People actually voting for Carlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Probably_not_a_Nurgling View Post
    Biggest surprises on this list:

Felicia and Aunt May above Gwen.
    May deserves to sit higher than Jonah, easily

People actually voting for Carlie.
    The surprise is how people still really loathe her
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    The surprise is how people still really loathe her
    Why must everyone love her?

I'd put Harry, Jonah, and Aunt May well above MJ.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

I just love how this poll basically validates the fact that the general public sees MJ as Marvel's First Lady (significant other of the company's flagship hero) as well as finds her incredibly cool on an individual level, deserving of beating out mammoth icons like Aunt May and JJJ. Try to downplay Mary Jane Watson's significance NOW, biatches!

Pirelli's Miracle Elixir Probably_not_a_Nurgling's Avatar

I'm not a big Spidey fan so I'm probably missing something, but I've never got the appeal of Aunt May at all.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

I'm not a big Spidey fan so I'm probably missing something, but I've never got the appeal of Aunt May at all.
    Read JMS' take on her and you will like her. Everyone else? Meh.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Think about the origin of Batman. How his parents were both gunned down.

Now think back to Uncle Ben being murdered. And realize that for Peter, this could happen ALL over again.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    I just love how this poll basically validates the fact that the general public sees MJ as Marvel's First Lady (significant other of the company's flagship hero) as well as finds her incredibly cool on an individual level, deserving of beating out mammoth icons like Aunt May and JJJ. Try to downplay Mary Jane Watson's significance NOW, biatches!
    I think the term wife help enough.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Pre-MJ, Aunt May was the lone anchor who kept Peter from falling into Batman levels of disturbed angst post Uncle Ben's murder. Then she continued to be the main source for instilling the immense kindness, empathy and respect for others found in Peter Parker's being. And best of all, she was insistent on pairing up Peter with MJ right from the start because Aunt May, like Gerry Conway, has limitless amount of foresight!

Even the reappearance of Gwen (actually just the clone during the first clone saga), did not deter Aunt May from brazenly advocating the Peter/MJ ship, actively attempting to push for it-

(It may seem like Aunt May is being a witch here but given the fact that there was no way she could have known about The Jackal and his diabolical clone conspiracies, Gwen must have come across as a real ass to her in the given situation, for letting people believe that she had passed away and in the process, toying with the emotions of her beloved nephew in a horrible manner).

I also like how Parallel Lives insinuates that May, through her love and kindness, was a big factor in grounding Mary Jane from turning into the Lindsay Lohan prototype due to her highly troubled childhood.

As mentioned earlier, the JMS run had the best take on Aunt May and if she continues to receive that kind of characterization, she would be able to actually beat J. Jonah in popularity and significance as well. For me, the Aunt May/Peter/MJ family dynamics is the most touching and epic in all of comics.

It's not just you.

But I'd still put her near the top of one of these lists. I don't like JJJ either, but he is a top supporting character because of his contributions.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Why must everyone love her?
    No one has to love her enough to vote for her

But why go extreme over the top hate for her, many do
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    No one has to love her enough to vote for her

But why go extreme over the top hate for her, many do
    I see lots of posters here dissing on Mary Jane just as bad. Perhaps not nearly as many, but they do.

I think I'd have liked Carlie more as a character had they not put her and Peter in a romantic relationship. She got crazy annoying at that point.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Mary Jane is so engrained into Spider-Man that it's to be expected there are people who are negative about her. "Haters gonna hate."

As far as Carlie, I think the hate she gets comes from not being Mary Jane. For being "the next girl" and for being introduced in One More Day (and being symbolic of that particular story). After all, if Mary Jane were put into the position of "love interest" with "The Night Gwen Stacy Died," symbolically speaking, it isn't surprising people would compare Carlie's introduction to her becoming "the love interest."

Of course comics don't really work that simply but the reception was what it was.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page