View Poll Results: If the Dark Knight Rises Makes More Money Than Avengers

Voters
150. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • People want a great movie first, action second.

34 22.67%
  • Kids dig Batman more because of all the toys.

7 4.67%
  • Are you insane Avengers is making more money!

59 39.33%
  • People are tired of Thor, Hulk, Captain America...etc.

2 1.33%
  • The last movie made more money than God so...

9 6.00%
  • Since this is the last film people won't want to miss it.

39 26.00%
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

I've never been a huge Avengers fan, but I love some of the characters on their own. This to me is going to be a major commonality that will drive huge numbers on this movie. I've been a Batman fan my entire life, but for some reason, I'm never overly excited when a new Bat movie comes out. We've seen him on screen many times now. Not so with the Avengers. This is a first, and people are really excited about it.

Now if DC can just build up a few more movies and get that Justice League film up and running, and I get the feeling that would shatter any records you could put in its path.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

The Avengers was good but not great. It's fun, but I had no attachment to the movie. There's never a sense that anything or anyone was in danger. I appreciate the humor but a darker tone would've helped. I'm really psyched about Batman. I want the Avengers to do better, because I'm a huge Marvel fan. I still want the Dark Knight Rises to do well. I think the numbers will be close.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    It was enough for me to get the team together and watch them break a few blocks of New york scenery. They've got their individual films to be introspective in. For the team movies, a little nextwave-style "Kick! 'Splode!" is all I need..
    And going by the success of Avengers, as well as movies like Transformers, I don't doubt that majority of people just need "Kick! 'Splode!" to be satisfied.

I personally think the formula Marvel used was necessary for setting up Phase I of the MCU. It was a great way to introduce the characters to the GA because lets face it these characters aren't as well known as Batman and Spider-man. Kevin Feige has said they would come up with more original and less predictable storylines for phase II than the more formulaic stuff everyone has pegged on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    And going by the success of Avengers, as well as movies like Transformers, I don't doubt that majority of people just need "Kick! 'Splode!" to be satisfied.
    I don't think most people went to see The Avengers for the explosions. I think it was the fact that everyone had their own movies and everyone saw that it was connected which probably intrigued the general audience.

Well it is set to take the record for opening weekend with a 175 million Batman better be the shit if it want to come close to that.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy53 View Post
    I personally think the formula Marvel used was necessary for setting up Phase I of the MCU. It was a great way to introduce the characters to the GA because lets face it these characters aren't as well known as Batman and Spider-man. Kevin Feige has said they would come up with more original and less predictable storylines for phase II than the more formulaic stuff everyone has pegged on them.
    That is their greatest achievement imo. These series of movies elevated characters like Iron Man, and Thor up a level in the public eye. The long term plan they took with these movies and building the marvel universe slowly on film was fantastic. Each film branched out and expanded the MU, from high tech branches, to mystical/magical, now they opened up even more cosmic branches of the MU.

DC needs a long term plan of a similar vein imo for a Justice league movie to work. I think they tried it but not very well. Without Batman's participation in a "larger" DC shared universe in his movies which are by far the easiest to get off the ground and get butts in the seats they are at a disadvantage. Then add to that Green lantern being awful, Wonder Woman can't even get a tv show let alone her own movie going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy53 View Post
    I don't think most people went to see The Avengers for the explosions. I think it was the fact that everyone had their own movies and everyone saw that it was connected which probably intrigued the general audience.
    Ok reading my own post, it sounds like I'm trying to sneakily attack the movie by putting it in the same line as Transformers, so I should clarify that's NOT what I meant. I just mean that a movie doesn't really have to have much beyond explosions and action to make a lot of money, as seen in Transformers. I do agree that Avengers has those elements of a Michael Bay film, but is much better in contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    Well it is set to take the record for opening weekend with a 175 million Batman better be the shit if it want to come close to that.
    You know trhe funny thing is 175 milion, is very low end estimate by this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    I hope TDKR makes a ton of money, but I don't see why some people have to bash Avengers because they want TDKR to do better money wise. I loved both Batman movies and I had a amazing time watching Avengers. I have seen it twice and both times the audiences gave it a standing ovation. I say enjoy the movies. Comic movies are kicking ass and that's good for comics. TDKR is going to be a phenom in the theaters, but if you look that's the only franchise DC has. Jonah Hex and Green Lantern didn't exactly light up the theaters. TDKR is going to do exactly what we all know it's going to do. What DC needs to worry about is what Superman does.
    Agreed. Fanboys are the worst. If the rumor I read was true, DC/WB has something major coming. I'm betting a JLA movie. And then solo movies to follow. I hope they get a good director attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Ok reading my own post, it sounds like I'm trying to sneakily attack the movie by putting it in the same line as Transformers, so I should clarify that's NOT what I meant. I just mean that a movie doesn't really have to have much beyond explosions and action to make a lot of money, as seen in Transformers. I do agree that Avengers has those elements of a Michael Bay film, but is much better in contrast.
    I don’t think you were trying to attack the movie I just think there were more factors that played into the GA’s interest. You’re not wrong though some people did go just for action.

I hope both movies are successful but I do believe the Avengers will end up beating it at the boxoffice. Personally I don't see TDKR crossing over 400 million domestically but even if it ends up with over 300 million, that's still impressive.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3433&p=.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur72 View Post
    I hope both movies are successful but I do believe the Avengers will end up beating it at the boxoffice. Personally I don't see TDKR crossing over 400 million domestically but even if it ends up with over 300 million, that's still impressive.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3433&p=.htm
    Honestly I think it will be hard for both films to make 400 mil domestic.

Box office speaks nothing to the quality of movie, The Dark Knight made a ton of money and so did transformers and twilight. Comparing critical reviews like rotten tomatoes ratings is a flawed, but better method.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Agreed. Fanboys are the worst. If the rumor I read was true, DC/WB has something major coming. I'm betting a JLA movie. And then solo movies to follow. I hope they get a good director attached to it.
    Yeah word on the street is that we'll get a major announcement around the time TDKR is in the theaters. Honestly, I'm one of the few people that doesn't care about the idea of a shared cinematic universe, but WB is definitely going to go in that direction now.