View Poll Results: If the Dark Knight Rises Makes More Money Than Avengers

Voters
150. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • People want a great movie first, action second.

34 22.67%
  • Kids dig Batman more because of all the toys.

7 4.67%
  • Are you insane Avengers is making more money!

59 39.33%
  • People are tired of Thor, Hulk, Captain America...etc.

2 1.33%
  • The last movie made more money than God so...

9 6.00%
  • Since this is the last film people won't want to miss it.

39 26.00%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I don't see how, given he's already completed TDKR. And not to mention, TDKR is going for a completely different type of appeal than Avengers.
    What I meant is that Avengers is a hit critically and financially. If Nolan's movie is not well received then it could affect the box office. Whether it's better or worse than the Avengers is irrelevant it just needs to Blow people away if the movie wants to be box office champ.

Quote Originally Posted by black_knight View Post
    IMO marvel has a larger fanbase than dc so that automatically means that they get more money.only way dc gets more money is if casual or non-genre based people come to watch the movie..
    Well that's the thing, most people out there don't think about superheroes in terms of DC or Marvel, they just know these characters because they're all classic characters. Batman, Spider-Man, Mickey Mouse, Yoda, etc. Their Universe matters even less in the movies, because for the most part, super hero movies have been about one superhero or superhero group.. and other super heroes don't get involved.. So it's easy to see Spider-Man as having his own Universe. It's not like the comics where Daredevil and Punisher might show up, but Batman can't. And personally I believe most people who do care what Universe they're from love Batman as much as they love the Avengers anyway.

At the end of Dark Knight Rises, Nick Fury needs to show up and recruit Batman into joining the Avengers. We've got to save him from WB's disastrous movie planning. Now that Nolan's done one can only imagine what hot writers from the CW Television network will be penning the Dark Knight's future adventures.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Where exactly did I bash the Avengers? and I'm pretty sure I've already stated that the Avengers will make a ton of cash so what exactly are you complaining about again?
    Well I didn't say you did, but you did seem to be trying to justify the idea of it.. If that wasn't your intention I'm wrong. I don't want you to think I was trying to start an argument with you. I guess I was just trying to explain why there shouldn't be an argument at all. I'm sure if we spoke in person we'd agree on most things. Peace brother

Quote Originally Posted by Etoma View Post
    This may seem irrational to some, but my biggest problem with the Dark knight is that it disregards some of the comic elements of Batman. Its a statement that comic book movies can only be accepted and praised if they are 'gritty and realistic'. What I love about The Avengers is that it doesn't try to tone down what the Avengers comics are, its bright, loud and unapologetic.
    I see what you're saying, but I don't think TDK is as much a statement as it is just one way of doing something. Christopher Nolan's style was never the big action movie, it was always the gritty, somewhat realistic movie. Batman Begins came out in a time that superhero movies weren't trying to be so realistic, nor were they faithful to the comics at all.. So it introduced the idea of a super hero who might possibly be able to exist. Batman having no super powers made that a possibility, so I can see why they would sway toward taking out all the fantasy elements. Joss Whedon on the other hand, has used plenty of magical supernatural elements in his films, so he was just appropriate for The Avengers. Movies are constantly changing to be new and original, so I wouldn't worry about Batman setting a precedent that comic book films need to be changed to be more realistic. I agree with you though, that it's annoying when these movies go way too far away from the source material to the point that it changes critical things about a character that we know and love. I hated to see Spider-Man use a whiny voice while in costume.. he just doesn't do that as Spider-Man. He also almost NEVER reveals his secret identity. It's a major part of his character, and in those movies everyone and their mom knew Spider-Man was Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy53 View Post
    No he's right. You might not like the movie but most people and critics do. Nolan will need to have stepped his game up.
    Nolan won't need to have done anything. He's gonna make millions of dollars. I highly doubt he cares if his movie makes more or less money than the Avengers. The only people who think these movies are in some sort of competition with each other are angry fanboys, and a very small group of them at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Nolan won't need to have done anything. He's gonna make millions of dollars. I highly doubt he cares if his movie makes more or less money than the Avengers. The only people who think these movies are in some sort of competition with each other are angry fanboys, and a very small group of them at that.
    You forgot the people hoping WB's lack of success in comparison to Marvel Studios might inspire them to make great creative choices on their films and step-up their game and bring us bigger, better, and more amazing DC Films, instead of crap like Green Lantern.
    Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    At the end of Dark Knight Rises, Nick Fury needs to show up and recruit Batman into joining the Avengers. We've got to save him from WB's disastrous movie planning. Now that Nolan's done one can only imagine what hot writers from the CW Television network will be penning the Dark Knight's future adventures.
    Christopher Nolan's IMDB page has him credited for "untitled Batman reboot" in 2015 and it says "announced". So it looks like Nolan's not done.

Christopher Nolan's IMDB page has him credited for "untitled Batman reboot" in 2015 and it says "announced". So it looks like Nolan's not done.
    I'm sure DC may try to keep Nolan on as a producer but not much more than that, just like he's a producer on MoS.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

You forgot the people hoping WB's lack of success in comparison to Marvel Studios might inspire them to make great creative choices on their films and step-up their game and bring us bigger, better, and more amazing DC Films, instead of crap like Green Lantern.
    I completely agree with you there. Green Lantern was an opportunity for them to make an awesome movie about a popular character and they completely dropped the ball, hard.

IMDB is not accurate though, it can be edited by just about anyone no?
    Don't worry.

IMDB is not accurate though, it can be edited by just about anyone no?
    IMDB these days is about as accurate as "a random goofball on the internet once told me..." when it comes to movies from 2015.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

True but this thread is about TDKR making money. If it makes the most money then it would have to be a movie that blew people away but I couldn’t care less about most box office gross.

I'll be very interested in seeing how movies like DKR and Amazing Spider-Man perform given how many interesting factors are at play.

For one DKR is after a few blockbuster movies, two it's the third movie which is always the trickiest to match up to the previous films in both story and sales, and three I'm not sure how well how DKR has been tracking compared to the last movies. Personally I'll definitely see it but even I'm on the somewhat apathetic side until I see maybe a few more trailers or see the actual movie.

ASM has received almost no attention from the media at this point it seems. It will all change very soon of course, just like TDKR is getting some attention now. Let the viral campaign pick up and in 2 months time we will have a much better idea of how much hype and potential $ TDKR can make that first weekend, we'll know if it has a chance in breaking the now Avengers record for first weekend opening box office and whether or not it will be on pace to make more money than whatever Avengers has at that point. Let WB come out with a JL movie and then we can compare franchises but the sad fact is that a JL movie is still a long time away. With Superman coming out next year and the Nolan version of Batman coming to an end this summer, seems like we are back to square one (was the JL movie project ever further than square one?)