View Poll Results: Are you more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE or Batman THE SUPERHERO

Voters
56. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I am more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE

46 82.14%
  • I am more of a fan of Batman THE SUPERHERO

10 17.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE or BATMAN THE SUPERHERO?

I just had to ask this to all Batman readers. Are you more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE or BATMAN THE SUPERHERO.

Reading Snyder's Detective Comics run last year, when Dick Grayson was The Batman. I came to re-appreciate the skills and the way Batman is the World's Greatest Detective. As much as I love Batman the Superhero, when he is dealing with unearthly tasks like in the Justice League, I just enjoy the detective stories more for some reason.

How about you guys?
    Excuse me. Have you ever danced with The Devil by the pale moonlight?

Like Tony Stark said: "Is it too much to ask for both?"

Quote Originally Posted by bdk91939 View Post
    I just had to ask this to all Batman readers. Are you more of a fan of Batman THE DETECTIVE or BATMAN THE SUPERHERO.

Reading Snyder's Detective Comics run last year, when Dick Grayson was The Batman. I came to re-appreciate the skills and the way Batman is the World's Greatest Detective. As much as I love Batman the Superhero, when he is dealing with unearthly tasks like in the Justice League, I just enjoy the detective stories more for some reason.

How about you guys?
    I think the character starts to go south when either of those elements gets omitted. Part of what makes Batman work is the combination of his detective skills with the fantastic nature of his superheroics, I think.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Similarly, I like both, but I definitely lean towards "detective."

BANNED

Both. I only voted detective, because we rarely ever get a proper detective Batman.

Im very much a detective fan, I initially tolerated the superhero stuff because I couldnt get enough of batman and its come to have grown on me over the years. There is room for both so everyone can enjoy batman the way they like it.

I do like Batman most when he does use his super detective powers, but he would be so boring to me if that was all he was. The superhero stuff makes it fun and more interesting and variety is the spice of life. Heck, even part of the appeal of Gotham Central was the regular detectives having to deal with all the superhero-related things.

He's a detective who's a superhero. You can't really separate the two. Except in elseworlds I guess.

I lean more to the Batman family comics because I like extraordinary non powered non mutant humans against insurmountable odds.
    Supers are okay, but to me, if you are invincible whatís the point of the story, just go smash.(yes Iím exaggerating. )

The same form my Batman's, I like his detective work and his ability to figure out things better than if he had all the gadgets and armor in the world. (even though I love the car).

Return of the Jedi Last1oftheJedi's Avatar

A good Batman detective story beats a good Batman superpowered slugfest, in my humble opinion. That being said, I totally agree with Dr. Hurt, it shouldn't be too much to ask to see both the world's greatest detective and the world's most awesome superhero (which, obviously is also my humble opinion.)
    I was playin' in the beginnin'. The rules all changed. I've been chewed up, and spit out, and booed off stage. - Eminem
    I dare you to make less sense - Dean Venture
    Squirrel Tactic!- Dale Gribble

He's a superhero with extraordinary detective skills. If you don't highlight the detective skills, he just becomes another dime-a-dozen brawler.

Detective. Outside of his origin and drive, the detective archetype is far more compelling and distinctive than other parts of his character and mythos at least to many.

I like them both, but ultimately the superhero. It's easier and more effective to write great superhero comics than great detective comics. When you see detective Batman stories it's usually poorly written mysteries that are not very intelligent, or they just throw in a few CSI type elements or something. Whereas there are tons of great comics and stories that present Batman as a superhero and don't really feel dumbed down to me.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

BANNED

MY GOD PEOPLE PICK A SIDE! What is this, Switzerland?

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Like Tony Stark said: "Is it too much to ask for both?"
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He's a superhero with extraordinary detective skills. If you don't highlight the detective skills, he just becomes another dime-a-dozen brawler.
    Agreed.

10chars

He needs the detective angle, but that's not worth it if he can't get in a few fist-fights and narrowly escape one explosion along the way to solving a case.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.