Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Right on. It's kind of an odd metric, though since you can easily write shallow female characters while passing that test with flying colors.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Right on. It's kind of an odd metric, though since you can easily write shallow female characters while passing that test with flying colors.
    The key here is that it's specifically designed to be very easy to pass:

You need two female characters.
    They need to talk to each other.
    They need to talk about something other than a man.

Worlds' Finest passes the test on page one.

That's why failing the test is such an issue: the bar is so very low that it should be almost impossible to fail unless you have a really tiny cast.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Just finished Worlds Finest #1 and enjoyed it thoroughly. No complaints really. I find the women slightly more interesting in their original costumes for some reason. Nothing to be done about that I guess. Long haired Robin in the Batjet from Earth 2 ...fascinating.

Both Paul Levitz and George Perez are working here to my delight. Dialogue fine with me. Don't see why women should not talk about men. Men always talk about women. It must be hard to fit everything you want to say into a first book. This one did it well. Looking forward to each new issue. I had some doubts. They were dispelled.

In fact I enjoyed all the new round 52 books I read this week. I even got excited enough to read them first before anything else. That is Earth 2, Worlds Finest, Dial H and G.I. Combat. All Winners. Pretty sure Batman Inc will soar. As for Ravagers....never mind.

Wish the DCnU was more like this Earth 2.
    Namor is King! Killraven too. Mantis is the greatest!

Shatterstar is gay. Deadpool is Bi.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by custodes View Post
    Just finished Worlds Finest #1 and enjoyed it thoroughly. No complaints really. I find the women slightly more interesting in their original costumes for some reason. Nothing to be done about that I guess. Long haired Robin in the Batjet from Earth 2 ...fascinating.

Both Paul Levitz and George Perez are working here to my delight. Dialogue fine with me. Don't see why women should not talk about men. Men always talk about women. It must be hard to fit everything you want to say into a first book. This one did it well. Looking forward to each new issue. I had some doubts. They were dispelled.

In fact I enjoyed all the new round 52 books I read this week. I even got excited enough to read them first before anything else. That is Earth 2, Worlds Finest, Dial H and G.I. Combat. All Winners. Pretty sure Batman Inc will soar. As for Ravagers....never mind.

Wish the DCnU was more like this Earth 2.
    It's not that women should not talk about men, it's that men should not be the only thing women talk about.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

ShaunN

I really enjoyed this first issue. Levitiz established a really nice vibe between Helena and Karen as friends. And, most important, we get Power Girl and Huntress back! I don't have any major problems with PG's new costume and I really like the idea of her as a tycoon/scientist. It's a nice buildup from where her last series left off and i doubt it will be as easy for people to destroy her company or steal from her in the future. I will be interested in seeing how Levitz explores the idea of PG being so totally dedicated to returning to Earth 2 vs. Huntress' apparent willingness to accept her place on the Earth on which they have found themselves. I suspect that this difference in attitude accounts for a lot of why PG has not put on a costume before now. She is not being selfish, but she has been focused on other things. At some level, she may also have tried to avoid engagement with the regular world precisely because she wants to keep her ties to this world as weak as possible.

Not a bad issue.

I have to agree with the Birds of Prey parallel too; this is certainly a character driven title. It's a nice setup really; the setting and main focus is pretty epic, but everything still feels very character-centric.

Anyway, the pacing was smooth and there seemed to be a solid amount of content without feeling rushed, which is nice to see these days. The dialogue was pretty good and I like the dynamics being built.

On the art side of things, which seems to be a big issue on this thread....it wasnt bad.

Someone asked a few pages back what the parameters were for calling a talent out-dated. To me, its whether or not the talent in question can maintain a contemporary style. Not driven by fad or trend or anything, but can they keep themselves from feeling "old"? That of course is very much up to personal taste. For me, Perez, while I love the man's work, feels a little dated. He has great layouts, he tells a great story and he's a damned fine artist. But his style certainly says "80's" to me. Maybe its the curse of being as big a name as he is. I mean, the man sort of defined the genre back in the day so it makes sense that I would look back at those years and his style is what comes to mind. And I look at his work now and what comes to mind is the 80's.

Still, that said I enjoyed his work here. Much better than his recent Superman covers, which were honestly quite terrible. His Helena looks great, but I have to say the design for the villain is pretty dated, and I dont think he's quite got the feel for Power Girl just yet. Still, I have no real complaints about the art. Karen's costume is pretty ugly, and I honestly miss her giant boobs (really, they had become a character trait) but Perez put out some good work here on par with his usual (high) standard.

I still would have liked to see Amanda Conner on this title though. At first glance, I hated her work. But after reading her Terra miniseries, I came to appreciate her style. She has a way with facial expressions that rival the best in the industry and while she's got a cartoonish style going on, her work is dynamic, her layouts decent (if not on par with Perez) and she manages to make her women look good without being cheesecake about it (most of the time.)

All in all, I found Earth-2 and Dial H to be better issues, but this was still quite good.

LOVED IT.
    l am glad to see PG and Huntress together again.
    So w/ the PG costume is there a tweek in which costume she actually has or is this to say this was what she wore the first 5 yrs?
    in the ads there was the gold gauntlets and P in the cape. This is stripes on side and P embedded on her chest.
    So far so good, loved the acknowledgment to Helena Bertanelli as just one of her identities.
    Simple pleasures. Something to enjoy reading again.

Speaking as someone who has no vested interest in either Huntress or Powergirl, i seriously enjoyed this first issue. And man is it great to have Kevin Maguire back in the game. DC is just owning my wallet these days.

I'm late to the party on this one but I just read Worlds' Finest #1 and I thought it was a 10/10. Just everything I want out of a fun superhero comic. Loved the Perez, loved the Maguire and, a little surprisingly, loved the Levitz. I'd thought his old school style might be played out but it was pitch perfect. I loved this comic.

Also, such a nice touch including the Helena Bertinelli persona and explaining it. They could have just left Bertinelli out of this universe and given her some other assumed name. But what they did was make true my fantasy for the last 25 years or so: that Helena Bertinelli was secretly Helena Wayne in disguise.

Who here like me, felt that Huntress (Robin) and Power girl (Supergirl) was robbed of their destiny to become the premiere superheroes that they should be on Earth 2, the minute that they got boom tubed to Earth Prime?