was essentially without plot. Though i admit to knowing a lot of women who watched it just for the abs.

  4. #79
    Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,675

    Default

    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

  5. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Oh boy - here we go again, all women must only watch 'girly' movies. Anyone seen Bridesmaids? Total misogynist crap.

  6. #81
    Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Oh boy - here we go again, all women must only watch 'girly' movies. Anyone seen Bridesmaids? Total misogynist crap.
    Nope, never seen it. I don't care for the mass produced romcoms. They are generally insulting to my intelligence. I've only ever seen one romcom that was both an accurate portrayal of romance & legitimately funny: Scott Pilgrim versus the World.

    Give me science fiction & fantasy any day of the week. Though my brain is turned off by exceddingly dumb movies, so most action films are out. Also inception is out: That movie wasn't nearly as clever as people tried to convince each other it was.

  7. #82
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Someone else mentioned Bridesmaids I was going to say would there of been an uproar if there was a Guys Guide To Bridesmaids you got the fat and funny one, the slutty one, the bitchy one etc etc

  8. #83
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    28,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    I'm not offended: No amount of you being objecitvely, demonstrably wrong is offensive to me.

    But be aware that i reserve the right to tell you when you are being wrong... Like now.
    Right. You're not offended.

    I know, because you keep telling us that you're offended by all the talk of people being offended.

  9. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Here's offensive for you; I spent much of the Avengers thinking what a sexy bad guy Loki is and admiring Hawkeye and Capatain America's lycra clad butts.

    Okay, I've offended enough people here now...............

  10. #85
    Senior Member The_Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Here's offensive for you; I spent much of the Avengers thinking what a sexy bad guy Loki is and admiring Hawkeye and Capatain America's lycra clad butts.

    Okay, I've offended enough people here now...............
    For Shame good sir or madam! for shame!

  11. #86
    Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Right. You're not offended.

    I know, because you keep telling us that you're offended by all the talk of people being offended.
    Nope, still not offended. People being wrong is not offensive, especially when you get to tell them why they are wrong. But you know that you are wrong, which is why you moved away from backing up your statement & moved right on to "appeals to motive." In an attempt to sure up your weak cognitive position. Its okay to be wrong RDM, there is no way you can know everything: However i think that if you go & read over the article again, you;ll note that the thing you specifcally decided to be offended by doesn't actually appear in the articel... at all.

  12. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    Because the statemnt paints us as things, which are being acted upon by agents. It also misrepresents reality: Female comic fans do not have it tough on one side let alone having it really tough on all sides.

    how are we having it tough exactly?
    So your objection is to the grammar of that one sentence? Technically maybe but to assume that it implies something like that is just silly. This seems to me like a case of being angry over nothing. You could have said that this was what was bothering you specifically.

    I never said I think we have it tough, although the lack of female-led comics, the number of sexualized poses and unrealistic portrayals of females ("below-average" looking characters who have the proportions of supermodels?) in comics and so on is kind of off-putting. What did that DC guy say about female readers not being a viable market again? I don't go to cons that often and don't follow this stuff but there are some things that I've noticed that could be better.

    You are painting YOUR OPINION that female readers don't have it tough as more valid than someone else's, based solely on the fact that you are female. Which, while affording you a good view of the problem, doesn't automatically invalidate anyone else's. You have never asked why the person thinks so or what situations he has witnessed which may have formed this opinion. You have never seen or heard of anything that makes you think female fans might have it tough, in your experience. Congratulations.
    Last edited by Wren; 05-05-2012 at 01:44 PM.

  13. #88
    Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    870

    Default

    My fiancee and I just read that article and we were both disgusted with it.

    It's offensive to women and comic book fans in general.

    I felt very patronised for being a fan of something, which I find entertaining because of it's complexity and intelligence, and this "reporter" responds sarcastically to what makes the characters three-dimensional.
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

  14. #89
    Senior Member superchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    birkenhead. UK
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    No we really aren't. I'm sorry but we aren't victims & i'm so sick of seeing my own demographic pretend to be victims, or hard done by. We are in no way hard done by within our hobby, either as a fan or as a creator: its just not the case. Seriously this is half the problem with women in comics: Everyone else being offended for us. If i am offended by something first i'll check to make sure its actually offensive & i'm not just being overly sensitive & then i'll tell you why its offensive. Women really don't need other people being offended for us, we are completely capable of getting our ideas across on our own.

    We are not hard done by, we are not victims & this article was not offensive: It was stupid, not offensive.
    I get as annoyed with girl wonder types as anyone (Steph was Robin all of two minutes, get over it) but the fact is the portrayal of women in comics is rife with the male gaze and the creative talent pool is under represented with women (Remember when DC had all of one female writer on a book, they've double it to the grand total of 2!). Now, we all have our own standards but its harsh to say our gender are 'playing victims'. Plenty of women are offended, check its actually offensive by their standards and then say they find it offensive and its great that men stop, think and judge what they are look at by their own ethical compass.

  15. #90
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi I might be new,
    but surely if guys are allowed to enjoy superheroes for the big breasted women, then women can enjoy superheroes for the abs and etcs?? (please don't jump on me anyone there's a lol down below)
    lol
    no seriously I think people have the strangest views of superhero movies and scifi if they've never seen it, read it or otherwise.
    ah the joy of labels.
    strange idea but they might of said it was a sarcastic viewpoint of how some girls might see the movie.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •