Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Jaded and cynical readers who will never get over it and simply enjoy the book as it's the best it's been in recent memory?
    /real answer? I think Uatu knows what's up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Jaded and cynical readers who will never get over it and simply enjoy the book as it's the best it's been in recent memory?
    /real answer? I think Uatu knows what's up.

Well, look at it this way...if a future writer ever comes up with a great story between Mephisto and Spider-Man they won't be able to do it due to the existence of OMD in this new continuity because according to the terms with MJ Mephisto can't mess around in Peter's life otherwise the deal would be undone.

In fact Mephisto can't even mess around with any teams that Spider-Man is a part of either because what affects the team affects him.

As long as OMD is in play it limits writers from having Mephisto mess around in Peter's life and the lives of the teams he's a part of due to the terms MJ has with Mephisto.

I wonder if Joe Quesada even considered that when he decided to undo the marriage to begin with.
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 05-02-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Well, look at it this way...if a future writer ever comes up with a great story between Mephisto and Spider-Man they won't be able to do it due to the existence of OMD in this new continuity because according to the terms with MJ Mephisto can't mess around in Peter's life otherwise the deal would be undone.

In fact Mephisto can't even mess around with any teams that Spider-Man is a part of either because what affects the team affects him.

As long as OMD is in play it limits writers from having Mephisto mess around in Peter's life and the lives of the teams he's a part of due to the terms MJ has with Mephisto.

I wonder if Joe Quesada even considered that when he decided to undo the marriage to begin with.
    Good. I don't particularly care for Mephisto stories. And it's not like there aren't limitless "lords of hell" that can be used in his place if a "Devil" story must be told.

I would imagine Mephisto, God, and the Watcher, definitely. Other super-cosmic entities, like Galactus, may have the capacity to remember, but might not have noticed/cared.

What I can't believe is that God hasn't done anything about it. I mean, Mephisto straight up said he was doing to to thumb his nose at God by removing some of the love from His universe, and apparently God's only reaction to that is, "You got me. Good one."
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Right now this is a schroedinger's cat situation.

It has yet to be established who, if anyone, remembers the deal.

It is entirely possible that no one is aware of it. As far as everyone in the Marvel Universe, the deal occurred in an alternate reality. They would know as much about it as they would about the events in What If?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

I believe Mephisto exists outside of time. But, what you stated above that's in bold doesn't make any sense. Mephisto wouldn't have acted in the first place unless there was a deal. The deal not happening in the post-OMD reality is irrelevant. The deal happened in the original reality which created the post-OMD reality.

If the deal never happened then the post-OMD reality wouldn't exist to begin with. The post-OMD reality is proof that the deal happened and that Mephisto remembers it because he made the changes that formed the post-OMD reality...and he has to remember it in order to abide by Mary Jane's terms which stills carries weight even in the post-OMD reality.

It's a classic example of the domino effect.
    ah but after the deal happens the OMD reality ceases to exist as the same reality that OMIT occurs in. Hence why the original question is important. If you feel that Mephisto is outside of time, then he would be unaffected by said change.

Once eddie leaves the car.... time is changed. The marriage doesnt happen, thus the trade cant happen. Its a classic case of erasing ones self. (IE you go back and accidentally kill one of your parents... you cease to be... just like Legion did in AOA)

But regardless Mets is right, on this one... simply isnt any info to say one way or the other.

BANNED

Well, since Mephisto wanted to get one up on God going by OMD you would think that he exists outside of time to remember that he did get the one up by succeeding in making the deal. Otherwise what would be the point of Mephisto making the deal in the first place?

what deal?
    Cyclops ad portas

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    what deal?

The deal that created this alternate reality that is now the post-OMD universe and no longer the 616 universe. In the original 616 universe Peter and Mary Jane were married.

In a way you can consider OMD to be the reboot point of the entire 616 universe...everything from it on takes place in an alternate reality.
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 05-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

The deal that created this alternate reality that is now the post-OMD universe and no longer the 616 universe. In the original 616 universe Peter and Mary Jane were married.

In a way you can consider OMD to be the reboot point of the entire 616 universe...everything from it on takes place in an alternate reality.
    If that's the argument, 616 hasn't existed for a long time because of time travel. But if Reed Richards is to be believed, then realities can continue on without creating an alternate reality if the changes are small enough.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Oh, and Deadpool remembers.

Or he's just batshit insane.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Oh, and Deadpool remembers.

Or he's just batshit insane.
    He does?! When was that referenced?

I wish I didn't......

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Some issue of Deadpool where he's fighting Spider-Man. Can't remember the number.

-Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Cable & Deadpool #50...

R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013