Default Epic Kill #1 Appreciation

I have to say this is my favorite original series published by Image in the last 4 months. The pacing is just phenomenal.

It’ll be interesting to see if the woman’s hallucinations continue throughout the series, as they add an extra element that is at once original and exciting.

The one gripe I have with this issue is there’s a lot of bullet time moments, where she’s dodging bullets. The one saving grace is that she doesn’t necessarily look cool doing it. If anything she looks like she’s in a trance. The bullet time occurs so often though it gets repetitive.

Writer and artist Raffaele Ienco has a perfect balance between narrative, flashbacks and action. It all meshes very well and it’s reminiscent of a good film. The character is meditating throughout the issue and slowly piecing things together. It’s a great way to transition from all the pieces.

I reviewed with some screen grabs at the link in my signature.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I thought it was cool. Not my favorite one in 4 weeks! I also loved how he both wrote AND drew it. It makes me feel like he really cares about this book. It is a 5 book mini, right?

I like the art and I agree about the bullet dodging. I kind of didn't like how she cut the guys throat with her hands. It was kinda unrealistic. I'm not saying that bullet dodging is realistic but it didn't ride well with me. I don't know if I wil buy #2 or not. This may be a series I will cut for the sake of cost, not because it is good or bad. It is a DEFINATE solid read, but I would rather pick up another series with the money. Just me though. If you got the cash, buy it.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I thought it was cool. Not my favorite one in 4 weeks! I also loved how he both wrote AND drew it. It makes me feel like he really cares about this book. It is a 5 book mini, right?

I like the art and I agree about the bullet dodging. I kind of didn't like how she cut the guys throat with her hands. It was kinda unrealistic. I'm not saying that bullet dodging is realistic but it didn't ride well with me. I don't know if I wil buy #2 or not. This may be a series I will cut for the sake of cost, not because it is good or bad. It is a DEFINATE solid read, but I would rather pick up another series with the money. Just me though. If you got the cash, buy it.
    That's a fair assessment.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

It's OK, it's got some good action scenes, the hallucinations are kinda dumb & cute (samurai wolves? that should've been it's own comic) and it felt like a throw back to those wacky 90's action flicks like The Big Hit.

The BIGGEST doubt I've had is the artwork.

GOOD.

GOD.

The faces. The human bodies. It's like they're nearing the edge before a hard drop into an uncanny valley.

And it's not just the faces, which creeps the crap out of me with their corpse-like masks. Something about their bodies and how they're posed & acted. The sitting, the arms stretching out, the standing, the bullet dodging. They're something not quite right about them. There's no sense of naturalistic flow in their action in every panel. They're
    As if Raffaele Ienco traced over some Poser art work, cel-shaded them & spray painted them with ink & colors from Manga Studio, while he's playing too much Borderlands (that was a good game, btw).

I don't expect Kirby or Miller or Perez out of this, but even their most realistic art doesn't feel this stiff & creepy. Heck, Borderlands look livelier than this.

Now then, how soon can we expect comics about samurai wolves?

I was scared away by the scene where she was dodging bullets that were being thrown at her.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I was scared away by the scene where she was dodging bullets that were being thrown at her.
    When the bullet dodging in Epic Kill looks less natural than the 1st Max Payne game made like ten years ago, then something's wrong with the art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Altercator View Post
    When the bullet dodging in Epic Kill looks less natural than the 1st Max Payne game made like ten years ago, then something's wrong with the art work.
    I liked how she looked impassive though. Like she was meditating. Made it more zen.

The bullet timing didn't bother me. It was done decently.

This was a very fun comic. It has an exploitation film feel to it.

The first few pages seemed a bit of a homage to Elektra Assassin.

I really wanted to like this book but I'm not picking up issue #2. The artwork just didn't do it for me. There were a few scenes where the girls looked like posed Barbie dolls that couldn't move their arms at the elbows.
    Pull List: Ghostbusters, Saga, Invincible, Guarding the Globe, Cyber Force, Hellboy in Hell, Punk Rock Jesus and Happy

read it the other day, ill pick up the next issue it was pretty good.