Default Essential X men colected edition's

I've started buying the collected editions of essential X-Men with a view to adding other collected editions of various teams/solo heroes i notice that the collected editions are in black and white.

Was there a reason for this? and did they ever release or plan on releasing coloured collected editions???
    Wind your neck in Dude, there are polite ways of debating and starting a sentence with "Hello?" ain't one. Nobody likes a smart arse.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

I tried to get into Essentials (I have most of Claremont's run) but I find myself going back more to the original floppies. The lack of color really grates.

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I've started buying the collected editions of essential X-Men with a view to adding other collected editions of various teams/solo heroes i notice that the collected editions are in black and white.

Was there a reason for this? and did they ever release or plan on releasing coloured collected editions???
    Simple reason, cheaper to print and a lower cover price beacuse of that. It's the budget solution to get some of the older stuff. Most of it is collected in more expensive colored versions as well.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by Triforce View Post
    Simple reason, cheaper to print and a lower cover price beacuse of that. It's the budget solution to get some of the older stuff. Most of it is collected in more expensive colored versions as well.
    Not Claremont's glory days, I assure you. Anything from 168 to 200 of Uncanny is NOT collected anywhere but in Essential volumes. Huge oversight on the part of Marvel's collections dept. But we get a CC-Jim Lee omnibus, smdh.

The Essential/ Showcase/ phone book trades are a fantastic way to read up on how your favorite characters evolved.
    I, personally, started reading comics by absorbing Iron Man & Hulk Essentials, and phone book trades are almost the only comics my special lady reads.
    Sure, they're black and white, but it shouldn't bother you too much once you get absorbed into the story. The black and white only gets weird once you get into the more modern comics, like the Savage Dragon Archives, where you loose track of what's going on. But it's worth it to be able to read all those great comics for such a cheap price.

At one point, I figured I would ONLY read phone book trades, due to how fantastic the value is.

And again about the lack of color, it won't bother you if you haven't seen what the original colored versions looked like, and even if you have, black & white seems to age much better. I really enjoy putting some of my brother's old X-Men Classics side by side the phone books, comparing how the pages look.

They're great fun, an awesome value, and so dense with good stories.

But yeah, they're a super cheap alternative, and I like it that way.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Uncanny 168-175(Paul Smith run) was collected in a TBP. I think it was called from the ashes?

I am sure the rest of Claremont's run is collected in color somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    Not Claremont's glory days, I assure you. Anything from 168 to 200 of Uncanny is NOT collected anywhere but in Essential volumes. Huge oversight on the part of Marvel's collections dept. But we get a CC-Jim Lee omnibus, smdh.
    Tell me about it. I want to replace my originals that I misguidedly sold. Hurry up with the Masterworks, Marvel.