Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

This and Daredevil are the 2 best comics Marvel has running right now. Yet another good issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Not exactly. They showed concern during the summit, and outside of that we get, what, two panels of two or three New Yorkers taking Ock's side (sort of)? It's a taste of the normal citizen's view on things, but it's hardly conclusive.
    True, at the summit, you see word balloons of voices essentially saying "How do we know this isn't a hoax," but at the same time, they're not exactly against the idea of the Octavian Lens, either. And few as they may be, the normal citizen's view was completely in Doc Ock's favor, something which was reinforced in the scene with Doc Ock watching news boradcasts around the world in this issue. Granted, I know I idea is to create a situation in which Spidey is "alone against the world when he's actually right" and what not, but we never really get the sense that people are "on edge" and unsure about Doc Ock's true intentions like MJ claims.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Ock said he had plans within plans, so I've got to think there's something else to it. Especially since his secret pact with Rhino has yet to be revealed, and it's kind of moot if the entire earth is dead.

I liked Pete's tender moment with Sable...and how it segueways into some secret plan on MJ's part to make sure the world recognizes Pete as the hero he really is. I suspect we're inching closer to the scenario where MJ fans get what they want, but now how they want it...
    I've been guessing for a while since Dan Slott said MJ would get a new direction,(status quo change, new dynamic, career whatever, cant remember exact words) that maybe MJ's history with the marvel U media/entertainment world would be involved somehow. I have no idea how but something having to do with tv host or superhero publicity.

It would be pretty interesting because MJ being gung-ho publicly for spiderman would put a wrench in her publicly dating Peter.

Could also give MJ an excuse to hang around avengers again with wolverine hitting on her again.
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Of course you would say that. Because you're a New Yorker, and they all think alike.
    If I wanted a Texan's opinion, I'd fly into your state, rather than over it.

Capiche?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Just bustn' yer balls, Davey. Yer a good kid. Ever wanna make a few extra bucks, you come see me, Big Tony. I'll put ya to work.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    But yeah, I liked it for the most part, particularly the scene in which Spidey professes his loyalty for MJ in spite of Silver Sable's advances, and the "shock ending."
    He never mentioned MJ when he dated Carol Danvers. And he certainly never mentioned MJ to Jessica Drew or Felicia Hardy either. I feel that Peter's next relationship set up will be Mary Jane. But it might not be how we want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    I've been guessing for a while since Dan Slott said MJ would get a new direction,(status quo change, new dynamic, career whatever, cant remember exact words) that maybe MJ's history with the marvel U media/entertainment world would be involved somehow. I have no idea how but something having to do with tv host or superhero publicity.

It would be pretty interesting because MJ being gung-ho publicly for spiderman would put a wrench in her publicly dating Peter.

Could also give MJ an excuse to hang around avengers again with wolverine hitting on her again.
    I certainly HOPE that MJ stays as far away from Spidey's superhero community as possible. Too much of a tempting target for super villains to take advantage of her to get to Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 05-02-2012 at 05:01 PM.

I don't quite get it, am I forgetting something? Why is Peter being loyal to MJ? Was there some exchange that I missed where he showed he was totally over Carlie, not looking for a rebound thing, and now all about MJ again? You know, before Silver Sable? That just seemed out of the blue.

Otherwise, great issue, I like the way Ramos draws the new suit, it's way less bulky and awkward looking here. Also, I don't believe the ending for a second. It's simply too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    He never mentioned MJ when he dated Carol Danvers. And he certainly never mentioned MJ to Jessica Drew or Felicia Hardy either. I feel that Peter's next relationship set up will be Mary Jane. But it might not be how we want it to be.
    Well, lets not forget that things were still relatively uneasy between Peter and MJ during that time due to their subsequent break-up as they hadn't really sat down to talk things over just yet. Not to mention Spider-Island more than likely reminded Peter of just how much MJ meant to him, even though he was still dating Carlie--before she broke up with him soon after, that is. So I think it's understandable why he doesn't reciprocate Sable's obvious romantic feelings for him.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

This issue felt very meaty, with lots of things going on, and I liked it, but the more I think about it the more little things that start to bother me. =\ I'm such a nitpicker.

- Art's great. Simple enough. But nothing more to say.

