View Poll Results: Are you more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE or Batman THE SUPERHERO

Voters
56. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I am more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE

46 82.14%
  • I am more of a fan of Batman THE SUPERHERO

10 17.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hmm this is a tricky question...
    I think that Batman the Dark brooding noirish Detective is what gets the fanboy in me all hot and bothered. But I do think that if the character lacked the Superhero element he would be no different then any other costumed pulpy detective character like the Shadow or Green Hornet. The fact that this is a character who hangs with the Gods and also busts up heads on the street is the crux of who he is.

I will go with Detective because I think that those stories can't often be told well with other comic characters...

...Still holding out on a new Question series and have ALWAYS wanted a sci-fi noir detective series starring Martian Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Hmm this is a tricky question...
    I think that Batman the Dark brooding noirish Detective is what gets the fanboy in me all hot and bothered. But I do think that if the character lacked the Superhero element he would be no different then any other costumed pulpy detective character like the Shadow or Green Hornet. The fact that this is a character who hangs with the Gods and also busts up heads on the street is the crux of who he is.

I will go with Detective because I think that those stories can't often be told well with other comic characters...
    That sums it up very nicely from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    ...Still holding out on a new Question series and have ALWAYS wanted a sci-fi noir detective series starring Martian Manhunter.
    That suggestion is made of pure awesome!

I don't necessarily want Dark Detective stories, but I like detective stories for Batman. You know, a detective story is usually about solving a mystery, so the mystery is the most important thing--it's not so much about the hero beating up someone, because the pay off is in seeing how the hero puts the clues together and traps the bad guy. Superhero stories are more about a show of powers and fights. I like seeing Batman tracking down earthbound villains--not super-powered crooks in spandex.

Not that I don't like the occasional costume criminal story or family dynamics story--but those kind of stories get too much attention and displace the concept of Batman as a detective.