Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What do Batman fans think of Earth Two and Worlds' Finest? SPOILERS

I know there are multiple threads about these two books on the DC Comics forum, but there has been so much advance discussion about these events on the Batman forum, I thought it might be desirable to continue the discussion here as well. The plots of the two books are so intertwined, I think a thread which allows for discussion of both might be helpful.

Personally, I had a lot of reservations about Earth Two after I heard it was going to have rejuvenated heroes. My affection for the JSA was always largely influenced by the original team's World War 2 context. I wasn't sure I was interested in reading about a young Jay Garrick, etc. But I was willing to give it a try.

I'm glad I did; I loved this book. Of course, I knew Nicola Scott's artwork would be top-notch; she's doing some of the best work out there, IMO. Robinson is less predictable; some of his stuff I've liked, other stuff, not so much. (How many people remember that he was the first writer on the JSA book, several months before Johns took over?) But I thought this was very well written. Seeing the trinity all killed off midway through the story was unexpected. And the first looks at Alan Scott, Jay Garrick and Al Pratt were all very intriguing. Not sure exactly what I was expecting here, but this wasn't it. But so far at least, I'm liking what I see a lot and am on board for the foreseeable future.

As far as Worlds' Finest was concerned, again, I knew I'd like the art. Neither Perez (on modern continuity) or Maguire (on flashbacks) disappoints. Levitz is another person I've had mixed experience with. I simply don't get excited about the Legion, and that's so much of what he's done recently. And I read one issue of his Huntress mini before dropping it. But no complaints at all here. Great characterization and I liked the way the girls worked together. The careful connection to both Earth Two and Mr. Terrific was appreciated. (And who else is thinking that, before Michael's machine was destroyed, it took him to Earth Two?)

Personally, I've been reading more DC titles since the dawn of the DCnU than ever before and have been trying to drop a few (and I have recently dropped both Batwoman and BOP). But darned if I'm not going to be picking these up now. As long as the current quality holds, these are keepers IMO.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Loved both of them & even though I do miss some elements of the old DCU these books were done so well I can't wait to see the new updated JSA!

I enjoyed them both.

Though you must get the boat ready for the sea of tears that is approaching :p

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

For me Worlds' Finest has replaced BOP and Earth 2 just might replace Justice League for me as well, as the JL title just has not been doing it for me. I hope this opens up a whole line of Earth 3-17-34 etc. line of ongoing books as long as the concepts are cool enough.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    I hope this opens up a whole line of Earth 3-17-34 etc. line of ongoing books as long as the concepts are cool enough.
    Eh, I doubt that that will happen. Nor would I want it to, personally.
    Jim Zimmerman

They were pretty decent. The Art was far better than the writing but that goes without saying. But both were pretty decent reads. Truth be told the only reason I even had an interest in them was because I find Helena's Robin costume to be quite lovely so I was kid of saddened by the scene on the beach in WF.

That being said while I did enjoy them I doubt I'll be coming back for issues 2. Can't afford to be adding more books to my regular buys. In fact I really should cut down. I can justify the #1s I bought today as impulse buys but even those I should cut back upon.

But all in all for two books I had absolutely no interest in or love for the concepts I thought they were rather solid.

Didn't pick up Earth 2.

WF was alright. Hopefully we'll see Helena and Karen develop into actual layered characters over the next few issues. For now, they're coming across as exceptionally one-dimensional, even borderline bland. And after 5 years of not wearing a costume, Karen's choice to adopt the identity of Power Girl seemed to come completely out of the blue.

The art was OK, although the enormous difference between the "then and now" was a little jarring.

5.5/10 for now. As average as average can be.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    5.5/10 for now. As average as average can be.
    Wouldn't it more more average if it was 5/10?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    Didn't pick up Earth 2.

WF was alright. Hopefully we'll see Helena and Karen develop into actual layered characters over the next few issues. For now, they're coming across as exceptionally one-dimensional, even borderline bland. And after 5 years of not wearing a costume, Karen's choice to adopt the identity of Power Girl seemed to come completely out of the blue.
    Kara and Helena are introduced in Earth Two (as Supergirl and Robin) and that story establishes the context for what follows in Worlds Finest.
    Jim Zimmerman

I haven't yet bought my copies of World's Finest or Earth 2. I didn't have enough money for them and my pulls today. I did however take a look at both while I was waiting for the line at the register to thin out and what I saw has me intrigued. I'm looking forward to reading both as soon as I get them, which will not likely be until Friday.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Does anyone else agree that Helena's Robin costume was lovely?

I called the twist of Earth 2 just prior to release, so I wasn't all too surprised. Despite there being no more Bat characters on that earth (which is saying something, hah) it was still really good, and I look forward to reading this alternative take. I never cared about the JSA before, because as a young reader, I just saw the core characters old, and never bothered. So them being rejuvenated gives me the chance to actually care.

I enjoyed Worlds' Finest much more than I thought I would. The super hero element in the book was more entertaining than the vibe Levitz had going in the Huntress mini series. Still sucks about Bertinelli, but oh well. I liked the art, but I thought the inking on Perez's segments was inconsistent, sometimes heavy, sometimes light, and sometimes the girls look like barbie dolls under Maguire's pen.

I loved them both, though I admittedly chuckled a bit at Batman's Independence Day-resolution to the invasion.

I thought they were both pretty great, easily my favorite buys today. As others have stated the art in both books was really the strong point but the stories themselves were pretty darn interesting.

ok regarding E2
    I think is a 7 out 10
    i dont get why so many critics gave this a 9

Its not bad, but is not a 9
    It still shows all the problems that Robinson's writing has in the last few years
    solutions that are deus ex machina, overpowered villains, shocking deaths

but is not as a annoying and as hurtful as lets say his JLA run since it was just used for an end, if this development of E2 vs apokolypse was extended for more than 1 single issue, it would had suck hard, instead it was just used as a prologue to launch the premise for the rest of the series
    but ultimately the problem that i have with the book is that it was sold very hard on the E2 versions of Batman Superman and WW, all those interviews and insights on those 3 and they are killed in 1 issue, I understand what James is going for but why is it necessary?

we saw too much room something that is ultimately very little
    and it doesnt really gives a good insight on how is going to be the next issues

however Robinson excels when is about new or unknown characters so the recreation of Alan Scott, Al Pratt and Jay looks like is going to be well made i just dont know where is it going

now about WF

I didnt like it, but I think is not that bad

it shows a good characterization, a good intend of development and action

but the characters are not good

I read both the boringly long Huntress mini series and the hilariously mediocre Mr Terrific and both characters there are just dull and unlikable
    and this did very little to change that

its kinda like this in this comic for me
    I can acknowledge that it had a good dialog, i just dont believe in the person that said it

their motivations are just selfish, there is no other word for it
    they want to go back to their world and will lie, steal, deceive and kill(in the case of huntress) to get it

they are not like any other heroes cause they arent heroes at all
    Powergirl just used her powers and "scientific knowledge?" to amass a fortune and now she putting on a costume, why?

that is the problem with using the left overs a very badly thought book like was Mr Terrific, building this character from Karen Starr is a Terrible idea

on the case of huntress she is...
    i dont know

i dont know why she is here, i dont know why she had to be batman's daughter of E2, i dont know why the Helena of E0 had to be unnecessarily fridge

this title doesnt need huntress, it could perfectly be about Powergirl alone

Hel lost everything on E2, so i dont think she necessarily wants or needs to go back to E2 and she shows it on the book, she turns herself into Huntress cause is the only thing she knows how to do, but she doesnt even try to build a new life, she just took over the one from the Helena of E0

I think this is between a 5.5 and a 6

R.I.P. Huntress
    R.I.P. Powergirl
    and of course
    R.I.P. boob window

you will be missed
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/