Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

As I said before Marvel should CREATE ACTUAL BLACK HEROES. Don't turn the white ones black.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm sorry, but now thanks to this monstrosity every time I see Sam Jackson as Fury I explode with anger.

Personally I think it would've gone smoother with the fans had they temporarily replaced 616 Fury with Ultimate Fury. They did something similar with Ultimate Power.
    [Level 1 antagonism]
    Homer: Ned Flanders, I mock your value system. You also appear foolish to the eyes of others.
    Ned: Well howdy, Homer! Thanks for dropping by!
    [Level 2 antagonism]
    Homer: Past instances in which I professed to like you, were fraudulent.
    Ned: Oh well. I'll just have to try harder. Thanks for dropping by!
    [Maximum hostility factor]
    Homer: I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other. Now that's psychiatry!

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    So in a year from now when Samuel Fury is the head of SHIELD.... can people complain about him replacing Nick?
    That's when I'll complain. Right now this is just a plot thread for me. I want to see how it plays out before I bunch up my panties.

I understand Marvel wanting the movies and comics to line-up. And since Marvel Studios aren't going to CG Lee Marvin's face into AVENGERS, and they wanted a similar look - this makes sense. It is undoubtedly a really ham-fisted way of going about it though.

Although I suspect most fans will disagree with me (and Marvel would probably get more hate for this) - if Fury had to look like Samuel L. Jackson from now on - I'd rather he was just drawn looking like that. No need for the silly pretence of story: "This is just what Fury looks like now". If they thought an in-story reason was necessary, have Fury use an image inducer and it just get permanently stuck or something ridiculous, it's less fussy than this and would kill less tress.

As Yost states in this interview, the new Fury isn't THE spy like he is in the movie, he's just starting out - that's not Fury. Fury is the veteran war-horse that can't retire because he's just been doing it too damn long. Fury is the manipulative bastard the heroes don't completely trust, but go along with him because 99.9% of the time, he's right. And that's who he was in the Whedon movie, despite looking like SLJ.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

As I said before Marvel should CREATE ACTUAL BLACK HEROES. Don't turn the white ones black.
    They do, its just that comic readers doesn't support them so essentially readers bring it on themselves, if more comic book readers
    Were willing to read about minority heroes than none of this would be necessary. Instead, you have a demographic who
    Mostly interested in reading Caucasian solo books trying to intermingle with the general media demographic
    In which diversity is more expected. There is a reason why they usually place minorities on a team in terms of cartoons but t
    Their comic teams are often all white. (Ex. Avengers before storm, secret avengers, defenders, justice league dark,)
    So instead of complaining about changinge ethnicities, which is going to continue to happen as long as most minority books doesn't sell, insteadget readers to pick up books starring minorities. Once minority books sell and become popular, or characters
    Like luke cage, the less we have to worry about changing ethnicities.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Samuel L Jackson does deliver my mail; with great vengeance and furious anger.
    Say what?

People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

I'm sorry, but now thanks to this monstrosity every time I see Sam Jackson as Fury I explode with anger.
    Have you seen the Avengers film and the great portrayal SLJ did ? im assuming not ... but anyways ill let you explode with anger or whatever.

Just for the record ... Nick Fury Jr is Not Nick Fury Sr ...just like Tim Hardaway is not Tim Hardaway jr ... or Warren Wortherington third is not Warren Worthington the second .... not that hard to differentiate to be honest.
    Tattoos Music Sports and Comics . Derrick Rose / Jack Wilshere are Sporting Legends . England/Asia/The Caribbean All day !!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerkaya View Post
    Okay lets go replace T'challa with a white guy as the new Black Panther. After all its a fictional universe.
    Or Stephen Colbert could play Luke Cage in the movie and they could replace 616 Luke with a Colbert Cage. It is a fictional universe.

That's just how ridiculous the Fury thing is. It's the same freakin' thing.
    For the record if Tchalla has white son that comes and takes his place i would not complain about it if it make sense and he is good character,It might actually make for a good story watching how white character would survive being king of major black nation and how character struggle to live up to his father legacy.

