Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default POLL RESULTS: Has The "Before Watchmen" Controversy Affected Your Interest In The Pre

CBR's latest poll results are in, and they indicate that the controversy and discussion of "Before Watchmen" has had an effect on readers' decisions to purchase the upcoming prequels.

Full article here.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Watch them still sell out.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Picture Book Liker

This is going to be the greatest movie I've seen in years. Cannot... CANNOT come quick enough.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziza9 View Post
    Pretty much this. For all the willy-waving anger, they're going to sell in big numbers.

I'm behind the project, personally. I think Gibbons' approval is enough - Moore isn't an author I particularly care for on any level. I respect the opinions of those who object to Before Watchmen on reasonable grounds, but I find it rather shocking that some are quick to attack and criticise the creative teams before we've even seen how it's going to work.

I've pre-ordered the first issues of Silk Spectre and Minutemen, because I want to see what they'll be like, and because I think the teams sound awesome. The others? Not so interested in them.

Oh I've already added all of the series to my pull list through Comixology. I am pumped.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!

I have literally no interest in the project, but even I was nearly sold by some of the creative teams.

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artiepants View Post
    I have literally no interest in the project, but even I was nearly sold by some of the creative teams.
    Controversy? Wot controversy?
    I am buying the Azzarello penned issues and the Jae Lee drawn issues. As I planned initially when the creative teams were announced. This is one instance where I am more interested in the writer and artist than the characters.
    Last edited by Imraith Nimphais; 05-02-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

I wasn't that big of a fan of the original but I had a passing interest in the prequels just because of the creative teams. I had planned on putting them on my pull list but after seeing the $3.99 cover price I decided not to buy. It has NOTHING to do with how creators have been treated.

I'm looking forward to the books. I've met Gibbons a number of times at conventions and he is flat out an awesome dude and his support of the comics cinched it for me. Moore's arrogance and disparaging comments through the years fall on deaf ears to me.
    Last edited by PatheticNewGuy; 05-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Pretty much this. For all the willy-waving anger, they're going to sell in big numbers.
    At first.

I think this is another of DC's schemes that's going to do big numbers for a short while and then everything will just go back to normal again. Just like the New 52.

And I'm not saying that to comment one way or the other on the actual quality of either project, I'm just saying that DC's marketing strategies at present are very short-term ones.

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

They're going to sell out and I don't buy for a minute there is some LCS owner that won't stock them.

Internet comic fans are a peculiar bunch.

They'll damn a book to hell, but they'll keep buying it regardless of what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    They're going to sell out and I don't buy for a minute there is some LCS owner that won't stock them.
    I think so. Either way I'm' not interested in Watchmen. What bother's me though isn't Moore being a hypocrite? He used plenty of characters created by other writers in League of Extradionary gentlemen. He got screwed in his contract no question, but I don't agree with his stance here. If he can do all sorts of out there things with other people characters throwing a hissy when someone is using his doesn't garner my sympathy.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I think so. Either way I'm' not interested in Watchmen. What bother's me though isn't Moore being a hypocrite? He used plenty of characters created by other writers in League of Extradionary gentlemen. He got screwed in his contract no question, but I don't agree with his stance here. If he can do all sorts of out there things with other people characters throwing a hissy when someone is using his doesn't garner my sympathy.
    That's actually a terrible argument, it's flawed for several reasons:

1. All of the characters he used were in the public doman, their creators having passed away long ago and any claims to rights were forfeit. He was not stepping on anyone's toes or taking advantage of anyone else's misfortune.
    2. None of those creators were encouraged to sign contracts that were specifically worded to take advantage of their trust. None of those creators were screwed out of the rights to their creations by technicalities.
    3. The world into which Moore placed those characters was entirely of his own invention. He built a world around them (loosely based off of historical Earth), he created the plot, he invented the challenges they faced. None of that is true of Before Watchmen: all of the characters will inhabit the exact same world and timeline Moore created, and the stories are based off of flashbacks and references to their past that Alan inserted in to the Watchmen book.

As to all the characterizations of Moore as a crazy, bitter old man, if you've ever seen a video interview of him you'd know that they are patently false. He's always seemed a genial, intelligent, humorous old fellow to me.

But then, so many people are so addicted to DC's characters that they'll gladly turn around and spit on anyone who badmouths the corporation, even the people responsible for actually creating the stories they love so much.

Well...when you consider the question of the poll, did anyone really expect there to be many people who were going to pre-order Before Watchmen, but were completely swayed in the opposite direction by angry internet fanboy moralists ranting on forums and comments sections?
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW