Default Is there a formula for anime movies based on series?

With a lot of anime movies based on series I've noticed a tendancy for them to have a slightly contrived plot that be resolved just before the movies finishes and it ussually shows stuff like special moves or artifacts that the character's dont really do on their main show.Ussually it ends up being non-canon.Does anyone else think that this is a bit too formulaic and if it is what's the formula for movies like that?.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Patlabor says hi.

Urusei Yatsura kinda says hi too.

What you're talking about is usually with movies related to big Shounen series that are based on manga. No matter how good they turn out, they aren't canon simply because they don't occur in the manga, regardless of whether or not there was some kind of new power in it.

This is not caused by a formula, it is caused by the movie makers wanting to do something that seems epic compared to the TV version, so they go for something super or different, and sometimes they just go over the top or come up with bad ideas. Sometimes they look for an unresolved or unmentioned plot thread in the manga and try to make their movie about that. Sometimes that ends up iffy (dude who taught Orochimaru his body regeneration techniques?), and other times it does something interesting (introducing Sounga as a third counterpart to Tetsusaiga and Tenseiga).
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    What you're talking about is usually with movies related to big Shounen series that are based on manga. No matter how good they turn out, they aren't canon simply because they don't occur in the manga, regardless of whether or not there was some kind of new power in it.
    You sure it happens only in Shounen stuff?.See I recently watched the "Ah!My Goddess" movie.Even though I am LOVING this show I newly discovered,I didn't like the movie too much and this from a series which is marketed at a Seinen demographic supposedly.It felt a bit contrived in how it takes a look at how whether Keichi and Belldandy actually love each other despite the accidental wish (a recurring motif of the show I guess)even when Belldandy gets amnesia.I feel that I cant really say to much about the villianous ex-singing teacher since I haven't gotten to any episode where non-human antagonists appear yet (Urd not really counting).That's why I'm asking this.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Well, I shouldn't have limited it to Shounen. In fact, there are quite a few 'Seinen' that are a lot like Shounen, but with more blood. The real key is the long running manga part, of which Ah My Goddess is a part of. The main thing is that its not the movie makers property. They're trying to tell an original story in the world that someone else created. If they have a lot of input from the creator, that can lead to some interesting things when done well. It's very easy for them to come up with wonky stuff on accident.

If a lot of the staff responsible for the original work is making the movie, then good things like Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door or the first two Patlabor films can happen.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen