Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don't pee in the (Dead)pool View Post
    Cable & Deadpool #50...

LOL! Thanks! That was great

Whoever unlocked the police car door remembers, because otherwise why would they have done it? That entity, whoever it is, exists in current continuity. And I imagine Uatu and a number of other cosmic types know about it. But thats like one of us "knowing" that they saw an ant. Sure, somewhere in the back of our mind the ant registered, but its not in the old active memory and we sure don't care about it.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Hopefully they never get back together.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    LOL! Thanks! That was great
    meh not as great as that time both He and Blind Al went to the past and mucked around with them.

Cyclops ad portas

Ignoring Mephisto (though I think he would remember for the record) they hinted that MJ remembered at first but at this point I don't think anyone remembers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AaronStC View Post
    Ignoring Mephisto (though I think he would remember for the record) they hinted that MJ remembered at first but at this point I don't think anyone remembers.

Well, I always assumed that Mary Jane's terms to Mephisto about staying out of Peter's life was Marvel's means of undoing the deal if it ever came down for them to do so. So...going by that Mephisto would have to remember in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronStC View Post
    That was simply speculation based on the fact that Mary Jane whispered something to Mephisto before the end of OMD. It turned out to be considerably less important, but the idea has stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Well, I always assumed that Mary Jane's terms to Mephisto about staying out of Peter's life was Marvel's means of undoing the deal if it ever came down for them to do so. So...going by that Mephisto would have to remember in my opinion.
    I don't think so. I think the whisper was something that got way more attention and was way bigger than Quesada ever intended it to be. I think that's why, in OMIT, it turned out to be so insignificant, it was just tying up loose strings.

I mean, Mephisto has only ever interacted with Mr. Parker one time to my knowledge before OMD, and that wasn't even a direct interaction, Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion so the Beyonder wouldn't erase all of reality. And heck, Mephisto HELPED ol' Spidey there.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    That was simply speculation based on the fact that Mary Jane whispered something to Mephisto before the end of OMD. It turned out to be considerably less important, but the idea has stuck around.

I don't think so. I think the whisper was something that got way more attention and was way bigger than Quesada ever intended it to be. I think that's why, in OMIT, it turned out to be so insignificant, it was just tying up loose strings.

I mean, Mephisto has only ever interacted with Mr. Parker one time to my knowledge before OMD, and that wasn't even a direct interaction, Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion so the Beyonder wouldn't erase all of reality. And heck, Mephisto HELPED ol' Spidey there.
    Why did Mephisto pick Spidey again?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

I believe the terms apply to Mephisto messing in Peter's life now in this post-OMD reality. If he messes in Peter's life now I suspect that will break his terms with MJ and that will undo the effects of the deal and the marriage would be restored.

Those terms are Marvel's way out to reverse the deal if they ever decide to do so.

To me those terms would also come into play for any teams that Peter is a part of. Mephisto can't mess with any its members either because one member of a team affects another to some degree, but it's possible I suppose that the messing could be specifically limited to Peter, but I don't see how Mephisto messing with other members of the team won't affect Peter in some form as well.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

I believe the terms apply to Mephisto messing in Peter's life now in this post-OMD reality.
    only if you can prove mephsito is unaffected by changes to the time line. For example, if he is affected by those changes his deal and subsequent actions that cause the new reality would simply erase the deal. Due to that, he wouldnt have made a deal so he has no terms to follow.

The problem is the establishment that he still knows he made a deal. Prove that and then you have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Why did Mephisto pick Spidey again?
    I'm not sure he actually did. IIRC Beyonder kinda shoved him onto Mephisto.

I believe the terms apply to Mephisto messing in Peter's life now in this post-OMD reality. If he messes in Peter's life now I suspect that will break his terms with MJ and that will undo the effects of the deal and the marriage would be restored.

Those terms are Marvel's way out to reverse the deal if they ever decide to do so.

To me those terms would also come into play for any teams that Peter is a part of. Mephisto can't mess with any its members either because one member of a team affects another to some degree, but it's possible I suppose that the messing could be specifically limited to Peter, but I don't see how Mephisto messing with other members of the team won't affect Peter in some form as well.
    I'm simply saying I don't think that was the intent. Quesada worked very hard to get to this point, I don't think he would put an out of something he considered fixing the greatest mistake of the franchise, nor something he spent so much time working on. I think the whole "you won't mess with Peter again" thing was just the least impact thing he could think of that Mary Jane whispered to Mephisto, so he went with that.

