Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Really good issue. I don't think I was blown away by it as much as others were but still, really enjoyable and bursting with ideas. Superdoom had a really interesting alagory for how Superman and superheroes have been treated over the years, and I like how it all ties back to new52 Superman as a social crusader, fighting corporate monsters.

I think my favourite thing about this issue was this version of Luthor though.

"I don't care what they say about me! I'm not a racist!"

I also thought the back up was fantastic, better than the main event for me infact.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

All right, that...was awesome.
    It's actually interesting how little is made by the main story of this Superman being president. Instead, we have a story about the power and the purity of ideas, and the way they can be twisted by the work of a corporation and its appropriation by the masses who then change it into something else. Classic misdirection. The whole thing was pretty well written. The Black Superman is a nice character,very similar to the cvlassic Superman but with a different feel to it. As for Superdoom, well he was threatening, and I'm wondering if the guy's going to escape and go face up against "our" Superman. The analogies with Siegel and Shuster's situation back in 1938 are even more obvious than I thought. Maybe it's just a filler, but if all the fillers are that good, I don't give a damn. And the CEO "that's what lawyersare for" is clearly the Little Man.
    The back up was very good as well, and handled what the main story didn't: what is a president Superman like? Answer: awesome, but raising questions about the legitimacy of his actions and his integrity. I enjoy how the objections raised by some people in the other thread are showcased, but not resolved. Yes, this Superman is lying to the people. But at the same time, he objectively has its best interests in mind. Is he wrong? Is he right? The back up lets you judge.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Multiversity, NOW!!
    Transform the DCnU into DCM!
    By the way, your thoughts on the super-cabinet? Did you recognize all the faces?
    Was that Tom Tresser as the CIA chief? Steel sided with Steel? I saw Captain Atom or it was an coloring mistake?

Thinking about it. This issue may have provided the biggest hint as to the Little Man's motivations. I have a feeling that down the road this issue will be very important to his part in the story.

The Little Man seems to constantly be involved in creating Superman as an idea. It's almost like he goes from universe to universe molding Superman, claiming ownership over the idea within the entire multiverse. I haven't fully fleshed out the theory, but I don't think it's as simple as him being Superman's opponent or even some absolute evil for Supes to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Multiversity, NOW!!
    Transform the DCnU into DCM!
    By the way, your thoughts on the super-cabinet? Did you recognize all the faces?
    Was that Tom Tresser as the CIA chief? Steel sided with Steel? I saw Captain Atom or it was an coloring mistake?
    I think General Haywood was Hank Heywood, the Golden Age Steel.

That was a lot of fun, I know there are those that are going to complain about how this story doesn't connect to the coming of age story of Superman that we started with but honestly I'm not bothered by that. For one I love stand alone stories, they're fun and something of a lost art with most comic writers these days, and secondly though it works as a fun stand alone I realize this is Grant Morrison so there is no doubt in my mind that although this appears to be its ow thing now it will be tied into some on going story later on in a way we just can't see at present.

Okay... so this is what the DCnU should have been! Maybe not all of the racial changes, but familiar concepts completely re-imagined. With only one issue I am far more interested in President Superman than I am with the Superman starring in Action Comics & Superman. The New 52 pulled a "One More Day" and did away with romantic entanglements while leaving much unchanged in some titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Squirrel View Post
    Thinking about it. This issue may have provided the biggest hint as to the Little Man's motivations. I have a feeling that down the road this issue will be very important to his part in the story.

The Little Man seems to constantly be involved in creating Superman as an idea. It's almost like he goes from universe to universe molding Superman, claiming ownership over the idea within the entire multiverse. I haven't fully fleshed out the theory, but I don't think it's as simple as him being Superman's opponent or even some absolute evil for Supes to face.
    Yup. That's right. Filler. Just filler.

Heh. Heh heh heh.

/irony (for the slow afoot).

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Calvin Ellis' story is fascinating and his relationship with Luthor is hilarious,
    I love Luthor shouting "I am not a racist!" I can imagine that in Earth-23 anyone who is not a fan of Superman would be labeled a "racist."

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

Every now and then you get to read a comic that reminds you exactly why you love comics, why you love Supermsn. This was one of those comics.

Take note, writers who aren't Morrison. This is how it's done.
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

I loved the Turtle boy jimmy reference. Morrison finally won me back with this issue
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

I loved the cameo from Manhattan Guardian in the JLA at the end.

BANNED

The Backup was great.

I loved it. This is what Superman's comics should be about. Putting awesome ideas and amazing actions together. If there is one thing I'm little worried it's a little jab at DC. Seems harmless, but we all know that how corporates can be and I want Morrison to be on this comics as long as possible.

Sholly Fisch is doing a great job in backups, this time showing a different way of how the President-Superman can be seen. I like that instead of simply making up some stories, he takes Grant script and gives his own insight into the matter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Every now and then you get to read a comic that reminds you exactly why you love comics, why you love Supermsn. This was one of those comics.

Take note, writers who aren't Morrison. This is how it's done.
    You can't expect every writer who isn't Morrison to write like him.