The thing lets not pretend losing white character is the same as losing a black character or minority male character

-They are handful of prominent Black male character Luke Cage,Bishop,War Machine, Falcon,Blade and Ultimate Universe Mile Moralres and Nick Fury and current Bishop,Blade are limbo and War Machine and Panther just got their books canceled.Changing Black Panther to white character is a huge deal because they are so few prominent and important minority characters.You change Nick Fury they are still other White Male characters,Hell if you are looking for a spy type their Winter solider.Changing Nick Fury is changing one of the 50 or 60 prominent white Marvel,while black panther is like one of four not including the Ultimate U their is biggest difference between 4 and 60.

-Also If new black characters like Darwin,Synch,Dr Voodoo are killed off or Characters like Sunspot,Patriot or Prodigy are allowed to grow up it would not be a problem to replace a Black Panther because at least company show it can produce other A or B level minorities males.

We all would love new characters but comic readers has they are hesitant to buy new characters,So companies either tie them to a legacy character also the same happens when trying to make character more important they normally tie so sort of history or legacy to them so profile is raised quicker ala Dr Voodoo or Marcus Johnson being Fury Son.

It is fun say you want new characters but they killed Synch,Depowered Prodigy, and put Patriot in limbo.The thing about Miles or Fury jr because of they legacy connection they are pushed forward what good is creating a new character when they don't get used.The funny thing Luke Cage was forced into prominence and people still complained,Saying he is Bendis pet character.It is no win situation you put Cyborg on JL or Luke Cage as leader in Avengers people complain,You create a Legacy character tied ala John Stewart or Miles Morales people complain.

As bad it for me finding a character that looks like me,It is even worse finding males of Hispanic,Asian and some one of Middle-eastern descent.If not comics being made during a racist period in American history some of these golden age characters might all be white,Every time people think about complaining about character being made another race just think if comics where launched today would the the original X-men,Avengers,Justice League,Fantastic four all be White? Isn't their a possibility that some of these characters would been black
    ,Hispanic or another minority.We would all rather original character being made and push prominence but unless we prove Miles Morales, Nick Fury jr, Luke Cage ,Cyborg that minorities can be major players in comics others won't get shot.I will take forced character like Nick Jr because it means that when he has success that other characters could have success we will have more original minority characters in bigger roles.

The best thing is people said the same thing about Nick Fury Jr about Miles Morales he making all of the haters look stupid right now

Quote Originally Posted by britishmixedwhiskey View Post
    Have you seen the Avengers film and the great portrayal SLJ did ? im assuming not ... but anyways ill let you explode with anger or whatever.
    I haven't seen it yet. But the thing is Sam Jackson is not playing Fury. He's playing himself.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantacrap=Fantasy + Crap zipppoww's Avatar

I haven't seen it yet. But the thing is Sam Jackson is not playing Fury. He's playing himself.
    Amen! I'm sick of him skating by playing the same character or yelling M*****F**** in every movie! This has become the cool, popular way to portray a "black man of action". It is annoying. Also in most Marvel Universe work outside the comic (animation especially), black Fury is played like a black police chief in an 80's movie. He's in charge, but everyone disobeys him all the time with little to no consequence. Also, they are usually right for some reason in spite of him being a super intelligent head of S.H.I.E.L.D. I can't think of one story where 616 Fury was completely disobeyed to positive result or was actively ignored at all... I hate his portrayal of Fury outside of the ultimate comic. Also, if it is not this role, it is the classic "helpful black guy"! "Let me show you guys how awesome you are!" It just blows!

But Marvel is going to a mass market and this is the mass market version of diversity. It is what people are familiar with and it is not scary anymore. The tracks are well worn on this black guy in charge role. If Ultimate Fury was on screen in full character, audiences would not like him and think he was supposed to be a villain and ,due to popular reaction, the NAACP would be pissed about Fury coming off as shrewd to the point of being "off putting". There is no win there. Comic readers and average blockbuster movie goers are not massively overlapping groups and their tastes move accordingly. Marvel knows the money is in telling the widely enjoyed version because... well, they are a company at the end of the day. It is hard to understand that fact and still be pissed off about portrayal. Yet, I struggle with it regularly.
    Last edited by zipppoww; 05-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.

