Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Action Comics #9 - Issue Discussion Thread

Since the other thread has been completly derailed into another direction, I figured I should make a new one, where you can post your thoughts on the actual comic.

With that said..

THIS.

WAS.

Ridiculously, amazingly good.

There's so much information, so many ideas and creativity that it's basically exploding from the page.

It ties back to Final Crisis and Superman beyond - that the worlds of the Multiverse sing together, everything is made out of vibrations, going all the way to the pure ideas.

This world's Superman (who is the president, as you know) encounters a (dying) Clark, Jimmy and Lois from a parellel Universe, travelling through a machine built by his world's Lex Luthor. In that parallel world they were basically Siegel & Schuster analogues - they used the vibrations to make pure thoughts, ideas you could touch, and in that process they came up with the perfect idea, the perfect man - Superman. They imagined "a champion, a thought-powered redeemer capable of saving the world. A made-up messiah" with a "code of ethics so pure and simple and good that we all wept" - and the reason they created this perfect, unbeatable idea was for the simple fact that they wished they could change lives, that they could inspire people - an idea bigger than actors, or rock stars. They imagined something bigger than themselves.

As in real life, their idea was bought by people who eventually strayed away from what it truly was supposed to be, and they created the "violent, troubled anti-hero" who is now hunting them across the Multiverse after being perverted by the thoughts and failings. Superman stopped being something meant to inspire the people out of their weaknesses, their fears and prejudices, and instead became a reflection of them. The same way Siegel & Schuster, or in this case, Clark, Lois and Jimmy wanted to be the ultimate beacon of hope of inspiration, while other people want him to be something else - it's a rather meta-critique on the way Superman's characterization and personality have changed over the years to 'fit' the times/writer's whims, moving further and further away from what he is meant to be, including the concept of 'superhero' in general.

There's so many details and tidbits to comment on, but it's better just to read it for yourself. THIS is exactly what I hoped Grant would deliver when he came on board, and he does so in spades.
    Last edited by Philosophía; 05-02-2012 at 08:16 AM.

It was glorious, the best of the run so far, everything I've ever wanted from Action Comics by Grant Morrison.

Great issue. Far exceed my expectations.

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Holy Sh!t.

This was EPIC...

Here is how you "fix" Superman.

A) Put Grant Morrison on BOTH Superman books.

B) Put Ivan Reis on ACTION...and either keep Jurgens/Merino on art in SUPERMAN or bring in someone equally as adept at rendering a classic looking Superman (armor or no)

C) Get Idelson, DiDio and the rest of DC editorial out of the F--king way.

It's quite simple, really.

Oh my god.

This was just brilliant. I'm at a loss for words. It was just amazingly good from start till finish.

Did anyone else get the sense that Morrison was not only commenting on how some people (*cough* DC and Warner Bros Suits*cough*) want to twist Superman into something he is not meant to be to make him "relevant", but also on the Warner Bros. Vs. Siegel and Shuster heirs legal battle? Sure it's all veiled in subtext, but I think it leaves no doubt on who Morrison sides with here.

Usually, that kind of talk no matter how veiled, against the boss might get you fired (take a bow, Chris Roberson!), but Morrison knows the power he wields within DC and the Superman office. He knows he can get away with more than the average Joe Shmoe writer. He knows that if DC would fire him over something like this, there would be a fan uprising that would break the internet in half.

So, he sneaks by a scathing reprimand of how Superman (and by extension, the classic heroic ideal) has been mishandled in the name of profit, and the greed of giant corporations trampling on the rights of creators within a cosmic and epic Superman story that spans the multiverse and ties back to FINAL CRISIS, which itself was a commentary on comics and continuity.

God I love this guy. His stories occasionally leave me scratching my head, but he has HUGE balls, and he gets who and what Superman should be.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-02-2012 at 10:03 AM.

I liked the Superbully metacommentary. That's a charge that's been levied against Superman since Seduction of the Innocent. I didn't get the Siegal lawsuit, or WB execs feel from Superdoom at all.

Also, the backup was grand. Funny and intelligent, par for the course for Sholly.

"...highest approval rating since Rickard in the '70s."

Well that was... I guess I'd say incredibly amusing to read. The whole first story presented an interesting take on Superman in the villain and offered a similar but different one in the case of President Superman. One thing I liked was the idea of being President sort of being a growth of the social crusader idea. Thinking about it Clark in an effort to help people in his civilian identity could have just as easily started out a local politician as a journalist.

I thought the subtext point (corporate twisting, and WB v. Siegel & Shuster) was a little heavy handed though no worse because of that fact, and maybe even better for it.

Fisch's back-up was a fun read too. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing another E-23 story in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I liked the Superbully metacommentary. That's a charge that's been levied against Superman since Seduction of the Innocent. I didn't get the Siegal lawsuit, or WB execs feel from Superdoom at all.
    The bit where the corporation sort of bully's the creators into surrendering their rights screamed out reference toward the current lawsuit. That was sort of the standard of company vs. creator habits up until the late '80s early 90's (my timeline may be way off).

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post

Also, the backup was grand. Funny and intelligent, par for the course for Sholly.

"...highest approval rating since Rickard in the '70s."
    Maybe I read too much into it, but I think honestly Grant wrote it in such a way you can see whatever you want to see. I'd say it's a bit of both actually.
    Clark, Lois and Jimmy from the alternate universe are clearly Siegel and Shuster avatars/analogues. Superdoom not only represents the corporate influence on deviating Superman from his original roots and concepts, but also the voices within comic fandom who want to see Superman (and other similar characters) changed and altered to reflect a more cynical and less morally clear type of heroic ideal in the name of making them more "relevant". The concept of "hero" becomes so twisted and perverted to the point where he becomes the "villain".

Also it's a commentary on how perception of something often becomes reality.

Oh, and everyone LOVES Prez!
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-02-2012 at 10:20 AM.

BANNED

Yeah this was amazing. I wonder if this Clark will became an alternate Superman.

"Do you have lawyers?"
    The best line from that... wait a minute, is that guy again??
    Also, loved the mention of Prez Rickard.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-02-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: orthographic correction

Great issue, best of the run, super layered, etc etc.

But my personal favorite line? The backup, "He's got the best approval rating since President Rickard back in the 70s!".

Damn straight. My personal favorite Sandman single issue was the Prez issue.

But yeah, this was amazing. Amazing.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Veteran Member

I finally can say without a doubt that I loved this Action Comic issue.

This is the kind of crazyness and metacommentary that I expected from Morrison since issue 1. Calvin Ellis' story is fascinating and his relationship with Luthor is hilarious, I loved how the story of Superdoom represents a Superman gone wrong, the representation of the idea of Superman and an interpretation about what is currently happening, all at the same time.

Of course Sholly Fisch's story is entertaining as usual and another good portrayal of Calvin.

Please Morrison bring this kind of quality for your following issues and Multiversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post

Damn straight. My personal favorite Sandman single issue was the Prez issue.

Sometimes I disagree with you.

This is not one of those times.