Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've actually been liking Superman better than Action. I don't like the fact that Action has been jumping around more than a Kangaroo. Morrison is still an enjoyable writer, as is Jurgens. All opinion, ofcourse..
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder

As someone who latched onto comics from the whole new 52 thing, Action just confused me because I wasn't familiar with Morrison's writing style, or Morrison at all. Let's not forget he is one strange dude. It felt so disjointed. After #4 came out, I read 1-4 together, and they just clicked for me. I've now read more of Morrison's work (specifically his JLA and New X-Men, and We3 just came in the post today) and he is now my favourite comic book writer, and I'm convinced that his Action Comics is absolutely incredible and is going to be considered legendary by the time he is finished with it.

He has short, mid, and long-term goals and plans for this book, characters, and world. You don't see that with the Superman title, which suffered from appalling story-telling in Perez's run and I dropped that after issue 3. I picked up #7-8 from Giffen and while they weren't exactly amazing they were very manageable.

I'd argue that Morrison should just be writing Action, Superman, Superman from Earth-23, Legion of Super-Heroes and also plot a Steel series written by Sholly Fisch. We'd then have a whole family of books with some direction and purpose, working together to create magic on the pages. Morrison just "gets" Superman. You can read all these quotes from him, such as "Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.", and analyse Action Comics #9, and this guy just understands this character and his purpose in the world that so many creators have forgotten about. Recent writers who turned Superman into a saddened mess who would be the last person I would call out for help from.

I can understand free will and opinions and other such rubbish but people who aren't enjoying Action or "don't get it", why? How come?

Just give him everything and let him do what he wants. If he can't do that, then let him experiment and run riot with Earth-23 with the same freedom Marvel gave Hickman on the Ultimates.
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Deluge View Post
    As someone who latched onto comics from the whole new 52 thing, Action just confused me because I wasn't familiar with Morrison's writing style, or Morrison at all. Let's not forget he is one strange dude. It felt so disjointed. After #4 came out, I read 1-4 together, and they just clicked for me. I've now read more of Morrison's work (specifically his JLA and New X-Men, and We3 just came in the post today) and he is now my favourite comic book writer, and I'm convinced that his Action Comics is absolutely incredible and is going to be considered legendary by the time he is finished with it.

He has short, mid, and long-term goals and plans for this book, characters, and world. You don't see that with the Superman title, which suffered from appalling story-telling in Perez's run and I dropped that after issue 3. I picked up #7-8 from Giffen and while they weren't exactly amazing they were very manageable.

I'd argue that Morrison should just be writing Action, Superman, Superman from Earth-23, Legion of Super-Heroes and also plot a Steel series written by Sholly Fisch. We'd then have a whole family of books with some direction and purpose, working together to create magic on the pages. Morrison just "gets" Superman. You can read all these quotes from him, such as "Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.", and analyse Action Comics #9, and this guy just understands this character and his purpose in the world that so many creators have forgotten about. Recent writers who turned Superman into a saddened mess who would be the last person I would call out for help from.

I can understand free will and opinions and other such rubbish but people who aren't enjoying Action or "don't get it", why? How come?

Just give him everything and let him do what he wants. If he can't do that, then let him experiment and run riot with Earth-23 with the same freedom Marvel gave Hickman on the Ultimates.
    I totally agree with you. I think the problem with the Superman title is it is waiting for Action comics to settle a lot of stuff about Superman because action comics is set in the past. With this, I think the best person to write the main Superman title should be the person writing Action comics as well..Morrison. Of all the superman comics I've read, I find his most entertaining. He truly understands Superman more than most people writing for DC. I think he should just handle anything and everything superman

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I like Action Comics slightly better than The core Superman book but I feel like you can't have a DC universe without a true Superman book, it would just be kind of.......wrong, I suppose. I love that Action Comics is setting things up with a nice "years ago" storyline while Superman's self titled book is set in the current timeline, it's a refreshing pace that I've been enjoying with the first issues and I look forward to seeing where it all goes.

The bottom line is that I think we need both titles and the DNnU would feel strangely wrong without either book, both are too important to be left out.