Default Chameleon's power?

I'm a bit confused as to Chameleon's power. I know he impersonates people using masks, but where does he get these masks? Is that his power? Does his body somehow form these masks that he's able to take off? Or is he some kind of awesome costume/mask designer? Has this topic ever been discussed? I tried looking it up and asking some friends, but so far everyone was as stumped as me.

He's a master of disguise. He doesn't have powers though I think he was using advanced technology at some point.

He started out just using makeup in his first appearances. Eventually he got an image inducer (holographic appearances based on anyone he recoreded video of) belt and shape changing clothes from Spencer Smythe. That lasted for a bit (as well as being the version used on the Spider-Man 90s TV show) and then it was changed to him having a surgery and being pumped full of mutagen that allowed him to physically re-arrange his face (think clayface) and again having shape changing clothes although not electronically controlled this time. Since being brought back the last time in 2010 though he's back to just a master of disguise with no powers or tech on his body.

Chameleon's really just a high-end master of disguise, probably the best you can find short of a shapeshifter.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I thought possibly it was a power, because his face is just blank. What happened to his face?

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedblind View Post
    I thought possibly it was a power, because his face is just blank. What happened to his face?
    He has some psychological issues, so he hates using his real face.

It's also been suggested that he disfigured himself in order to be more convincing when he puts on masks.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedblind View Post
    Spider-Man ate it.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Just another fan-girl~ OkieDokiLoki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He has some psychological issues, so he hates using his real face.

It's also been suggested that he disfigured himself in order to be more convincing when he puts on masks.
    So is the white face just his real face being covered up or something? =.

And then he puts a mask over that?
    Masks on masks on masks...
    Pull list: Amazing Spider-Man, Deadpool, Scarlet Spider, Defenders, Uncanny X-Force, JiM, W&TXM, Swamp Thing, i Vampire, Adventure Time, Snarked, Avengers vs X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDokiLoki View Post
    So is the white face just his real face being covered up or something? =.

And then he puts a mask over that?
    Masks on masks on masks...
    My understanding was that there's flesh missing from his real face.

The white face serves two purposes. It means that he always has a mask, so his real face (or what's left of it) is still hidden, no matter what. And it's easier to put the other masks on top of the white face.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Does he currently have a white face or no face at all. Personally I prefer the white face.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

I remember when he was locked in Ravencroft and wasshifting among different faces in an attempt to find an identity. Who knows, he might have unstable Mystique powers, but might not use them all the time for them because he either can't control them all the time or is psychologically driven to use maks to give himself some kind of semblance of normality.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

Personally,i missed crime boss Chameleon,who used his talents as a master of disguises to gain enough power and becoming the top crime boss of NY.I am not so crazy about insane Chameleon.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Though I liked DeMatteis' story with the Chameleon, I also miss his crime boss carier. It was on Web, if I remember right, very enjoyable issues.
    myspace.com/artofsimplicity

I am an anarchist. Deal with it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-beginning

Just another fan-girl~ OkieDokiLoki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My understanding was that there's flesh missing from his real face.

The white face serves two purposes. It means that he always has a mask, so his real face (or what's left of it) is still hidden, no matter what. And it's easier to put the other masks on top of the white face.
    Cool.
    Makes sense. =.
    Pull list: Amazing Spider-Man, Deadpool, Scarlet Spider, Defenders, Uncanny X-Force, JiM, W&TXM, Swamp Thing, i Vampire, Adventure Time, Snarked, Avengers vs X-Men