View Poll Results: If the Dark Knight Rises Makes More Money Than Avengers

Voters
150. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • People want a great movie first, action second.

34 22.67%
  • Kids dig Batman more because of all the toys.

7 4.67%
  • Are you insane Avengers is making more money!

59 39.33%
  • People are tired of Thor, Hulk, Captain America...etc.

2 1.33%
  • The last movie made more money than God so...

9 6.00%
  • Since this is the last film people won't want to miss it.

39 26.00%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    Spoiler warning, please. I'm trying to avoid further TV spots and spoilertronic write-ups and netstuff till the movie comes out.
    He's wearing a bulletproof waste. That's not even a spoiler dude!

My official prediction is that it will at least do as well as Avengers and. likely, more than a little bit better.

While I liked TDK quite a bit, I kinda feel like Nolan's films are a lot more pretentious and pseudo-intellectual, which makes people think they're better. There's a ridiculous performance by the lead, some pretty glaring gaps in logic and some very hamhanded, long-winded monologues that try to convince people how deep the film is.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, but "great films first?" That's overselling it. A lot. Batman Begins, in particular, is pretty eye-rolling in it's dialogue. In case you didn't guess, the theme of the film is "fear."

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    My official prediction is that it will at least do as well as Avengers and. likely, more than a little bit better.
    That'd be impressive. The Avengers is the third best grossing film of all time right now.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    While I liked TDK quite a bit, I kinda feel like Nolan's films are a lot more pretentious and pseudo-intellectual, which makes people think they're better. There's a ridiculous performance by the lead, some pretty glaring gaps in logic and some very hamhanded, long-winded monologues that try to convince people how deep the film is.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, but "great films first?" That's overselling it. A lot. Batman Begins, in particular, is pretty eye-rolling in it's dialogue. In case you didn't guess, the theme of the film is "fear."
    And the theme on Thor was? And the theme in Avengers was?

Cīmon man... xD

I donīt see Nolanīs movies as "pseudo intellectual" at all, just good movies, a solid, good script, well rounded characters, actors and nice revelations and twists. (oh and a beautiful camera work)

Thatīs it.

For what I know, Avengers only included comedy in their catalogue, and I really think the next Marvel movie will be The Avengers vs The Hangover if they go ON and on that way xD

Quote Originally Posted by Davidian View Post

Cīmon man... xD

I donīt see Nolanīs movies as "pseudo intellectual" at all, just good movies, a solid, good script, well rounded characters, actors and nice revelations and twists. (oh and a beautiful camera work)

Thatīs it.

For what I know, Avengers only included comedy in their catalogue, and I really think the next Marvel movie will be The Avengers vs The Hangover if they go ON and on that way xD
    I'm not really comparing the two, because the Marvel films, in my opinion, have just tried to be solid, entertaining and funny action films, much like the comics they were derived from. Having a theme does not in and of itself make a good film, really. I would say Iron Man and the Avengers had themes, although they weren't as in-your-face and pervasive as in the Batman films. The Burton Batman films had themes, sure. But if you look at something like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which Captain America was very much in the vein of, it didn't have to have some hamhanded, topical political commentary to be a good film. Sometimes that stuff just comes off as really pretentious and distracting.

As for the comedy, I tend to find that a bit more realistic than everybody speaking in long-winded, pretentious monologues, from the DA to the most uneducated crime boss. In real life, people tend to be funny and talk like actual people. People don't talk like pompous film students are writing their dialogue. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Nolan films. But it amazes me that people act like they're these brilliant, deep masterpieces or landmarks in cinema.

It more just annoys me that people consider the Nolan films "great films" when they have just as much dumb or silly stuff as any other comic film. People just get blinded by the, in my opinion, incredibly pretentious, takes-itself-waaay-too-seriously tone and the fact that Nolan very bluntly and clumsily shoves topical themes like terrorism and apparently now the economic crisis into his films. I'm not saying they're bad movies. I'm saying that it's a bit silly to call them great films when most of the "depth" in them is...I don't know. I don't really see a lot of depth. I see a movie trying very, very hard to be taken very, very seriously and especially in Batman Begins, it comes off as really silly in places.

And honestly, as cool as I think Bane will be, the Joker was the big draw for people. That's a character that always sells and you had a really good, charismatic performance in the last film to get people more excited. The Joker was probably the biggest draw of TDK. I'm sure this will make plenty of bank and be a good movie, but I doubt it'll be the landmark the last one was.

I'm not really comparing the two, because the Marvel films, in my opinion, have just tried to be solid, entertaining and funny action films, much like the comics they were derived from. Having a theme does not in and of itself make a good film, really. I would say Iron Man and the Avengers had themes, although they weren't as in-your-face and pervasive as in the Batman films. The Burton Batman films had themes, sure. But if you look at something like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which Captain America was very much in the vein of, it didn't have to have some hamhanded, topical political commentary to be a good film. Sometimes that stuff just comes off as really pretentious and distracting.

As for the comedy, I tend to find that a bit more realistic than everybody speaking in long-winded, pretentious monologues, from the DA to the most uneducated crime boss. In real life, people tend to be funny and talk like actual people. People don't talk like pompous film students are writing their dialogue. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Nolan films. But it amazes me that people act like they're these brilliant, deep masterpieces or landmarks in cinema.

It more just annoys me that people consider the Nolan films "great films" when they have just as much dumb or silly stuff as any other comic film. People just get blinded by the, in my opinion, incredibly pretentious, takes-itself-waaay-too-seriously tone and the fact that Nolan very bluntly and clumsily shoves topical themes like terrorism and apparently now the economic crisis into his films. I'm not saying they're bad movies. I'm saying that it's a bit silly to call them great films when most of the "depth" in them is...I don't know. I don't really see a lot of depth. I see a movie trying very, very hard to be taken very, very seriously and especially in Batman Begins, it comes off as really silly in places.

And honestly, as cool as I think Bane will be, the Joker was the big draw for people. That's a character that always sells and you had a really good, charismatic performance in the last film to get people more excited. The Joker was probably the biggest draw of TDK. I'm sure this will make plenty of bank and be a good movie, but I doubt it'll be the landmark the last one was.
    What he said lol

This has been my sentiment for the past few days whenever this discussion pops up.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Davidian View Post

Cīmon man... xD

Thatīs it.

Marvels films have themes, they are just more accessable and relatable to a wider audience. Thor was about the conflict between two brothers, one favoured, one not. It's a theme straight from Shakespeare. Plus it was basically a coming of age tale. Thor went from an arrogant man child, to a noble warrior who sacrificed himself.

Avengers had the whole nuclear proliferation thing. And you think Loki's speech about humanity craving subjugation was in Germany by coincidence? But it didn't make a big deal out of those themes because frankly, who gives a shit.

Nolan's Batman movies have these socio-political themes that comment on issues like terrorism and corruption. But that doesn't automatically make them clever. Especially the way they are spoon fed to us with long winded monologues.

And beautiful camera work? Not in the action scenes.

Anyway if TDKR makes more money than Avengers it's because a lot of people liked TDK and they don't want to miss out on the finale to a trilogy. I mean, what is the point of watching part 1 and 2 then skipping the finale?

I needed to buy more tickets, but they are all sold out! And we're 4 weeks away. That is pretty good.

BANNED

Well said. Especially the bolded parts.

People say the Bat films transcend the superhero genre and format? No they don't. They have the same old tropes and cliches of the superhero/action genre, for better or worse. You've got massive plot contrivances and gaps in the internal logic of the film that simply would not be accepted in straight up crime thrillers or police dramas.

Like the thing with RICO. They got that completely wrong, but it's ok because it's a film about a guy dressed up as a bat who fights crime. But you make that same mistake in film like Heat, which heavily inspired TDK, or The Firm/A Few Good Men/other courtroom dramas? Well, that's just an epic fail.

Same as the stupid bullet scanning thing. How do you get fingerprints on a bullet when your fingers never touch the actual bullet, but the bullet casing? Again, in a straight up police or courtroom drama that just wouldn't be accepted, it'd be laughed at. And rightly so. Even those CSI Miami and New York programs don't have shit as stupid as that.

That said, i'm still looking forward to TDKR and i hope it's fucking awesome. I've liked what i've seen in the latest trailers.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 06-20-2012 at 01:30 PM.

I'm not worried about the batman movie not doing well. Even if it misses the Avengers' mark, it is still going to be huge.

That Spider-man movie has underperform written all over it.
    David Bowie fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    I'm not worried about the batman movie not doing well. Even if it misses the Avengers' mark, it is still going to be huge.

That Spider-man movie has underperform written all over it.

At one theater, TDKR sold 420 tickets, compared to Spider-Man's 8. LOL! My theater sold out all tickets, including the 3:30 AM showing, which has never happened before. The demand for this movie is HUGE. It's the final one, so it has to be. And the scenes are out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post

That Spider-man movie has under-perform written all over it.
    Agreed on all points.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

BANNED

I still think ASM will make at least 500 million, on it simply being a film about Spider-Man. I guess that could still be considered under-performing, although 500 million would make it financially successful.