Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

George Perez's art succeeds for me past and present because he puts in so much detail into every aspect of story and character. With Perez, you could have two blonde white guys in identical clothing sitting next to each other, and you'd know without looking at the word balloons that they were Captain America and Hawkeye in their civvies. The facial structure, body structure, body language, expressions, and intricacies of their street clothes would all give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    DUDE.................... thats Alex ross lololololololololol

and even if it was ivan reis could stand with that

yes its not That good not being painted and all but there close to each other on a complexity level
    Are you out of your ever lovin' mind?!
    That George Perez POSTER has 562 characters on it!
    Ivan Reis (God love him) can't compare at all. Can he do this?

Nope.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    It's a shame, I liked the writing in the preview, but I can't dig on Perez art. Never did. His supporters can like it all they want, and more power to you, I just think he has a heavy line, and his style is very old school comic-booky and I like something that seems a little more modern, energetic, and dare I say it, sexy- especially when reading about Huntress and Power Girl. This isn't about showing skin, or ass shots like Benes, but sexy the way a race car is sexy.
    Go on ahead with your Ed Benes and Greg Lands and Mike Deodatos. I'll take the guy who can fit 20 panels on a page as opposed to the guys who struggle to get five on a page.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    greg land.............. hell No!
    where too busy reading aquaman with brilliant Ivan reis and Batwoman with Godly JH Williams the 3rd (THAT MAN CAN TELL A STORY)
    not to be rude just saying
    I disagree, I think J.H. Williams sometimes gets caught up in his pages and they become confusing and hard to read. He CAN be brilliant, Promethea anyone?, but I find Bat-woman to sometimes try to hard to be innovative and just being a mess. Nice posters though.

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    I don't like Greg Land art either, he's also a horrible artist. Look if you like Perez art then more power to ya but I'm more into the over expressive and dynamic artist like Joe Mad, Humberto Ramos, Alvin Lee, Ale Garza, etc. that's just the type of art that I like. I can still read other books that don't have the same art (AvX, Avenging Spider-Man, Venom, Batgirl, Batwoman) but overall I like the anime-ish style of art. Its just what I'm into, artist that draw like it was the 80's, 70's. 60's, etc. are fine and all but that style is just not appealing to me
    Other than Ramos... none of those guys can tell a story worth a damn. All flash, no substance and missing the subtle nuance of the manga artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    It's a shame, I liked the writing in the preview, but I can't dig on Perez art.
    I wasn't even able to get to the reading, I couldn't handle the art and massive number of panels shoved onto each page.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by Nitz the Bloody View Post
    George Perez's art succeeds for me past and present because he puts in so much detail into every aspect of story and character. With Perez, you could have two blonde white guys in identical clothing sitting next to each other, and you'd know without looking at the word balloons that they were Captain America and Hawkeye in their civvies. The facial structure, body structure, body language, expressions, and intricacies of their street clothes would all give it away.
    Very much agreed. That's one of Perez's strengths and gifts; he actually adds nuance to characters, distinguishes them from one another.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitz the Bloody View Post
    Looking forward to this comic because it has A.) George Perez and B.) a setup that seems impervious to failing the Bechdel Test, a rarity for superhero comics.
    Ain't that the truth? Nice post!
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

What the hell are you guys talking about? From my understanding they fail this test on the third freakin' page.

Huntress: Problem with buying a lab in a patriarchal country.

Power Girl: Boys can't decide anything on their own. What…?

I don't have any problem with this dialogue but the discussion about how boys behave in a patriarchal society seems like an epic Bechdel fail. I don't even get any fulfillment in proving this point wrong because I feel like I've wasted time looking up what The Bechdel Test even was. I can't remember the last time I've actually wanted to unlearn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    What the hell are you guys talking about? From my understanding they fail this test on the third freakin' page.

Huntress: Problem with buying a lab in a patriarchal country.

Power Girl: Boys can't decide anything on their own. What…?

I don't have any problem with this dialogue but the discussion about how boys behave in a patriarchal society seems like an epic Bechdel fail. I don't even get any fulfillment in proving this point wrong because I feel like I've wasted time looking up what The Bechdel Test even was. I can't remember the last time I've actually wanted to unlearn something.
    It's clear you don't understand the Bechdel Test. And you're pretty much proving why it's a useful tool.

Then please enlighten. I honestly want it to not be a wasted file folder I can't delete on my mental harddrive.

The Bechdel test is not a simple "men mentioned? then fail"; it has to do with the prevelance in works where women exist only as subordinate and in relation to specific men (who are almost always the protagonist). Talking about men in general doesn't trigger that--making a sociological observation doesn't trigger it. And talking just once or twice about a specific man doesn't trigger it if there are other scenes and other conversations dealing with other topics.

In general, in pop culture, there are very few instances where women talk to each other about things other than men. It's a useful too from the creative end to make sure you're making your characters do useful things, and not just end up defined by their relationships.

Ok, thanks I'm pretty sure I get it, but I'm pretty sure they talk about PG's boyfriend at Holt industries at some point. Wouldn't that have it fail as well? Again, I don't really care if they do pass this or not, just making sure they legitimately have here, since this is supposedly a positive trait the book possesses.

There was only thing I didn't like about this comic. The "To Be Continued" text at the end of the book made my eyes hurt trying to read it, and it didn't look centered.
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    Ok, thanks I'm pretty sure I get it, but I'm pretty sure they talk about PG's boyfriend at Holt industries at some point. Wouldn't that have it fail as well? Again, I don't really care if they do pass this or not, just making sure they legitimately have here, since this is supposedly a positive trait the book possesses.
    No, there's no fail by just mentioning a relationship; the idea is to write women as whole people, and whole people generally have relationships. It's just that people have other things to do in life than relationships.

Now it's closer when relationships dominate the on-page/on-screen action, but I don't think that applies here, when much of the interaction is between the two protagonists.