- Hey! Cameos! Nifty.

- The plot points with the villains was very well done. Chameleon doesn't give a **** about this other stuff. He just wants money and power, and now he has more money than he'll ever need. Mysterio is still a prideful guy, though, so he is more inclined to see it through. And then Titanium man being a bad guy but not really a bad guy (though I don't know enough about Marvel history to question this, I think I fought this guy in the Ultimate Alliance 2 game though. >_>) so he tips off Black Widow.

-The overall plot was pretty good if a little pointless. I mean, was he just searching for Doc's base? Because if he was trying to prevent them from reaching 200, then he should have been able to see that wasn't really possible and have moved on to a different plan. And another thing, the man has captured the avengers, who are recognized heroes. Wouldn't that be enough to stop people from trusting him? I'm a little concerned that most of this issue wasn't there just to introduce us to those B heroes that they're going to kill some of. Kinda hard to describe my feelings on this one. Like, I like where this book took us from to where it got us to, and it does a pretty good job of getting us there, but the end makes what happened in between seem kind of pointless. Maybe?

-Black Widow is still there. Yep. Makes for a nice cover though. I wonder, was the real reason she was put there just for the moment when Titanium man contacts her? Maybe....

-If Spider-Man had a instant-Rhino stopper thing...why didn't he just use it to begin with. -_-

-Spider-Man's changed? Since when? How? His "I'm not going to let anyone die but I am going to **** you up pretty badly" stance has been his modus operandi for his entire existence. It's caused him to get into scuffles with Sable before. This should be no surprise for her.

- Since when did begrudging respect of ability turn into "I want you to bone me"? Sable has always been professional, almost to a comical degree, and kinda cold, to boot (at one point not paying Spider-Man because he deviated from the plan ever so slightly to help Sandman) throughout there entire working relationship, not once even hinting at any kind of romantic inclination. If anything, he seemed to be another card she just tolerated because of his ability to get things done. This just comes out of nowhere, kinda, but, then, well....

-The hell is up with Spider-Man's reaction? There is someone? Since When? Last time we saw you were trying to shack up with Felicia for fun and games. Did something happen that the comic forget to tell us about? Or has he done a 180 from OMIT and no longer feels "set free". Or hell, is he even talking about Mary Jane? I mean, if we're talking about a romance that has appeared out of nowhere, it could be damn well anybody. Obviously Betty went to him for consolation after her last break up...or something. I mean, let's be clear, Peter's always been the devoted type, to be sure, but he's also only been that devoted type when he's actually in a relationship. Which he wasn't in....unless we just haven't been shown it.

- So, I want to be happy that they seem to be moving things back in the appropriate direction in re: Mary Jane, but let's be serious. That's not what it is. That's the set-up for let down. It's the hook. And I know it's that not just because I lack faith, but also because I understand dramatic progression. You don't foreshadow the couple meeting up unless that meeting is going to go horribly wrong or be subverted in some manner. I don't know what he's playing at. But I know he's playing at something.

Anyway, I liked the issue overall, but are there two quibbles I have about it.

One is Spidey allowing Sable to torture Sandman. Granted, it does get across the point that Spidey is desperate and that it's also clear that he's relieved that Sandman didn't call his bluff, it just doesn't feel right for a character like Spider-Man to go into the Jack Bauer territory.
    Spider-Man has a long history of terrorism and pain inducement to get people to tell him what he wants. I don't know what you're talking about.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    I don't quite get it, am I forgetting something? Why is Peter being loyal to MJ? Was there some exchange that I missed where he showed he was totally over Carlie, not looking for a rebound thing, and now all about MJ again? You know, before Silver Sable? That just seemed out of the blue.

Otherwise, great issue, I like the way Ramos draws the new suit, it's way less bulky and awkward looking here. Also, I don't believe the ending for a second. It's simply too soon.
    To be fair, there have been hints since OMD that Peter has never really gotten over MJ completely, even when he did decide to move on with Carlie. That would explain one of the reasons why Peter chose to keep it secret from Carlie that he was Spider-Man despite what a bad idea that would be, and how he seemed to completely forget all about her during Spider-Island. In fact, I believe Spider-Island is what reaffirmed for Peter why MJ was important to him. Not to mention he did go to MJ during that "time travel story."

