Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hey, female (and male) Avengers fans: If you enjoy being offended...

...then have a read of this:
    A Girl's Guide To The Avengers

I had to post this because it is just so wrong on so many levels. Remember: this woman was paid to write this.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

The only thing amusing in this article is the amount of the editorial backpedaling.

Iron Man says he's a playboy, but he's totes smitten with his assistant, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow).

...gag.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    Iron Man says he's a playboy, but he's totes smitten with his assistant, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow).

...gag.
    Well, it's true.

P.S. If this is the kind of "offensive" piece that gets people all up in arms, we should all be thanking our lucky stars that we live in a world in which such trivial frivolity can substitute for legitimate concerns. I don't mean that entirely negatively.
    Last edited by Dog; 05-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

So apparently the only thing women will care about is how hot the guys are and who loves whom.

Let me try "World War Hulk, for Girls"

Okay, so like this nerd scientist gets caught in like a bomb or something and becomes this totally hot green giant. But he's got, like, serious anger issues, so his BFF Stephen and all his friends, they like, try to do an intervention? No wait, they totally brush him off. And then he's on another planet with his shirt off, and he falls in love with this hot giant girl, and they get married and they're going to have a baby, and then the planet blows up and it looks like his BFF did it. So he's all like, WTH BFF? And they're all like OMG.

There's an editors note now:
    [Editor's Note: As you can see, we've gotten a lot of heat for this article. It was meant to be a satirical piece, and obviously, it did not come across that way. There are plenty of female superhero fans, and our intent was not to make them feel marginalized. We've changed the headline to reflect the focus as we originally intended it (but did not communicate as well): One woman's perspective on the Avengers]

Satire...sounds like they're trying to save their butts.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

BANNED

So apparently the only thing women will care about is how hot the guys are and who loves whom.

Okay, so like this nerd scientist gets caught in like a bomb or something and becomes this totally hot green giant. But he's got, like, serious anger issues, so his BFF Stephen and all his friends, they like, try to do an intervention? No wait, they totally brush him off. And then he's on another planet with his shirt off, and he falls in love with this hot giant girl, and they get married and they're going to have a baby, and then the planet blows up and it looks like his BFF did it. So he's all like, WTH BFF? And they're all like OMG.
    hahaha genius. Well played.

Return of the Jedi Last1oftheJedi's Avatar

Brillant summery. I really felt like I was there.
    Seriously though, funny stuff. ^.^

What NOT to say:
    "Do you think Scarlett Johansson is pretty?"
    "Oh, so it's like the 'New Years Eve' of superhero movies?"
    "Who could concentrate on the story with all those biceps?"
    "Boys are so weird."

What to say:
    "Thank GOD someone did the Hulk correctly."
    "I can't wait for 'Thor 2.'"
    "Joss Whedon is the man."
    "Yeah, you're definitely Iron Man. If he were buffer."

The whole article is just atrocious, but the "how to act" section? Man oh man, who wants to be with a chick that has to be told how to think and what to say?
    Maybe since Cap's in it, they thought they should resurrect a mentality of women more fitting to his time? I don't know..just awful. I feel smaller for reading that crap...
    I was playin' in the beginnin'. The rules all changed. I've been chewed up, and spit out, and booed off stage. - Eminem
    I dare you to make less sense - Dean Venture
    Squirrel Tactic!- Dale Gribble

Return of the Jedi Last1oftheJedi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    P.S. If this is the kind of "offensive" piece that gets people all up in arms, we should all be thanking our lucky stars that we live in a world in which such trivial frivolity can substitute for legitimate concerns. I don't mean that entirely negatively.
    I don't think it's so much an "up in arms" issue as a "facepalming" one.
    I was playin' in the beginnin'. The rules all changed. I've been chewed up, and spit out, and booed off stage. - Eminem
    I dare you to make less sense - Dean Venture
    Squirrel Tactic!- Dale Gribble

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    There's an editors note now:
    [Editor's Note: As you can see, we've gotten a lot of heat for this article...]
    Beware the wrath of geekettes. We don't like it when you assume women are vacuous and shallow. The female of the species, etc. etc.

It's not exactly offensive, it's more like, "Ha ha, girls wouldn't be interested in this for the story. Let's dress it up in cheesy fake slang and drop a lot of words like 'totes' and 'hunky' to make it comprehensible to women who get dragged along to see it with their nerd boyfriends."

As if we're going to say "So the world is ending and only these people can save it -- are they HOT?"
    Last edited by chariset; 05-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Beware the wrath of geekettes.

The female of the species, etc. etc.

It's not exactly offensive, it's more like, "Ha ha, girls wouldn't be interested in this for the story. Let's dress it up in cheesy fake slang and drop a lot of words like 'totes' and 'hunky' to make it comprehensible to women who get dragged along to see it with their nerd boyfriends."

As if we're going to say "So the world is ending and only these people can save it -- are they HOT?"
    LOL. "...are they HOT?" Genius.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

All Marvel events need to be summarized like this from now on.

LOL!!!!!! This post has made my week.

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Pretty sure this is supposed to be a joke. Some of you are so easily offended lol.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!