This is the worst thing in America...just totally unfu..just totally unnecessary
    Pull List: Thor, Journey Into Mystery, Captain America, Avenger's, New Avenger's, AvX, Super Crooks, Secret Service, Voodoo Child, Vescell, America's Got Powers, Wolverine and the X-Men

Stable Antimatter Reactor Ikonic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    For the record if Tchalla has white son that comes and takes his place i would not complain about it if it make sense and he is good character,It might actually make for a good story watching how white character would survive being king of major black nation and how character struggle to live up to his father legacy.

The thing lets not pretend losing white character is the same as losing a black character or minority male character

-They are handful of prominent Black male character Luke Cage,Bishop,War Machine, Falcon,Blade and Ultimate Universe Mile Moralres and Nick Fury and current Bishop,Blade are limbo and War Machine and Panther just got their books canceled.Changing Black Panther to white character is a huge deal because they are so few prominent and important minority characters.You change Nick Fury they are still other White Male characters,Hell if you are looking for a spy type their Winter solider.Changing Nick Fury is changing one of the 50 or 60 prominent white Marvel,while black panther is like one of four not including the Ultimate U their is biggest difference between 4 and 60.

-Also If new black characters like Darwin,Synch,Dr Voodoo are killed off or Characters like Sunspot,Patriot or Prodigy are allowed to grow up it would not be a problem to replace a Black Panther because at least company show it can produce other A or B level minorities males.

We all would love new characters but comic readers has they are hesitant to buy new characters,So companies either tie them to a legacy character also the same happens when trying to make character more important they normally tie so sort of history or legacy to them so profile is raised quicker ala Dr Voodoo or Marcus Johnson being Fury Son.

It is fun say you want new characters but they killed Synch,Depowered Prodigy, and put Patriot in limbo.The thing about Miles or Fury jr because of they legacy connection they are pushed forward what good is creating a new character when they don't get used.The funny thing Luke Cage was forced into prominence and people still complained,Saying he is Bendis pet character.It is no win situation you put Cyborg on JL or Luke Cage as leader in Avengers people complain,You create a Legacy character tied ala John Stewart or Miles Morales people complain.

As bad it for me finding a character that looks like me,It is even worse finding males of Hispanic,Asian and some one of Middle-eastern descent.If not comics being made during a racist period in American history some of these golden age characters might all be white,Every time people think about complaining about character being made another race just think if comics where launched today would the the original X-men,Avengers,Justice League,Fantastic four all be White? Isn't their a possibility that some of these characters would been black
    ,Hispanic or another minority.We would all rather original character being made and push prominence but unless we prove Miles Morales, Nick Fury jr, Luke Cage ,Cyborg that minorities can be major players in comics others won't get shot.I will take forced character like Nick Jr because it means that when he has success that other characters could have success we will have more original minority characters in bigger roles.

The best thing is people said the same thing about Nick Fury Jr about Miles Morales he making all of the haters look stupid right now
    Don't forget Blue Marvel, too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post

As bad it for me finding a character that looks like me,It is even worse finding males of Hispanic,Asian and some one of Middle-eastern descent.If not comics being made during a racist period in American history some of these golden age characters might all be white,Every time people think about complaining about charact er being made another race just think if comics where launched today would the the original X-men,Avengers,Justice League,Fantastic four all be White? Isn't their a possibility that some of these characters would been black

Well said...and there IS a white Wakandan Prince and "Panther"..Hunter the White Wolf. The most die hard Wakandan loyalist. Who has his own Tribe, the Hatut Zeraze, the secret police of Wakanda.

Black Panther is also the First Black Hero in mainstream comics. That means something. There is no way you change him with a white character. Marvel would not be stupid enough to do that. Just to please some readers with Race issues. They have used Ultimate Cap as Ultimate Panther, which was a mistake on their part.
    Last edited by Umbra; 05-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    Don't forget Blue Marvel, too!
    All you have to do is look at Blue Marvel threads, to see why the whole "make real black characters" is BS. It doesn't matter. They complain no matter what.

Stable Antimatter Reactor Ikonic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    All you have to do is look at Blue Marvel threads, to see why the whole "make real black characters" is BS. It doesn't matter. They complain no matter what.
    People like them don't realize that they're hurting their own hobby by refusing to allow growth.