Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting speculation about Dark Knight Rises and Dick Grayson(Possible Spoilers)

I just read this article on Joseph Gordon Levitt's character in the Dark Knight. It suggests that while the character isn't named Dick Grayson, he could be a similar character with the same back story, who will take over as Batman in the end. It's a long shot, but considering Nolan has said this movie will be an ENDING to the story, I think it's worth considering. Here's the article:
    http://whatculture.com/film/the-dark...comment-100430

What do you think?

No way is Joseph Gordon-Levitt going to headline a movie franchise like Batman. He's just not that kind of star nor does it make any sense to continue Nolan's stories without him. Not to mention its too early to tell what direction the studio will take POST-Rises.

There will most likely be a push by DC to "join" the varying franchise films similar to what Marvel did with Avengers and make a JLA film in the coming decade. That would most likely mean it would require a total reboot of Batman, more of a fun/action inspired movie ala Iron Man and less of the dark/brooding/realist approach of Nolan's trilogy. It would make the most sense and honestly I think its time.

The idea isn't that JGL would actually take over the Batman franchise. Just that, in this movie, he would take over as Batman at the end. This would definitely not carry over into the reboot WB is planning after TDKR.
    Ginkasa Reviews Everything*
    Current Review: Xenogears

I see this idea floating around everywhere on the internet now, which is hilarious because it's all based on the fact that he has some face time in the trailer. What's even funnier is when people take it as fact because they see it talked about so much.

This was a question way before the trailer hit. There's just alot about Blake we don't know, and what we DO know lends itself to the idea if anything.

I think there's something to it

i think he is someone who is inspired by batman to be a cop and do good but might end up being a superhero.

basically nighhtwing without the baggage but its too early to tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    i think he is someone who is inspired by batman to be a cop and do good but might end up being a superhero.

basically nighhtwing without the baggage but its too early to tell.
    I've never heard of anyone describing Dick Grayson as a character with "baggage."

Life-Long Ring Slinger! samurai_rob's Avatar

I have heard the name "Azrael" kicked about. It would make more sense to me than Nightwing, being as the story seems loosely based on Knightfall. Plus, his name is John. John/Jean... Coincidence? Hmmm... The possibilities boggles the mind!
    Last edited by samurai_rob; 05-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.

My friend is really into this idea that John Blake takes up the mantle because BruceBats dies. In a sense it does fit with what Nolan was trying to get at with his trilogy. Symbolism, legacy, inspiration, etc. Bruce was trying to create an idea with legs, a lasting symbol that would empower the people. That Batman would continue even without Bruce would lend credence to it.

But there's a part of of me that feels the movie won't go that way.

John Blake is clearly a Bat-fan, though.

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    No way is Joseph Gordon-Levitt going to headline a movie franchise like Batman. He's just not that kind of star nor does it make any sense to continue Nolan's stories without him. Not to mention its too early to tell what direction the studio will take POST-Rises.

There will most likely be a push by DC to "join" the varying franchise films similar to what Marvel did with Avengers and make a JLA film in the coming decade. That would most likely mean it would require a total reboot of Batman, more of a fun/action inspired movie ala Iron Man and less of the dark/brooding/realist approach of Nolan's trilogy. It would make the most sense and honestly I think its time.
    Yeah, I know the article suggests that JGL will take over the franchise and start as Batman in the next movie.. but I'm more thinking it might make sense for it to end that way.. or maybe even just end with him as Robin or Nightwing preparing to pick up the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by bhandelman View Post
    I see this idea floating around everywhere on the internet now, which is hilarious because it's all based on the fact that he has some face time in the trailer. What's even funnier is when people take it as fact because they see it talked about so much.
    So very true

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_rob View Post
    I have heard the name "Azrael" kicked about. It would make more sense to me than Nightwing, being as the story seems loosely based on Knightfall. Plus, his name is John. John/Jean... Coincidence? Hmmm... The possibilities boggles the mind!

Everybody knows where the name John Blake came from.

Free your soul and let it fly....

Personally I'd be fine if he's just a cop inspired by Batman to do the right thing and fight the corruption. Remember in TDK Bruce was trying to "retire" with Rachel because he felt Harvey was the hero Gotham deserved a hero that was standing up to the mob and getting results through the system. Bruce was also very much against others doing what he was doing because they didn't have the resources (wearing hockey pads) and because he wanted the Batman symbol to inspire the change to happen the right way, so that people weren't afraid of the crime bosses and would stand up to them and do things the right way through the system.

If John Blake is to take up the mantle though I'm hoping he's secretly Dick Grayson. This wouldn't be the first time Nolan has used an obscure/non-existent character and turned them into someone else by the end ala Ducard/Ra's Al Ghul in Begins and the rumored Talia in this one. Seeing as TDKR takes place 8 years after TDK I could see Blake being Dick Grayson who's circus parents were killed by mob extortionists. Dick could then be put into protective custody and given a new name, John Blake. "Blake" then grows up and inspired by Batman, Harvey, and Gordon decides to become a cop. The events of TDKR could then lead into Bruce not continuing for whatever reason as Batman and "Blake"/Grayson taking over in the end.

I have purposefully been staying away from potential spoilers and such regarding the movie, but I've heard the same speculations about JGL since he was cast. Has there been anything of substance ever mentioned that would lend any credence to them? At 31, he's far too old to be Dick Grayson. Maybe people are remembering him from Brick, which was done when he was, what, 22. Back then, yeah.

Is there even any conformation that JGL' playing a character called John Blake? I havnt heard or seen any footage which refers to him being called John Blake so in my humble opinion he could easily rock up on the 20th july and go hey my names dick im a cop and everyone goes bat crazy in theatres. However I dont think this will be the case, he will be blake he a cop who has some inside scoop so therefore is important and play an important role in batman taking down bane and at the end of the film he will go home and have a nice dinner and a beer (maybe light he is american after all) before bed and go to work the next day. Scene. Its all speculation at this point.