Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 101
  1. #46
    4th World Diplomat Thoctar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Russellville, AR
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I'm not a fan of George Perez' art. I don't think it's bad or that he's a poor artist, it's perfectly serviceable, for sure, and he can definitely tell a story effectively.

    His art just isn't expressive or painterly. It's not exciting to me at all, it's just functional and feels like a dated house style (which it more or less is). I'd never pick him if I had a choice of artists when there are more expressive talents available. I personally would have liked to see Dustin Nguyen or someone like that on this book.

  2. #47
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storyofaboy View Post
    He just can't write one. That book is veering WAY off course.
    how so????? i think amy reader just doesnt have a clue how to tell the story thru her art like Williams could

  3. #48
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraaman View Post
    Consider that Perez drew that 30 years ago, after already being in the business for years, without the benefit of a multitude of artists to inspire him or derive his style from. BTW, that's from Justice League of America #200.

    Perez's style is dated, yes. I recall picking up his issues of Brave and the Bold a few years ago and def thought it was the 1980's all over again. Back in the day when panels were boring his style was considered energetic but I have to admit trying to read him now makes reading a story a bit of a slog. I don't know if that is good or bad but using the B&B issues as an example, I can't say I enjoyed them more because of his style.

    If I had to classify him I'd say he is more centered on dramatic slices and dynamics which is quite different than, say, Hitch's fluid style or Frank's realistic style. Taste's change and I can understand why people don't care for him as much as they used to but to say he isn't any good shows your ignorance. I personally can't stand Hitch and I find Frank's style kind of creepy, but they are both very talented artists in their own right.
    exactly my point he drew his best work 30 years ago and he hasent improved or changed much, and i cant find a single peice of his that stands with reis's best work (cept that poster painted by ross, but ross did far more work on that than perez did, so i consider it his peice) i respect that he was a master in his era, but in this day it just doesnt hold up at all IMO

    why do you hate hitch and Witch Frank? Frank cho or Gary Frank?

  4. #49
    Soldier, Teacher Rob Thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    43,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    exactly my point he drew his best work 30 years ago and he hasent improved or changed much, and i cant find a single peice of his that stands with reis's best work (cept that poster painted by ross, but ross did far more work on that than perez did, so i consider it his peice) i respect that he was a master in his era, but in this day it just doesnt hold up at all IMO
    Well, I thought his run with Busiek on The Avengers was fantastic; ditto his work on JLA/Avengers.



    Be all you can be.

  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Well, I thought his run with Busiek on The Avengers was fantastic; ditto his work on JLA/Avengers.



    oh yeah i forgot he did jla/avengers that is his best work that i can recall now

  6. #51
    Heroine Addict Fused's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    I'd rather be


  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Zanzibar
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I'd rather be

    belly and boob windows unite!

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    belly and boob windows unite!
    for the Win!

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I'd rather be

    I love it!

    I do like Perez though.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    I am going to say something really offensive now, ahem:

    People who praise Jim Lee's or Gene Ha's artwork have absolutely no right to criticize George Perez.

    You can curse me now.

  11. #56
    Heroine Addict Fused's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    belly and boob windows unite!
    They combine to form a giant robo-hottie with a belly and boob window!

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    Good list. Only one of that entire list I find fault with, and I know it's a personal taste thing. But all those guys would mop the floor with George Perez's work (sorry Perez lovers...).
    You're funny. You should consider giving up your day job.

  13. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraaman View Post
    Consider that Perez drew that 30 years ago, after already being in the business for years, without the benefit of a multitude of artists to inspire him or derive his style from. BTW, that's from Justice League of America #200.

    Perez's style is dated, yes. I recall picking up his issues of Brave and the Bold a few years ago and def thought it was the 1980's all over again. Back in the day when panels were boring his style was considered energetic but I have to admit trying to read him now makes reading a story a bit of a slog. I don't know if that is good or bad but using the B&B issues as an example, I can't say I enjoyed them more because of his style.

    If I had to classify him I'd say he is more centered on dramatic slices and dynamics which is quite different than, say, Hitch's fluid style or Frank's realistic style. Taste's change and I can understand why people don't care for him as much as they used to but to say he isn't any good shows your ignorance. I personally can't stand Hitch and I find Frank's style kind of creepy, but they are both very talented artists in their own right.
    Yeah, I can agree with this--it's knowledgable but grants awareness to areas of taste which is subjective.

    I also note that most of the comments have little to do with technical aspects, such as being able to use distinct body types and faces for different characters, storytelling, panel by panel breakdowns, etc.
    Last edited by gwangung; 05-01-2012 at 01:16 PM.

  14. #59
    Veteran Member Flashpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoctar View Post
    I'm not a fan of George Perez' art. I don't think it's bad or that he's a poor artist, it's perfectly serviceable, for sure, and he can definitely tell a story effectively.

    His art just isn't expressive or painterly. It's not exciting to me at all, it's just functional and feels like a dated house style (which it more or less is). I'd never pick him if I had a choice of artists when there are more expressive talents available. I personally would have liked to see Dustin Nguyen or someone like that on this book.
    No offense intended, but you have no idea what you are talking about when you malign George Perez as an artist.

    Case in point: I've devoted an entire thread to proving ALL of Perez's detractors wrong:

    In-praise-and-defense-of-George-Perez-the-man-who-transformed-DC-Comics

    Read it and be schooled in the ways of Perez, the true artist.

  15. #60
    Veteran Member Flashpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultraaman View Post
    Consider that Perez drew that 30 years ago, after already being in the business for years, without the benefit of a multitude of artists to inspire him or derive his style from. BTW, that's from Justice League of America #200.

    Perez's style is dated, yes. I recall picking up his issues of Brave and the Bold a few years ago and def thought it was the 1980's all over again. Back in the day when panels were boring his style was considered energetic but I have to admit trying to read him now makes reading a story a bit of a slog. I don't know if that is good or bad but using the B&B issues as an example, I can't say I enjoyed them more because of his style.

    If I had to classify him I'd say he is more centered on dramatic slices and dynamics which is quite different than, say, Hitch's fluid style or Frank's realistic style. Taste's change and I can understand why people don't care for him as much as they used to but to say he isn't any good shows your ignorance. I personally can't stand Hitch and I find Frank's style kind of creepy, but they are both very talented artists in their own right.
    Again, wrong on several counts. The facts of George Perez's career and his aspirations as an artist disprove most of your criticisms. Perez was reinventing comic book storytelling before most of you all criticizing his work were even born:

    George-Perez-the-man-who-transformed-DC-Comics

    The thread includes just a partial list of Perez's artistic endeavors, philosophy and goals for reinventing comic book storytelling. I encourage anyone who doesn't think Perez is that good to read it. Please? Thank you kindly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •