Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That's why I've said you need to try again. You're just plain wrong.
    I think you are the one that's wrong.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Interesting Greg Weisman audio interview regarding his take on MJ-

The most shocking part is where he revealed that the network sent them a note against including MJ's "Face it, tiger!" line on Spectacular, saying it was too conceited on her part. Which.. wha?? God damn, it is about time the Mary Jane Watsons toppled the Bella Swans when it comes to public sensibilities and expectations regarding young women and their attitude towards themselves. We are in the friggin' second decade of the 21st century already! Makes you appreciate Stan all the more that he thought such a line to be killer coming from a teenage girl like MJ way back in the 60s.

And it also solidifies my belief that MJ deserved this win over JJJ. She deserved it more because, contrary to appearances, it is a much more uphill battle for MJ to win over the social stigmas stacked against someone like her than it is for lovable and cuddly Picklepuss to do the same.

BANNED

Well, with MJ being #1 I would think she'd be safe from getting killed of in a future story that's for sure. It wouldn't be wise to kill off a #1 supporting cast member of one's flagship character book.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I would have put Jonah #1. Peter Parker girlfriends come and go, but Jameson is forever.

Should've went with the CPR pic there.

Last edited by OrpheusTelos; 05-01-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

I'm upset, Jonah is higher than May
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

The top three is exactly as it should be, in order of importance.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    The top three is exactly as it should be, in order of importance.
    No, it really isn't. It's conceivable the franchise could have moved forward on equal, if different, footing without MJ.

But JJJ set the tone for the series!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    No, it really isn't. It's conceivable the franchise could have moved forward on equal, if different, footing without MJ.

Whether or not MJ was important for Spider-Man's long term success has nothing to do with her importance in the universe as it is now. And in that universe, she is the most important supporting character.

The issues after BND showed it best. The fact that MJ wasn't even around affected those early stories, and their reception (even after Jackpot left). A character having an impact due to their presence is one thing, but when a characters absence has an impact? That's a whole 'nother league.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

During MJ's absence from the series post-OMD, the stories were basically reviled by the general readership. After MJ reappeared, but just as Peter's friend, the series switched to a temporary transitory state, where the adrenaline rush of arcs like Spider-Island were helped a great deal by the fumes of "Will they/Won't they?" around Peter and MJ's relationship. Now with Ends of the Earth, we are in the home stretch and may soon arrive at a conclusion in some capacity or the other with regards to Pete/MJ, bringing the series full circle yet again(first time being her departure and comeback in the late 70s and 80s respectively). Once MJ receives an upgrade in status quo, ASM is bound to stabilize in terms of tone at the very least. So yeah, I would say that MJ is not only just a cornerstone of the franchise but her changing status quo also symbolizes AND affects the rapidly shifting tone of the series. So she's kind of the pendulum AND the clock hands, if you will!

Technically Uncle Ben's death set the tone for the series. And for every JJJ we have always had a Flash brazenly in support of Spidey. J. Jonah shares an excellent dynamic with the webhead for sure, but I don't see how he sets the tone for anything. In some ways, that is like saying Fox News sets the tone for the Obama presidency.
    Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 05-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

I would have swapped May & JJJ otherwise good final list. I really just can't stand JJJ most of the time. When he's not being a raving lunatic about Spider-Man/abusing his staff he's alright but that's so rare.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Yes, it really is. Ask any random person with a passing knowledge of Spider-man who the most important, non-powered side characters are. Chances are high you'll get a list just like this top 3.

They also never said this list was limited to just the comic realm. Whether "the franchise could have moved forward on equal, if different, footing without MJ" is irrelevant to the poll.

JJJ as mayor was the most brilliant move of the whole BND era. LOL.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

My top three:

1. Gwen Stacy
    2. J. Jonah Jameson
    3. Aunt May
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    JJJ as mayor was the most brilliant move of the whole BND era. LOL.
    It actually is. Although it takes us out of the notion that Marvel's comics happen "outside your window."

But from a story perspective, it was a great idea.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    I would have swapped May & JJJ otherwise good final list. I really just can't stand JJJ most of the time. When he's not being a raving lunatic about Spider-Man/abusing his staff he's alright but that's so rare.
    May is the most important
    As for Jonah, I like him as a comic relief, like every time Spidey uses his web on him
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity