Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Last edited by KurtW95; 05-01-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

How was I downplaying old Fury's importance? I'm wondering if your reading my posts fully. Winners and losers? I'm really confused at what your getting at now. Fury Sr. still exists. He isn't going to go anywhere. Comics are always changing. I think believing you'll never see him again or he won't pop up in future events in a big way years from now seems a little naive to me.

If anything I'm recognizing that Marcus isn't replacing Fury. They can't the characters are too different. Marcus is an army ranger a field agent. A fighter a soldier. Fury Sr's role in the marvel universe is fundamentally different than what Marcus role is.

Fury isn't retired either. Guarantee he will still be around. Once again I think fans are jumping the gun on this. for crying out loud Marvel just brought Captain Marvel back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    for crying out loud Marvel just brought Captain Marvel back.
    Which probably won't last longer than a month. Probably just another fake out.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

How was I downplaying old Fury's importance? I'm wondering if your reading my posts fully. Winners and losers? I'm really confused at what your getting at now. Fury Sr. still exists. He isn't going to go anywhere. Comics are always changing. I think believing you'll never see him again or he won't pop up in future events in a big way years from now seems a little naive to me.

If anything I'm recognizing that Marcus isn't replacing Fury. They can't the characters are too different. Marcus is an army ranger a field agent. A fighter a soldier. Fury Sr's role in the marvel universe is fundamentally different than what Marcus role is.

Fury isn't retired either. Guarantee he will still be around. Once again I think fans are jumping the gun on this. for crying out loud Marvel just brought Captain Marvel back.
    he really do walk right into those traps. they are bringing back Captain Marvel to pass the torch to Carol.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'll say. Just look at these guys.

that Blade picture makes me so sad.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

I hope for Marcus he won't be like Dr Voodoo or Shuri.
    A character who despite having inherited the title (Sorcerer Supreme, Black Panther) has never been considered as such by the conservative (pleonasm) readers and writers (and by extension, by the MU characters) and kept being less exposed than their predecessors.
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.
    Marvel: Avengers Arena, lol!
    Classy as always, Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I've been thinking about the similarities of these two characters, and if we really need them both in the MU, but havn't been able to come up with a P.C . way of bringing it up.

Yeah, but he's NOT STAYING, is he?

They did that already and that David Hasselhoff movie was terrible.

Its not like marvel was using Fury that much over the last several years he was off in limbo.

Its not at all surprising Marvel would do this, but of all the ways they could have handled the situation I think we should all give marvel kudos for the way they handled this. Brevoort's interview on the move was also very reassuting and reaffirmed a lot of peoples feelings on this. I liked Marcus Johnson from the beginning, he is a very compelling character. My only minor issue with the story is that I expected a more satisfying in-depth exploration as to why Marcus Johnson would go around abandoning his name he's been called for over 20 years and going by Nick Fury. It would have made more sense if he was protecting surviving loved ones who were affiliated with him as marcus Johnson. Instead we got the explanation that it was a name on a birth certificate and him adopting a new way of life.

Overall I think Brevoort and others have made some great points, which I've voiced in several threads. We do still have classic Nick fury, who is a great character, and he's so great because of his particular personality and his role as a spymaster showing up where you least expect him and pulling on other heroes and villains' puppet strings. He has not been an action hero over the years after his howling comando days, but much more the spymaster of the MU. Therefore Nick Fury Junior taking up that role of more of an action hero, field general shield agent creates no conflict for me. Nick Fury Jr and Coulson (Timothy Dum Dum Dugan Jr) are essentially completely different characters right now and play comppletely different roles from their older counterparts. Moreover they both still exist and will continue to do so.

The movie Nick Fury has not really been recreated for 616. Movie Nick Fury falls somewhere in between Fury Sr and Fury Jr. And going by what Brevoort said, Marvel isn't going to kill off any Nick fury's anytime soon.

This way you can all look forward to classic Nick Fury as well as looking forward to the introduction of a new action hero, Nick Fury Jr, who I am personally interested in learning more about. And you've got to give marvel props it was a nice touch having him adopt Steve Rogers' recently abandoned Super Soldier look.

So in this regard I think a lot of people are crying over nothing and are simply overreacting to a well done story.
    Nick Fury looks like David Hasselhoff in my worst nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Samuel L Jackson does deliver my mail; with great vengeance and furious anger. even getting the super saver is an intense affair.
    Must be hell on Catalog days. How does he feel about the Post office closings?

I hear Christian Bale might be available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    Okay lets go replace T'challa with a white guy as the new Black Panther. After all its a fictional universe.
    Sorry, i was responding to this post.

BANNED

he really do walk right into those traps. they are bringing back Captain Marvel to pass t torch to Carol.
    Monty, that torch and phasing out was happening before Marcus. This is what I don't get.

You had Tony, Carter, Osborn and Rogers leading S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury showed up yes..but they were actually in the role folks are complaining about.
    You have Bucky and Black Widow doing the Spy thing, in solo books.
    No one is mentioning that Secret Warrors was pretty much a status change/ transition for Nick.
    When was the last time Nick Fury was a rookie, inexperienced S.H.I.E.L.D agent? And seriously, how does that make Marcus the same as a spy master?

If he joins the Defenders, or becomes their handler...then what?

The only thing that folks have a point is losing the infinity formula. Other then that...other characters have taken his perks.

Marcus is using a Ranger Kabar and a gun..and Steve's SS suit.

he really do walk right into those traps. they are bringing back Captain Marvel to pass the torch to Carol.
    yeah cause that is going to last

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

that Blade picture makes me so sad.
    Me too. He looks like The Executioner from Simonson's run with a tan.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/