Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Ok, after watching it all day... It grew on me. It's a really good trailer.

I'm actually excited about Hathaway as Selina.

I still dislike Bane's voice. It reminds me of Sean Connery's voice at times.

It will all come back to Liam Neeson's first interaction with Bruce Wayne, dealing with "becoming more than just a man" and the like.

The character of John Blake is probably John Blake, but an amalgam of smaller portions of various comic book characters. In the Nolanverse, there isn't any Robin or Dick Grayson or anyone. For all we know, Gotham City might've been under siege for YEARS and John Blake's parents/wife/someone significant could've been killed in the initial onslaught. So he's determined to make a difference and becomes an Officer. Who knows? The point being: he doesn't need to be someone prominent from the comics at this point in the Nolan Batman trilogy.

Most likely, the film climaxes with Batman/Bruce sacrificing himself in some manner -- either his life, or his ability to stay as Batman -- to the point where John Blake is chosen as his successor. Because the idea of Bruce devoting everything into Batman pushes Batman into that "legend" that Neeson/Al Ghul first taunted Bruce with.

What you'll have is the film closing out on Blake Batman donning the cape and cowl for the first time, the spotlight painting the underside of gotham's cloudcover, and the notion that Batman has become the legend Bruce always envisioned and the hero Gotham will always have.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-Dredd View Post
    Production filming finished in January or February, I know its gonna be a CGI heavy film but after about 6 months of post-production they should at least have some footage to show.
    Yes one would think, and since Nolan has his hand on both movies I think it might be just a bit more possible to get something. A teaser trailer would calm my needs and get me pumped some few minutes before TDKR.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    Dont bet on that EVER happening. Even if it bombs expect Sony to release another reboot or an Ultimate version in exactly 3-4 years time. Not sure exact details of contracts but like the X-men franchise with Fox as long as they release SOMETHING, any kind of live action movie the rights stay with them continuously. There is no way Sony would give up on a mulit-billion dollar franchise like Spiderman so easily.
    You're probably right. *Sigh* I would be more interested in a Spider-Man/Wolverine movie than any Avengers stuff we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by iRacingRyan View Post
    It will all come back to Liam Neeson's first interaction with Bruce Wayne, dealing with "becoming more than just a man" and the like.

The character of John Blake is probably John Blake, but an amalgam of smaller portions of various comic book characters. In the Nolanverse, there isn't any Robin or Dick Grayson or anyone. For all we know, Gotham City might've been under siege for YEARS and John Blake's parents/wife/someone significant could've been killed in the initial onslaught. So he's determined to make a difference and becomes an Officer. Who knows? The point being: he doesn't need to be someone prominent from the comics at this point in the Nolan Batman trilogy.

Most likely, the film climaxes with Batman/Bruce sacrificing himself in some manner -- either his life, or his ability to stay as Batman -- to the point where John Blake is chosen as his successor. Because the idea of Bruce devoting everything into Batman pushes Batman into that "legend" that Neeson/Al Ghul first taunted Bruce with.

What you'll have is the film closing out on Blake Batman donning the cape and cowl for the first time, the spotlight painting the underside of gotham's cloudcover, and the notion that Batman has become the legend Bruce always envisioned and the hero Gotham will always have.
    I'm very much hoping this is the direction Nolan is taking. But part of the fun of all this is I really don't know -- and that's a rare and special thing in this sort of movie, I think.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Here's what I think will happen.

- Bruce's been retired for eight years. Look at that grumpy recluse beard.
    - Bruce meets Miranda and gets his act back together. Look, they're kissing in the trailer.
    - Bane carries out his intricate plot to take over Gotham. He starts by lowering the peoples' morale by exposing Harvey Dent for the murderer he is. Eventually the attack becomes a full-scale invasion.
    - At this point Miranda's revealed to be Talia. Maybe they changed her name to keep the secret a little while longer, whatever, she's with the League. Lucius, Alfred, or some other supporting character is killed.
    - Batman manages to hold off the attack for a while, but eventually he's beaten by Bane who takes him to some prison somewhere. Bane closes off Gotham and plans to destroy it or something.
    - Everything is sad for a while until Bruce mans up and gets out of the prison.
    - Batman gets back to Gotham and stages an uprising against Bane.
    - Batman and Bane face off one last time. Maybe Bruce kills Bane and decides he can't be Batman anymore, or he sacrifices himself to stop him.
    - Joseph Gordon-Levitt becomes Batman.

Amazing trailer. Can't wait to see this on the big screen.

What I love about Nolan's Bat-films (and why they are the benchmark, for me, when it comes to superhero films) is the way that Nolan isn't afraid of taking chances with the characters or plot. Just look at the speculation within this thread--nobody here knows if Bruce Wayne will even survive the end of this film! That uncertainty, alone, puts Nolan in a completely different class for me.

I haven't seen the Avengers yet. But with Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2 already tentatively scheduled in the next few years I think it's safe to say that they all win in the end and survive the fight in Avengers. Now, that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the film; but not knowing if Wayne will survive when I walk into the midnight showing just elevates things to a whole different level.

Was there ever any doubt Superman / Spiderman / X-Men / whomever would win in the end? Not really. The Dark Knight upped the stakes by having Batman lose in the end (shades of Empire Strikes Back). That's not so unheard of in film, but it is in the superhero genre and I love Nolan's risk taking.

I wouldn't say Batman lost in The Dark Knight, you could say it was a wash maybe, but overall he did stop the city from being kaboomed. It was an unexpected twist on the tone of the ending for our hero, but still.

