Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    19,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarquon View Post
    I've had a bit of a break from mainstream comic serials for a while, but recently started following Aquaman and All-Star Western in the new 52 and rather like them. I've been considering following one of the Batman serials, but limited funds mean I can't really follow all three - so which would you lovely people recommend: Batman, Dark Knight or Detective Comics?

    As a side note, what are your verdicts on Batwoman, Batgirl, and Suicide Squad...?
    If $'s are definitely an issue, is delayed digital an option worth considering?

    (I don't go that route myself, but some seem to like it.)

  2. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Right now I'd recommend Batman. I love what Synder and Capullo have been doing with that book.
    A fantastic writer/artist tandem. Capullo's layouts are extry-kewl. Years and years ago, I probably wouldn't have liked Batman drawn the way Capullo draws him, but I certainly do now. Capullo's DC 52 Batman print has become one of my favorite Bat-images.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Get Batwoman. I'd say it's the best Batbook of them all.
    I might be inclined to agree...if J.H. Williams was still drawing it. Elegy is awesome (both story and art).
    Last edited by verslibre; 05-01-2012 at 08:28 PM.

  3. #18
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,768

    Default

    Batman. It's not even remotely close. Tec & TDK are trash and Batman is superlative.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

    She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

  4. #19
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    19,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Batman. It's not even remotely close. Tec & TDK are trash and Batman is superlative.
    But Dark Knight is getting a new writer (after the Owls crossover), so that opinion may have to be revisited.

  5. #20

    Default

    Batman

    If you want anything else from the Bat family, Batwoman.
    Batman Inc. comes out soon and will probably be good as well.

    I would say Batgirl, Birds of Prey are probably the next best, but we are already into the B-/C+ territory and you should get something else if you are limited. Right now Dark Knight and Detective are off-limits until new writers come on and then we'll see.

  6. #21
    My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But Dark Knight is getting a new writer (after the Owls crossover), so that opinion may have to be revisited.

    Yeah. I'm actually picking it up starting with the Owls issue, and await the run with Hurwitz. Hurwitz's Penguin story got so many positive reviews, and I really hope this turns out well, because I'm dropping 'Tec after the Owls issue.
    Last edited by maxpower00044; 05-02-2012 at 02:27 PM.

  7. #22
    gentleman fish shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarquon View Post
    I've had a bit of a break from mainstream comic serials for a while, but recently started following Aquaman and All-Star Western in the new 52 and rather like them. I've been considering following one of the Batman serials, but limited funds mean I can't really follow all three - so which would you lovely people recommend: Batman, Dark Knight or Detective Comics?

    As a side note, what are your verdicts on Batwoman, Batgirl, and Suicide Squad...?
    Batman and Batwoman.

    You could try TDK and DC if you want something unintentionally hilarious, though.

  8. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Batman and Batgirl are outstanding.

    Batwoman 1-5 are awesome but 6-8 are awful and it's purely on the story structure if it was being told in regular chronological order I'm sure it would be good but for now the second arc sucks imo. Even the writer cant get his timeline correct since in issue 8 Maggie gets stabbed with a syring six nights ago and Kate confronts and assaults Chase 1 week (7 nights) ago about the incident despite the fact it doesn't happen till the next day.

    The only issue of Tec you need is #9 as its the only good issue.

    Dark Knight is ok but nothing special. gets a new writer with issue 10 though so you coudl see how you like that.

    Suicide Squad is decent but only 2 characters are really focused on and everyone else keeps dying so its hard to care about anyone outside Harley and Deadshot.

  9. #24
    Death Professor Jay Y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Batman has been wicked. Every single issue leaves you wanting more, as Snyder's writing tends to do. As others have said though, Dark Knight will likely be much better once Hurwitz takes reins as writer. Loved his Penguin: Pride and Prejudice mini, and I'm not even a fan of the character.

  10. #25
    New Member Zarquon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Y View Post
    Batman has been wicked. Every single issue leaves you wanting more, as Snyder's writing tends to do. As others have said though, Dark Knight will likely be much better once Hurwitz takes reins as writer. Loved his Penguin: Pride and Prejudice mini, and I'm not even a fan of the character.
    Excellent, will definitely have to get that one then.

    I've bought and read all of Batwoman, utterly brilliant, but as others have commented, the later 3 issues are a bit iffy exposition wise. I'm sticking with it though. Batman, bloody brilliant also, just onto issue 5 now. 2 more to add to the subscription....

  11. #26

    Default

    Yes, Batman is the one to follow. Scott Snyder's been a strong writer for DC, and Greg Capullo (new to me as of Batman) is killing it.

    After that, I am really enjoying the hell out of Batwoman. I read Batgirl for 4 or 5 issues, but it wasn't doing it for me, writing or art...

  12. #27
    New Member Zarquon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    haha, blimey where did that come from

  13. #28
    First Robin,second Batman nightwing1124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Right now I'd recommend Batman. I love what Synder and Capullo have been doing with that book.
    agreed. But Detective should be getting better.

  14. #29
    New Member Bo Ali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    State of Kuwait
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Snyder's Batman is my pick for you, an amazing book especially with this current event!
    I'm Batman!

  15. #30

    Default

    Detective>Batman>Batman and Robin>Batman:The Dark Knight

    And INC is the wild card which IM looking forward to.
    Sane Bat-Time, Sane Bat-Channel...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •