Default Avengers v. X-Men: different "voices" of the characters

Hello,

I have just finished reading the second issue of Avengers v. X-Men and I have this feeling that the series' writers are not doing a very good job in putting the right voices into all the characters.

First of all, don't you think quite awkward that Scott starts all this mess and that Captain America just follows him into the battle? I have known these characters for almost thirty years now and I think both of them would have tried to settle the matter together, much more than they did in the first issue. The general feeling of this battle is somehow awkward.

Other examples.

Page 7: Captain America says "Take the beach" but I would have expected something like "Scott, we are here to talk".

Page 10: why Magneto has not just crashed Iron Man's metal suit before he knew he was coming? I know Iron Man activated anti-magnetism measures but come on, we are talking about Magneto! I am sure he could totally crash these measures in a second.

Page 12: Storm tells to Black Panther "You stubborn, pigheaded man"! Are we still talking about Ororo and TChalla? Because I don't see them using these kind of words. I would have expected something like "My beloved, we must stop this fight".

What do you think?

In terms of voices for characters I think that was always going to be a problem in this event with 5 different writers writing their own issues and that's just the main event itself. Not to mention the tie-in books that Gage and Remender will be working on.

As for the examples you gave I agree it doesn't make any sense when you really look at it. I'm not expecting much in terms of quality writing from this story personally, I'm just reading it for silly fun at this point.

I think... this could have easily been put into an already existing thread.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by botolo View Post
    Hello,

I have just finished reading the second issue of Avengers v. X-Men and I have this feeling that the series' writers are not doing a very good job in putting the right voices into all the characters.

First of all, don't you think quite awkward that Scott starts all this mess and that Captain America just follows him into the battle? I have known these characters for almost thirty years now and I think both of them would have tried to settle the matter together, much more than they did in the first issue. The general feeling of this battle is somehow awkward.

Other examples.

Page 7: Captain America says "Take the beach" but I would have expected something like "Scott, we are here to talk".
    Quoth the Dude; "That's just, like, your opinion, man." If they were just going to have a tea party and hash out their differences rationally, there wouldn't be much to this story.

Page 10: why Magneto has not just crashed Iron Man's metal suit before he knew he was coming? I know Iron Man activated anti-magnetism measures but come on, we are talking about Magneto! I am sure he could totally crash these measures in a second.
    See AvX Vs #1 for the reason for this.

Page 12: Storm tells to Black Panther "You stubborn, pigheaded man"! Are we still talking about Ororo and TChalla? Because I don't see them using these kind of words. I would have expected something like "My beloved, we must stop this fight".
    It's unfortunate that you're not being paid to write this series.

What do you think?
    I think "voice" is subjective.
    Last edited by CSPDX; 05-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

It's Bendis. The word continuity is foreign to him.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It's Bendis. The word continuity is foreign to him.
    Actually, it's Aaron who wrote the issue featuring these quotes. But way to go on the snarky generalization, you do the Internet proud.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

they have to shoe horn characters into certain slots to make the story "work."

For events, IMO, read them with your mind turned off, wait until the end, see what important stuff really happened, and go back to the books you like.

Quote Originally Posted by CSPDX View Post
    Actually, it's Aaron who wrote the issue featuring these quotes.
    Well, I don't really like Aaron's writing either.

Quote Originally Posted by CSPDX View Post
    But way to go on the snarky generalization, you do the Internet proud.
    Thanks. I try.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by botolo View Post
    Stark knows what Magneto can do. Stark is a lot smarter than Magneto. Ergo, if Stark wants to make a Magneto-proof armour, he can do just that.

This would be the same Ororo Monroe that grew up on the streets as a thief? She's not Talia al'Ghul.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Stark knows what Magneto can do. Stark is a lot smarter than Magneto. Ergo, if Stark wants to make a Magneto-proof armour, he can do just that.
    That wouldn't be an almost literal deus ex machina? Kind of like the "telepathic tasers" everyone is complaining about?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    That wouldn't be an almost literal deus ex machina? Kind of like the "telepathic tasers" everyone is complaining about?
    Oh come on. Everybody knows that brainy heroes with prep time will trump overpowered heroes almost every time.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Oh come on. Everybody knows that brainy heroes with prep time will trump overpowered heroes almost every time.
    Then why is everybody complaining?

I don't think they are. Not about this particular plot point anyway.

Cux they are X-fans *badump tish*
    -this posters ragging on rob leifelds art is not ment as hatred toward the man he is a professional artist and got that way for a reason...however i cannot condone the use of pouches-