To be fair, there have been hints since OMD that Peter has never really gotten over MJ completely, even when he did decide to move on with Carlie. That would explain one of the reasons why Peter chose to keep it secret from Carlie that he was Spider-Man despite what a bad idea that would be, and how he seemed to completely forget all about her during Spider-Island. In fact, I believe Spider-Island is what reaffirmed for Peter why MJ was important to him. Not to mention he did go to MJ during that "time travel story."
    I guess her looks are too much for Peter to resist

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    - Since when did begrudging respect of ability turn into "I want you to bone me"? Sable has always been professional, almost to a comical degree, and kinda cold, to boot (at one point not paying Spider-Man because he deviated from the plan ever so slightly to help Sandman) throughout there entire working relationship, not once even hinting at any kind of romantic inclination. If anything, he seemed to be another card she just tolerated because of his ability to get things done. This just comes out of nowhere, kinda, but, then, well....
    I dunno, I always thought it was odd that Sable went out of her way to contact Spidey for jobs when there are several just as competant heroes roaming New York, and other characters of a more mercenary nature that would be easier to employ. (A Hero for Hire if you will...) and yet she always made a big show of recruiting him with front page newspaper ads and what not. Sable being attracted to the wall-crawler makes more sense in that context. There was never any real romantic inclination in his relationship with Detective Jean DeWolff either, and we all saw how that ended.

It kind of bugs me if they decide Pete is not going to date anyone else and spend his nights pining away for MJ, since Marvel isn't going to let the two get remarried. Is he the Amazing Spider-Eunuch???

Not a giant fan of this issue. A lot of it has to do with Ramos. I might be dropping the book until he's gone. Casselli is just so much better. Marvel sold this arc like he was going to be doing the whole thing and now we're stuck with Ramos and his terrible cartoony characters and horrid faces. Also it's kind of stupid that apparently half of the world is destroyed and this isn't showing up in any other book. I mean, I understand how you can fit things into continuity and such but destroying half the world is a pretty big deal. Will stay on for the rest of this arc but so far Batm- er Spider-Man isn't doing it for me.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I dunno, I always thought it was odd that Sable went out of her way to contact Spidey for jobs when there are several just as competant heroes roaming New York, and other characters of a more mercenary nature that would be easier to employ. (A Hero for Hire if you will...) and yet she always made a big show of recruiting him with front page newspaper ads and what not. Sable being attracted to the wall-crawler makes more sense in that context. There was never any real romantic inclination in his relationship with Detective Jean DeWolff either, and we all saw how that ended.

It kind of bugs me if they decide Pete is not going to date anyone else and spend his nights pining away for MJ, since Marvel isn't going to let the two get remarried. Is he the Amazing Spider-Eunuch???
    I feel that Silver Sable has been attracted to Spider-Man ever since The Assassination Plot saga. Since he was married, he couldn't necessary make the moves on Sable by asking her out. He never knew that she had feelings for him in the same manner as Ms. Marvel. I think that it might be in their best interest to keep things at the friends level. But if she ever got to really know the man behind the mask, all bets are off because Silver would definitely know that she and Peter Parker have a lot more in common than they realize. Like his past relationship with The Black Cat and Ms. Marvel, I seriously doubt that Silver's feelings for Spider-Man will go away just like that because the Pandora's box is already open the moment she kissed him. This means Silver Sable might also know who Spider-Man really is because she could use Spider-Man's saliva to do a DNA profile check to know who he is. That how creative she can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    Not a giant fan of this issue. A lot of it has to do with Ramos. I might be dropping the book until he's gone. Casselli is just so much better. Marvel sold this arc like he was going to be doing the whole thing and now we're stuck with Ramos and his terrible cartoony characters and horrid faces. Also it's kind of stupid that apparently half of the world is destroyed and this isn't showing up in any other book. I mean, I understand how you can fit things into continuity and such but destroying half the world is a pretty big deal. Will stay on for the rest of this arc but so far Batm- er Spider-Man isn't doing it for me.
    Casselli is coming back in ASM #686 and #687. I think that the destruction of the Silver's homeland might be an illusion made by Mysterio.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 05-02-2012 at 06:07 PM.