Default Anime Suggestion

Can anyone suggest any cool anime to watch? Specifically newer ones, but I don't really have a preference. Scratch that, I do prefer dubs over subs, and if it's 100% romance, I don't want to hear it :P.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

You'd need to be a bit more specific about the types you'd like. Any genre preferences? I personally really love Full Metal Alchemist (both versions) and Soul Eater (though the anime only ending fizzled a bit IMHO) which are both completed, but you may not like those types.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast View Post
    You'd need to be a bit more specific about the types you'd like. Any genre preferences? I personally really love Full Metal Alchemist (both versions) and Soul Eater (though the anime only ending fizzled a bit IMHO) which are both completed, but you may not like those types.
    Oh sorry, I should have given my genre preferences. I tend to go for mostly fantasy and sci-fi, but can also enjoy some horror or some really dark stuff (things like Darker Than Black for example). Anything that's action/adventure would also be fine, as well. I hope that gives you a bit clearer picture to go from.
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

The mecha genre has has a lot of action/sci-fi stuff to choose from. The largest franchise is Gundam, which basically deals with a war between space colonies and earth using "Mobile suits" (Giant robots) but also dwelves into some deep stuff like the evolution of man in space, the cost of war and other issues. There's also a "Star Wars" esque family drama among all this. Although the colorful title suit betrays it's late 70's origins, Gundam is often celebrated as the first 'real' mecha show, in which the robot was used more as a piece of equipment than a superhero. There have of course been tons of spinoffs and other stuff over the years, not all of which follow the original concept.

Also very popular is the Macross series, which has had an interesting history. Basically, the first Macross series was the first part of Robotech, with name and terminology changes plus two other animes melded into it. Robotech has pretty much become it's own tangent although Macross is still going strong in Japan, but unfortunately due to some rights screw up only a few of Macross's series are available. They include the original series, Macross II (Sort of an 'alternate' sequel) and Macross Plus, a well-animated video series that was a big hit in the 90s and doesn't require too much knowledge of the original series. Unfortunately, Macross Seven, Macross Frontier and a few other things have never made it to the US officially.
    Basically Macross is about a giant alien space ship which crashes on Earth, with it's technology reverse-engineered by humankind to develop stuff like transforming robot fighter jets. Eventually an alien armada arrives looking for the ship, and there's sort of a chase between this armada and the ship, and along the way the aliens, although being giants with blue and green skin, discover they're not all that different from the humans due to the power of music.

If you're looking for something without mecha, I would suggest the Cowboy Bebop series. It's about an odd group of space-faring bounty hunters, each with their own secrets/dark pasts/etc. It's well animated for an anime TV series and features a lot of style and great (mostly not J-pop) music. It's "Western in space" style has had many imitations, and might have also inspired Joss Whedon's "Firefly".

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The mecha genre has has a lot of action/sci-fi stuff to choose from. The largest franchise is Gundam, which basically deals with a war between space colonies and earth using "Mobile suits" (Giant robots) but also dwelves into some deep stuff like the evolution of man in space, the cost of war and other issues. There's also a "Star Wars" esque family drama among all this. Although the colorful title suit betrays it's late 70's origins, Gundam is often celebrated as the first 'real' mecha show, in which the robot was used more as a piece of equipment than a superhero. There have of course been tons of spinoffs and other stuff over the years, not all of which follow the original concept.

Also very popular is the Macross series, which has had an interesting history. Basically, the first Macross series was the first part of Robotech, with name and terminology changes plus two other animes melded into it. Robotech has pretty much become it's own tangent although Macross is still going strong in Japan, but unfortunately due to some rights screw up only a few of Macross's series are available. They include the original series, Macross II (Sort of an 'alternate' sequel) and Macross Plus, a well-animated video series that was a big hit in the 90s and doesn't require too much knowledge of the original series. Unfortunately, Macross Seven, Macross Frontier and a few other things have never made it to the US officially.
    Basically Macross is about a giant alien space ship which crashes on Earth, with it's technology reverse-engineered by humankind to develop stuff like transforming robot fighter jets. Eventually an alien armada arrives looking for the ship, and there's sort of a chase between this armada and the ship, and along the way the aliens, although being giants with blue and green skin, discover they're not all that different from the humans due to the power of music.

If you're looking for something without mecha, I would suggest the Cowboy Bebop series. It's about an odd group of space-faring bounty hunters, each with their own secrets/dark pasts/etc. It's well animated for an anime TV series and features a lot of style and great (mostly not J-pop) music. It's "Western in space" style has had many imitations, and might have also inspired Joss Whedon's "Firefly".
    Those all sound really good. Thanks for the suggestion, Chrislll.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is coming out in the US now. The first two volumes have been released, and the last one is due out next month. It looks like a typical cute magical girl story on the face of it, but it's really a horror series. The main character has to figure out whether or not to become a magical girl as she discovers over the course of the series just how horrific the fate of a magical girl can be. It was a tremendously popular series in Japan. (12 episodes.)
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey