Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Lost

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Who cares? Who said that Earth 16 WW is supposed to be the version of WW you want anyway?
    It's been revealed that the Superman of that Earth doesn't have arctic breath, and that Kryptonians aren't as powerful as your classic Superman.
    Why should anything be the way you expect it to be?
    Tradition? Over inflated sense of entitlement? Can't turn off the TV?

First of all, Dr. Hurt, it's not the core fandom. It's a group of fans on a forum who feel slighted. This forum is hardly the core of anything (have you seen how many WW forums are out there?). Tiberious, like many others, has every right to express his opinion about how he feels as long as he doesn't direct those comments at people, and he knows that.

Second, again you make a blanket statement that Wonder Woman fans can't be open-minded and open to new things. Untrue. The voices of a few people don't constitute the entirety of WW fandom. Some are quite open-minded; some less so. It's not a black and white world here. I'm on the fence, actually, about this new WW. Some things I like, some I don't. And, I've been a fan since the early 1970s.

And, third, Azzarello's version of Wonder Woman isn't the breath of fresh air to everyone that it might be to you. Last I checked, this forum is called Wonder Woman, not "Azzarello's Wonder Woman." Let's not make comments that disparage other people. Talking about people whining is just plain rude.

And, Zeeguy91, the same applies. Your comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Wow, FINALLY! An open-minded Wonder Woman fan! I wish more of the people on the Wonder Woman forum were more like you!
    doesn't help. All your comment does is push people into corners so they can come out fighting.

ENOUGH.

Engage in discourse, questions, civil arguing—find out why people don't or do like something. Stop criticizing the people for their feelings. When you've been a fan for 30+ years, sometimes changes hurt. Maybe a little of Diana's compassion to people might mitigate the negativity at times. Maybe an invitation to talk about things might help people than shutting them down.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Good points, i guess i did go a bit overboard there.

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
    Its been announced for months that Diana in Young Justice is the Azzarello version?
    Really? Where was that announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    But seriously, this is supposed to be the new WW for the new age. When they rebooted the whole DCU, they did so to reinvent and update the characters for a more modern audience. This isnt just a temporary thing. DC did this to reestablish its heroes and WW seems to finally be selling. Why would they stick with the old version? The core fanbase? It's not big enough to sustain her when everyone else doesnt care.
    I wouldn't use comic book sales (even assuming they're not continuing to decline) as a measure to assess what version to use in non-comic media platforms, like the YJ cartoon or anything else. Comics are sold to a very small base of rabid fans whose buying habits don't always track quality (e.g., the completist), and even if they did it's a very small audience's measure of quality. If the film adaptations of Watchmen and Green Lantern are any indication, comic sales mean basically nothing with regard to success in other media platforms.

If I were DC, I'd be rolling out a WW for TV, film, or animation properties in a form that looks familiar, keeping in mind the Lynda Carter show, Superfriends, and JLU. And I'd be fearful of a Catwoman-level fiasco.

Good point. But my main point was that sometimes we miss the entire point of the new 52. It's not just a marketing stunt, they also updated their heroes in a way they thought would attact a more modern audience. In other words to do what Johns did for Green Lantern and Aquaman. Updating the costumes, the stories, the way and focus of storytelling, the villains, etc.

I'm not sure if her new Zeus origin would make a big difference to kids watching YJ, but using the new less cheesy suit, the more grounded take on the Amazons, etc should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Good point. But my main point was that sometimes we miss the entire point of the new 52. It's not just a marketing stunt, they also updated their heroes in a way they thought would attact a more modern audience. In other words to do what Johns did for Green Lantern and Aquaman. Updating the costumes, the stories, the way and focus of storytelling, the villains, etc.

I'm not sure if her new Zeus origin would make a big difference to kids watching YJ, but using the new less cheesy suit, the more grounded take on the Amazons, etc should work.
    What do people mean by 'modern audience'. Are the comic book readers of 10-20 years ago to simplistic for today's storytelling?

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    What do people mean by 'modern audience'. Are the comic book readers of 10-20 years ago to simplistic for today's storytelling?
    Of course not, but tastes, fashion and all that evolve with time. You cant publish a 1940ies comicbook today and expect it to sell well. That is why comics need to adapt if they want to keep selling month after month.

For example Johns took the GL franchise and gave it a rehaul. Some retcons here, some redesigns there, bringing back the corps, Hal, redefining Sinestro, etc.

BANNED

Think people tend to forget Wonder Woman as a character is owned by a company that wishes to make money off said character, if said character is not selling the number of books the company hope it will, then they will do something to change that, and that does mean that they wont consider anything particularly sacred. If the character was important in another connection some 20+ years ago because of something particular, then you can bet they will forget about that if it means it will increase sales if they take it in another direction.

Bottom line is that DC looked at it this way:
    "Batman and Green Lantern is selling ok...we must be doing that right then."
    "Wonder Woman...hmm, in the bottom 1/4 of the top 100...we must be doing something wrong there since our super-wellknown character is selling so little."

You Can't Dye My Hair GoldStarz's Avatar

Considering how poorly the profiles were put together, the fact that Greg had a timeline already made for the show prior to the N52, the fact that WW is 90 as of time skip, and that demigods age at normal pace. I'd say WW isn't N52 WW.

That said, if she is Azzarelo!WW, good for you guys.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldStarz View Post
    Considering how poorly the profiles were put together, the fact that Greg had a timeline already made for the show prior to the N52, the fact that WW is 90 as of time skip, and that demigods age at normal pace. I'd say WW isn't N52 WW.
    Azzarello's Amazons are apparently immortal; being an offspring of a god and an Amazon probably yields immortality as well. Not sure whether it is established how demigods age in the DC universe. Fortunately, the Azzarello Amazons are not suited to figure in the origin story of a Saturday morning cartoon. DC's official WW character page continues as of a couple weeks ago to display Hughes and Dodson art as well as the Jim Lee costume, so I wouldn't put great stock in what a Comixology profile says.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    AWESOME! If I recall correctly, that same background appears behind Cassie in one of the promos, with her doing some bullet deflecting as well. Maybe we'll get a little more insight into her character with Wonder Woman in the scene???
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    AWESOME! If I recall correctly, that same background appears behind Cassie in one of the promos, with her doing some bullet deflecting as well. Maybe we'll get a little more insight into her character with Wonder Woman in the scene???
    It could also be a scene from the missing 16 hours when the League was under the control of Savage and Klarion.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Wow, Comixology, Aquaman is stronger and smarter than Wonder Woman ?