View Poll Results: WHICH WAS THE BEST COMIC BOOK DC RELEASED ON 5/2/2012?

Voters
94. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Action Comics #9

23 24.47%
  • Animal Man #9

5 5.32%
  • Batwing #9

1 1.06%
  • Detective Comics #9

2 2.13%
  • Dial H #1

15 15.96%
  • Earth Two #1

28 29.79%
  • G.I. Combat #1

0 0%
  • Green Arrow #9

1 1.06%
  • Justice League International #9

1 1.06%
  • Red Lanterns #9

1 1.06%
  • Stormwatch #9

0 0%
  • Swamp Thing #9

7 7.45%
  • World's Finest #1

6 6.38%
  • Teen Titans Annual #1

2 2.13%
  • Other

2 2.13%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is the first time that Animal Man didn't get my vote. I voted for Earth because...WOW!!!!

Animal Man was still a good mix of horror and family, but I had to go elsewhere.

Swamp Thing.

I may be overly critical of Snyder's Batman, but in ST he truly shines. Abby is saved but remains a bit of a monster, and since Alec cant become human again, they're now the perfect tragic monster couple. And of course Abby owns Sethe in a very satisfying way.

On the other hand the art isnt very goo.... damn, i cant even joke about it. The art is GLORIOUS! The art is amazing!

- Action left me a bit weirded out. I respect it for it's ambition, but on the other hand i didnt have much fun with it. Also, that theme of making our own superman was also explored in All-Star with the Qward (or whatever it was called) universe, although this is different because the Superman is bad.

- Animal Man needs to step it up. It's getting repetitive.

- Earth 2 started out in a rather predictable fashion. The writing is mediocre and over the top. I mean, yeah i get it, Jay is a loser, no need to be so over the top about it. I get it. He was just talking and keeping up hope and his gf trashed him. And then there was the lyrical way the thought boxes were written in, the exposition, the independence day plan, etc.

- WF was pretty good.

So for me, it's ST this month. I still need some time to process action and E1 wasnt anything special.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-03-2012 at 06:38 AM.

I haven't read Batwing yet, but either way, the real conflict is between Action Comics and Earth 2 for me, it's hard to decide.

Haven't bought my stuff yet, but of that list, I'm currently only expecting to buy Detective Comics (for the Night of the Owls crossover).

I would possibly look over Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest, but I doubt Barnes and Noble will carry those, and I'm not motivated enough at present to go out of my way to a comic book shop to check them out. And while I had been buying Teen Titans, The Culling is probably where I drop that book.

Dial H #1 was my favorite. Iím not sure a first issue can grab the reader as well as this issue does. It can be roughly equated to a roller coaster as the reader is just as confused and perplexed as the main character. Iíve never heard of artist Mateus Santoluoco but damn can he draw. You get the impression he drew monsters all throughout his childhood and it shows. This book should not be missed.

I reviewed it with screen grabs at the link in my signature.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Really wSnted to vote for Dial H but DAMN Action was just so good this week

What a spectacular week. Lots of great books.

Action Comics was my personal favorite; layered with subtext, exciting, loading with big concepts, filled with great character moments and just huge cosmic fun. I loved every second of it. THIS is why I read comics. No one person's work perfectly exemplifies all the things that make comics comics more than Grant Morrison, and I love that. Best issue of the week, and best issue of Morrisn's Action run thus far (which I've been enjoying). Gene Ha, by the way, is an absolute REVELATION.

Dial H would have won any other week, though, I suspect. Smart, fun, weird, surprising, inventive, what was really great was that the agency of the characters was key. Everything here was birthed from, from their actions and emotions. The artwork was likewise wonderful. What a great first issue. A worthy addition to "Animal Man" and "Swamp Thing", and possibly better than either of the two best dark titles.

Animal Man was another great installment, but I do feel as if the pace has slowed a bit. I'd like to see a little forward momentum.

Ditto Swamp Thing, which does what it does with a lot of style but doesn't feel as smart or as dense as I might expect.

Earth 2, World's Finest, and Stormwatch were all great in their ways, too.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Action Comics #9.

sublime.

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

It's a tie for me between Action and Dial H. Dial was wonderfully weird with beautiful art while Action was bursting with brilliant ideas.

I also read A man and Swampy. A man continues to be a great book, but it's starting to feel a little samey. Swampy meanwhile completely lost me this week. I've stuck with this book but it's just not grabbing, and this is coming from a big fan of Swampy and Snyder. Plus this kind of was a whimper of a last issue. I might pick up it up in trade if I hear good things.

went with Earth 2. though Dial H would be my second choice.

One of the better JLIs this week, but that isn't saying much as it has been kind of..well, average. Still, I'd like to reward the improvement with a vote, but in all honesty I can't because it falls behind Dial H, Earth 2, and Worlds Finest.

Green Arrow was good, but a touch too weird with the gold rush "Are we in a western?" bits distracting me and the art was a tad confused, but I still enjoyed it.

I'm going to give the vote to Dial H but only by the narrowest of margins. Both it and Earth 2 had me feeling for the characters and hanging on what might happen with the next issue.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Ranking the books I bought yesterday:

1. Action Comics
    2. Earth 2
    3. Dial H
    4. Swamp Thing
    5. Animal Man

I thought the first three were excellent and the last two were pretty good.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

BANNED

I have criticized Morrisson more than anyone, but even I have to say AC

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    I voted for Worlds' Finest. It was my most anticipated of the 2nd wave, and Levitz & Perez didn't disappoint.

Earth 2 was good, but I'll need to see more of the cast before I can judge it properly. Dial H, well, I'll give it a couple more issues, but so far it doesn't look like something I'll enjoy in the long run.
    It was close for me, but I chose Worlds' Finest, too. I just love me some Perez--and frankly, this is the best story Paul Levitz has written in years. I absolutely loved it.

I wanted so badly to love Dial H, but I didn't. So sorry, Dial H-ers; it just didn't win me over.

Quote Originally Posted by ironduke555 View Post
    I'm going out on a limb with Green Arrow this week.
    Green Arrow was good, too. I love what Nocenti is doing. But frankly, too many great books--Action, Earth 2, Worlds' Finest--just stole the spotlight from it. In a normal week, I would've picked GA.