Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Default Animal Man #9 discussion/spoilers

Let's talk Animal Man issue 9 shall we?

I really enjoyed this issue, mainly because of the Shepherd. Such a cool design with some funny dialogue. I think that remains my favourite thing about this book, how it jumps from nightmare fuel to cute comedy without feeling out of place at all.

Also I knew Constantine would show up, and I'm so glad he did. Didn't realize A-man was going to tie into Justice League Dark but since I'm picking up Lemire's first issue anyway I don't mind.

What you guys think?

Bored with Post Life Jason456701's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue like all the other issues of Animal Man. I loved the Shepherd's design and I hope the tie in with JLD is handled well.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Good, yet again.

i was not digging pugh when he was in the same issues as foreman but now that he's solo, i think he's hit a nice stride and i'm impressed. nice art work. nice issue overall.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I like how Pugh draws Ellen. Those glasses

Well, the beggining of the story liked me. Good way to keep that era in continuity, with no problems.

Well the art is much better. I kind of liked Swamp Thing better this week though.

Another groovy issue. Cool to see Constantine at the ned. Dreading when the book actually crosses over with Swamp thing though. Reference it all you want I just don't care about Swampy or his book.

I've been meaning to pick up Morrison's run since I started reading this and that reference they made on the first page makes me want to buy it even more now.
    V: I'm the good kind of terrorist. The kind that tortures people and blows things up. ...wait.

Alan Moore: I'm a bloody genius!

Butter Baker blondie man was hilarious, looking foward to Justice League Dark.
    Last edited by C_W; 05-03-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Lol. Was sort of a slow issue, but pretty funny and creepy at the same time. Like Pugh LOT more than Foreman. Never got into Foreman's art. So Butter Baker is dead and possessed by the Rot, while his soul travels the Red? Thats what I think is happening, but not 100% sure. an 8/10 for me!

Quote Originally Posted by satish patel View Post
    i was not digging pugh when he was in the same issues as foreman but now that he's solo, i think he's hit a nice stride and i'm impressed. nice art work. nice issue overall.
    Same here. I was unimpressed earlier, but now I'm liking what I see.

As for the story, it was what makes animal man so fun. A nice mixture of nightmare, helplessness and family relationships. It wasn't as strong as the others (which is not a dis) but it was still very enjoyable.

I know I am basically a broken record at this point but I just don't like Pugh's art. I think it's really boring and totally lacks individual personality. Content-wise, he's drawing the same stuff as Foreman, but it feels devoid of life and an original touch. The art in this book just really looks like mid-90s Vertigo house style art to me. The guy who is doing the Animal Man annual later this month (Timothy Green, I think his name is) has much more of a unique art style IMO, so I am looking forward to that issue and I'd actually really hope he gets the full time Animal Man job.

Story wise this was alright. The Baker family is pretty much doing the same stuff. I thought the Shepherd character was incredibly annoying and I hope we don't see him anymore after next issue.

It's really just the art that is killing my interest in this title. I care about art a bit more than writing and to go from Foreman to this...Animal Man used to be my favorite title I buy and now it's near the bottom of my personal list.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Still loving this title. It's a testament to the strong issues of Action and Dial H that this was number 3 on my list.

The plot could definitely be moving a little faster, though. I'm not sure this is concept dense enough to justify the slow pace. Then again, it's a showcase for the characters, and the characterization is AMAZINGLY good, so even taking into account the pace this is still one of the best things out there.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Great characterization and art. Pugh is a great replacement for Foreman IMO. Loved the Shepard, the crow reminded me of the crow-boy in Sweet Tooth. While the plot is relatively simple it just does so much with it character and setting wise.