Also, while I agree we don't know if Batman will live, especially since they're advertising it so we ask that question, I never felt Batman could die in the previous two films. So I'd say that's more specific to this movie than a reflection on Nolan's Batfilms in general. Also you compare to X-Men there, and honestly I'd say X-Men: First Class has more of a down ending than The Dark Knight. And let's give Spidey credit, the ending of Spider-Man 2 where MJ looks concerned was a little something.

I'll agree these Bat movies are pretty much the best, but with the Avengers looking like it has a lot more humor, and of course sci-fi etc, they're both covering different aspects of what make comics great.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 05-02-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    DROKK IT!!

You make a good point about First Class, but I didn't mention it because it's a prequel. Nothing in the ending was a surprise as all of the characters had to end up that way eventually, and being a prequel (or soft reboot, take your pick) it always was going to end somberly. We had to see the Charles / Eric relationship dissolve & Charles' paralysis before it was over.

I guess I consider it a loss for Batman in The Dark Knight because he starts the film as a hero that the citizens want to emulate and copy and ends it labeled as a murderer. But my point isn't whether it's the only film to show the hero "losing" or not, but that Nolan isn't afraid to take risks with the character. Begins played it safe, but Dark Knight didn't. From the moment the teaser hit for DKR, with the tagline "The Legend Ends", everyone has wondered if Nolan would actually kill him off. Now, granted, that could just be a red herring; but nobody will know until July 20th. I think it's been safe to say that all heroes in the Avengers were safe from day one.

Again, that doesn't take away from Avengers at all (I'm stoked to see it this weekend). I was just explaining why Nolan's Bat-films (so far) are the best of the genre to date for me.

Remember how Bruce was the focus of Begins? He still was part of the focus of TDK, but he shared the spotlight with Dent and Joker. In the end it came down to the Joker being a natural disaster that pushed everyone too hard and only Bruce held to his morals while Dent went insane. So yeah it came down to him, but for the story to work they had to show Dent too, otherwise his fall to madness wouldnt mean anything.

My point is that while the story was great, Bruce wasnt as much the focus as i'd like. I'm sensing that JGH's John Blake is going to be a big player in TDKR. We also have the Nixon character, Bane, Talia, Catwoman... I'm really hoping that this isnt like Revenge of the Fallen where Prime dies at the start and only reappears in the end to kick some ass. Yeah, he'll have his moments in the middle, but... you know what i mean.

There's been a copypasta postied on another site which comes down to this:

POSSIBLY MAJOR SPOILERS
    spoilers:

- Bruce hurts his back while saving Gordon's son at the end of TDK and that's why he has the cane.
    - 8 years later Miranda is a Wayne board member who gets close to him. She convinces him to stage that charity gala we see in the trailers.
    - But she's working with Bane and that whole gala was staged to give Bane the opportunity to capture all the rich guys of Gotham, who are attending it. Alfred is taken too.
    - Catwoman hates rich people and especially Bruce but likes Batman for what he did for Gotham. She's working with Bane because she thinks he means well for the poor people.
    - Bruce escapes the gala assault. If i remember correctly he either chases Bane, or Bane surprises him in the batcave. I cant remember.
    - In any case, Bane beats him up, captures him and jails him in the Lazarus pit, that jail from the trailer that looks like a well.
    - Bane wants revenge for Ras who Batman left to die in Begins.
    - Bane takes control of the city. He exposes the truth about Dent but that causes the Gothamites to gain a lot of respect for Batman for what he did. They ve been hating him all this time.
    - Bruce gets training in the jail. I have no idea how some random dudes can heal his 8 year old back problem or improve his already awesome fighting skills. Maybe he just trains back to his peak. I assume he'd lost that after 8 years of not being Batman.
    - There's that bridge sequence where Blake tries to evacuate some kids of Gotham in a schoolbus. I dont know what's the deal with the kids. What about all the other millions of kids in gotham?
    - Blake is Gordon's right hand, a good cop who steps up being inspired by Batman. And this is why i'm afraid that Blake will be this movie's Dent.
    - Batman escapes from the pit. There's a story about a little girl escaping, the only one who ever made it. Talia later reveals it was her. In any case the story inspires him and he makes it out.
    - Comes back to Gotham, meets with Gordon who's rallying all cops to overthrow Bane.
    - Catwoman figures out that Bruce is Batman. She also realises that Bane doesnt mean well for anyone so she sides with Batman.

And that's all i got.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.

I posted on another forum my reactions, but here they are:

1. The two scenes with Batman sound slightly different in tone. The one at the end about it not being a car sounds like the normal Bale gravel voice. The previous one though doesn't have the same tone of voice as normal. I'm not sure if it's because Catwoman finds out who he is so there's no point in hiding it, just a mistake on Bale's part, or if it's someone else under the mask.

2. How many years have passed since the first film? Im wondering if Blake could be the kid we saw in the first film who Batman gave the gadget to. It could help link Blake's character to Batman if that's the case.

3. Bane. So damn excited. No he doesn't look like a crazed out luchadore, but there's just something menacing about his look, the sound of his voice, and how utterly calm he is when speaking with Batman. Love it.

Btw, i really hate that part where Batman says "no, not yet". It's like in the end of TDK. Bale tilts his head, stares at the horizon and delivers his lines like he's stoned or something. It was bad in TDK but at least you could justify it because he was beaten up, stabbed, and fell off from that ledge. But here... Not again damn it!

TDK was a rehash of a lot of previous Batman media and I loved Joker so I liked it. This to me looks like a rehash of the last two movies. I'm gonna pass.

BANNED

haha liar. you know you're gonna see it.