Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I hate WF , earth -2 was awesome . Bruce death was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Kara and Helena are introduced in Earth Two (as Supergirl and Robin) and that story establishes the context for what follows in Worlds Finest.
    You mean moreso than the flashback we get in World's Finest? Even without reading Earth 2, we know when and how Helena and Karen got here and what they've been doing since then.

And I'm not show how knowing any more about them would have made their characters any more interesting anyway. Backstory is important, of course, but it's how these characters are being written in the here and now that defines them.
    Last edited by Ed Sizzers; 05-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    You mean moreso than the flashback we get in World's Finest? Even without reading Earth 2, we know when and how Helena and Karen got here and what they've been doing since then.

And I'm not show how knowing any more about them would have made their characters any more interesting anyway. Backstory is important, of course, but it's it how these characters are being written in the here and now that defines them.
    Basically, their personal continuity moves directly from their disappearance in E2 to their appearance on "our" earth in the WF flashbacks. So, you do get a better feel for their backgrounds, I think, because you see what leads up to their changing earths. Of course, that doesn't mean that reading it would make you like them any better.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I was pretty glad the trinity was offed early in Earth-2, as interesting as it would have been to see other versions of them I was more interested in the idea of the JSA coming back and was initially worried that they'd be overshadowed by the trinity, so with them out of the way that's no longer an issue.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

They were my priority books for this week and did not disappoint. I really loved Earth 2, even though I would have liked to see more of the Trinity. (Though I wonder if E2 Supes is going to be the big bad that draws the JSA together?) Worlds' Finest didn't have the same 'wow' factor but I enjoyed it a lot. Reading both books worked really well for showing the transition from epic to human scale. They are very good books and I plan to continue with both. (I'm dropping 'Tec and OMAC's gone so there are the spaces that week).
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

I read Worlds Finest first and thought it was just ok. I didn't get a good feel for the characters, but it might just be too early to tell. Earth 2 I really enjoyed. I like the idea of reintroducing the rest of the Golden Age heroes as new heroes is something DC hasn't tried before, so I'd love to see how it will play out.

One thing I noticed was that the Supergirl costume for Earth 2 was way better than what they used for regular Supergirl, and I really liked the Wonder Woman costume. Too bad we won't be seeing much more of it.

I will continue to pick up Earth 2, but Worlds Finest I will start waiting a month to get the discounted Comixology price.

E2>Worlds Finest
    Best DC: Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Dial H.
    Best Marvel: Daredevil, X-Men Legacy.
    Best Independent: Walking Dead, Saga, Mind a Gap, Sixth Gun, Supurbia.

It was well written, but offing the big three just made it feel more like Trinity and I hated Trinity. I would have rather they hadn't existed and JSA start...
    I did love the costumes of the three.

Earth 2 was significantly better than World's Finest, but it also killed off all the characters that made it a great comic. Where are they going with it now? I guess that's my biggest question there. Flashbacks to before they died?

As for World's Finest, I think Huntress is awesome, but better as Bertonelli than Wayne and I was annoyed by the first page as a result. Power Girl came off pretty annoying too.
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Robinson is less predictable; some of his stuff I've liked, other stuff, not so much. (How many people remember that he was the first writer on the JSA book, several months before Johns took over?)
    Oooh, me, me! And that he wrote The Golden Age. And Starman.

...but he also wrote some stuff that was, uh, not as good. But hey, for whatever reason, his best stuff seems to be with Golden Age characters, so why fight it?

Like you, Jim, I was very leery about this. The Golden Age characters don't need to be updated; that misses the point of them. They're cool because they're classic, from outfits to attitudes. And as Robinson and Goyer and Johns proved for years, you can tell interesting stories with older characters that are complex and nuanced and as good as any you can do with Silver, Bronze, or Modern Age characters.

But still, the decision was made, so the question shifted to, "Will the updating be executed well?" Obviously it's a little early to tell, but I'm encouraged by the first issue. (Alan using an iPad? Madness!) Maybe it was Robinson lifting and updating a scene directly from Flash Comics #1, with Joan dismissing Jay because he's got so much potential and no ambition. Maybe it was Alan heading to China, no doubt for a date with destiny and the Green Flame. (Although who is Sarah and where's Molly? Or at least Irene?) Maybe it was Sergeant Pratt and wondering whether "Harper" is Jim Harper, the Guardian. Maybe it was the assurance that the big 3 won't be dominating this book, even as their absence shapes the need for a JSA. I don't know. But for a book I was unsure of whether I was going to get until I was literally in the store, I enjoyed it.

Now if only the new costumes are good (or, preferably, gone quickly)...

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I loved them both, though I admittedly chuckled a bit at Batman's Independence Day-resolution to the invasion.
    It would've been such a more effective scene if Bruce had installed the virus while yelling, "All right, Steppenwolf. In the words of my generation: UP YOOOOOOUUUURRRSSS!!!!!" right before getting blown to hell.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Truth be told the only reason I even had an interest in them was because I find Helena's Robin costume to be quite lovely so I was kid of saddened by the scene on the beach in WF.
    I'll admit, I laughed at that. Aren't Bat-suits supposed to be fireproof, bulletproof, etc? I'm not sure a small beach fire is going to do the trick, Hel.

-D
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy

I thought Earth 2 was really strong. I don't mind Batman dying at all since there is more than enough Batman in Earth Prime and I'd rather have the Earth 2 focus on different characters. I thought Bruce was handled well and I liked the brief dynamic he had with his daughter Helena as Robin. On a non-Batman note I thought both the writing, art, and world-building were all strong and will definitely continue with this title. It looks like it will complement the regular Justice League title really well.

I did not try World's Finest yet and really just have no interest in it. I've never been a big Huntress fan and I like the recent Power Girl series so much that I'd rather not even bother with what looks to take the character in a very different direction that I have no interest in.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar

I haven't read World's Finest yet, but I loved Earth 2. I think it is one of the best books I've read in awhile. Not THE best, but one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I was pretty glad the trinity was offed early in Earth-2, as interesting as it would have been to see other versions of them I was more interested in the idea of the JSA coming back and was initially worried that they'd be overshadowed by the trinity, so with them out of the way that's no longer an issue.
    Haven't read them, but I'm not sure how glad I would be to read about classic hero-counterparts being introduced just so they can be killed off right away.