As for the rest of it, it's a paradox, trying to make sense of it won't work, that's why it's a paradox. It logically cannot exist, but because this is a fictional story that come hell or high water would work out this way, it does exist. It doesn't make sense, and thinking about it just makes your brain hurt.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    only if you can prove mephsito is unaffected by changes to the time line. For example, if he is affected by those changes his deal and subsequent actions that cause the new reality would simply erase the deal. Due to that, he wouldnt have made a deal so he has no terms to follow.

The problem is the establishment that he still knows he made a deal. Prove that and then you have your answer.

If Mephisto had no knowledge of the deal then he would have no control over the specific events to form the post-OMD reality. In disguise Mephisto was the red pigeon and the nurse dressed in red.

Mephisto as the red pigeon claimed what he wanted...the marriage.

Mephisto as the nurse dressed in red gave Peter and Mary Jane what they wanted...his power made it possible for Peter to save his aunt May via CPR and then he ratted Peter out to the Kingpin (if I recall correctly) which lead him to act to restore his secret identity via Dr. Strange, Reed, and Iron Man.

Mephisto took action after the deal was made if he had no knowledge of the deal after it was made then he wouldn't have been able to take action in the first place and Peter and Mary Jane would still be married.

Mephisto's very action to undo the marriage is proof that he remembers making the deal.
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 05-05-2012 at 12:34 AM.

If Mephisto had no knowledge of the deal then he would have no control over the specific events to form the post-OMD reality. In disguise Mephisto was the red pigeon and the nurse dressed in red.

Mephisto as the nurse dressed in red gave Peter and Mary Jane what they wanted...his power made it possible for Peter to save his aunt May via CPR and then he ratted Peter out to the Kingpin (if I recall correctly) which lead him to act to restore his secret identity via Dr. Strange, Reed, and Iron Man.

Mephisto took action after the deal was made if he had no knowledge of the deal after it was made then he wouldn't have been able to take action in the first place and Peter and Mary Jane would still be married.

Mephisto's very action to undo the marriage is proof that he remembers making the deal.
    I haven't read O.M.I.T.. Posts like this make me even more determined to not read it.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Mephisto wasnt the nurse. That was never shown in OMIT. Page number that proves shes Mephisto, or a scan? Just because she had red hair does not mean shes Mephisto. That is called a red herring. In fact the nurse left town scared of the kingpin and what he would do. Why would Mephisto be scared of the kingpin?

Also simple time travel... until that door unlocked and Eddie left the car, the old timeline still exists. For example, had the bird unlocked the car and Eddie stayed in the car, the marriage would have happened still.

Also its important the to note that the bird acts like its going to unlock the door... then it leaves panel, never to be seen again.... then the door unlocks. Then eddie takes his opportunity to exit the car.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Mephisto wasnt the nurse. That was never shown in OMIT. Page number that proves shes Mephisto, or a scan? Just because she had red hair does not mean shes Mephisto. That is called a red herring. In fact the nurse left town scared of the kingpin and what he would do. Why would Mephisto be scared of the kingpin?

Also simple time travel... until that door unlocked and Eddie left the car, the old timeline still exists. For example, had the bird unlocked the car and Eddie stayed in the car, the marriage would have happened still.

Also its important the to note that the bird acts like its going to unlock the door... then it leaves panel, never to be seen again.... then the door unlocks. Then eddie takes his opportunity to exit the car.

I just realized something even if Mephisto doesn't exist outside of time (even though I believe he does) he'd still remember the deal being made.

When one travels back in time and changes something and then returns to the altered present they and they alone are aware of the changes to the timeline.

That red pigeon (Mephisto in disguise) went back in time to let Eddie out of the car and then returned to the present. Due to being the time traveler Mephisto would be aware of the changes to the timeline and not be affected by them.

Another example would be Marty McFly in the Back To The Future. He altered his parents' past and was aware of the changes that were made when he returned to the present. That means he retained the knowledge of the original timeline and was unaffected by those changes himself.

So...existing outside of time or not since Mephisto is responsible for making the changes to the timeline he and he alone has knowledge of the original timeline in which the deal was made, is unaffected by the changes in the timeline, and is fully aware of the changes made in the altered reality.

I shoot, I score! Booyah!!!!
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 05-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.