Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

About the Nolan being unsubtle about the themes, you kind of have to remember that he's creating BATMAN movies. They know that kids will want to watch them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was WB's call to give exposition to to the otherwise subtle themes.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    I wouldn't compare Nolan to Spielberg from any era. Two completely different styles and sensibilities.

They're not incomparable at all. Schindler's List and Munich are very much in Noland's style. Inception and the Prestige are much like Spielberg. Besides, the point of my original post was that Noland and Spielberg are successful writer/directors, not that their films are supposed to look alike.
    Last edited by Ian Pressman; 05-01-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

liked the trailer... best one yet.

as i've now seen The Avengers a few times, i'm ready to move on to the other summer blockbusters (while waiting for the Avengers Blu-Ray)... bring on Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises!

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Loving the Catwoman overload here. Up to this point, she's been pretty much hidden under a rock. Go Anne! You don't suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    He deserves the accolades he's been given.
    I disagree. His films are often hailed for being more intelligent than they really are, and he has serious problems with dialogue.

BANNED

Yeah Ann looks great in this. Nolan always manages to make the unexpected choices for the role work.

Quote Originally Posted by fiestaoffire View Post
    What I learned today: Nolan is the movie equivalent to Snyder.
    LOL. So very true. I was getting deja vu vibe while reading the thread
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

I wouldn't say that. Memento and The Prestige are truly great films. The Prestige i think is Nolan's masterpiece. His Bat movies are grossly overrated though.
    The Prestige is indeed an excellent film. I will periodically bring that out and watch it, and it is still entertaining. I disagree with you, however, that Nolan's Bat-films are overrated.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Nolan is a grossly overrated director, but I love Batman, so I'll see this on opening night.
    Seriously apparently anything or anybody who has even a modicum of success nowadays is branded with the whole overrated tag, not having a go at you but I hate how it's almost become the norm in society to hate on something just because it's successful. We used to just see this kinda thing in sports but now it seems like this attitude to bring others down when they are high achievers is effecting other aspects of society. Nolan is a good director, he makes good movies, people watch them, even (most) critics like them, how you get overrated out of that I'll never know.

The same analogy can be applied to Batman himself, he's without a doubt the most popular superhero of the last couple of years now he's got AAA movies, games and comics and look at the amount haters who have come out of the woodwork recently for him... "He doesn't have powers, he's too emo, Arkham Asylum/City suck, TDK is only good because of Ledger, Snyder is overrated, blah blah blah"

Using this logic I guess you could say Iron Man is overrated then since he's Marvel's "it" boy right now and is celebrating success on all fronts and his movies are critically acclaimed.

As for Bane, I don't think people will ever be satisfied with his portrayal, people complain when we get the philosophical anti-hero type Bane in the Secret Six, people complain more when we get big, dumb, juiced up brute Bane in Arkham Asylum and more recently Batman:TDK ongoing... Now the we get a more sinister, smarter Bane which is much closer to his origins in terms of personality and people complain yet again all because he doesn't look and sound like a lucha libre wrestler and use a fluro green version of steroids (and I have a feeling venom will show up in some capacity in the movie anyway).

There's no satisfying some people...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    About the Nolan being unsubtle about the themes, you kind of have to remember that he's creating BATMAN movies. They know that kids will want to watch them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was WB's call to give exposition to to the otherwise subtle themes.
    I don't think so. All his scripts are full of horribly unnatural exposition heavy dialogue. It works with some like The Prestige and Inception because the very nature of the stories require some explaining. Explaining the magic tricks for example. Explaining how the layers of the dreams work for example. His Bat movies just insist upon themselves. Like i said before, they play it so straight and deadly serious it goes right over to corny melodrama. His characters don't seem to speak like real human beings. It's all overwraught pontificating. There is no prose. And his attempt at comedy are just... ugh. Have a nice trip, see you next fall? lol

If he did a movie like Blade Runner you can guarantee he'd have a character have dialogue explaining the theme of the movie. He'd actually have a character say something like "If Replicants can learn to have human emotions, what is the difference between us and them? What does it mean to be human?". And that would be terrible.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 05-01-2012 at 04:16 AM.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

I disagree. His films are often hailed for being more intelligent than they really are, and he has serious problems with dialogue.
    How do you measure the intelligence of a film? It's more like his films are hailed for presenting complex ideas to his audience without dumbing them down for easier consumption. You like comics, so you're probably a purveyor of more radical ideas than the kinds present in Nolan's movies, so they'll naturally seem less impressive to you. Take someone who's never read about memory seeding though and have him watch inception for the first time, and he'll be blown away.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

BANNED

I don't think so. All his scripts are full of horribly unnatural exposition heavy dialogue. It works with some like The Prestige and Inception because the very nature of the stories require some explaining. Explaining the magic tricks for example. Explaining how the layers of the dreams work for example. His Bat movies just insist upon themselves. Like i said before, they play it so straight and deadly serious it goes right over to corny melodrama.

If he did a movie like Blade Runner you can guarantee he'd have a character have dialogue explaining the theme of the movie. He'd actually have a character say something like "If Replicants can learn to have human emotions, what is the difference between us and them? What does it mean to be human?". And that would be terrible.
    To some extent I agree, but I think you're exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonecrusher View Post
    Seriously apparently anything or anybody who has even a modicum of success nowadays is branded with the whole overrated tag, not having a go at you but I hate how it's almost become the norm in society to hate on something just because it's successful. We used to just see this kinda thing in sports but now it seems like this attitude to bring others down when they are high achievers is effecting other aspects of society. Nolan is a good director, he makes good movies, people watch them, even (most) critics like them, how you get overrated out of that I'll never know.
    There are many successful directors whose work I enjoy (many of them aren't too active anymore, but Scorsese is one example). I simply don't think his films are the masterpieces they're often hailed as. I have no problem with people enjoying Nolan's films and I'm certainly not interested in "bringing him down" or whatever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    How do you measure the intelligence of a film? It's more like his films are hailed for presenting complex ideas to his audience without dumbing them down for easier consumption. You like comics, so you're probably a purveyor of more radical ideas than the kinds present in Nolan's movies, so they'll naturally seem less impressive to you. Take someone who's never read about memory seeding though and have him watch inception for the first time, and he'll be blown away.
    You've gotta be joking? Spoon feeding and speaking down to the audience is one of his biggest problems. He actually has characters explain the theme of the movie in dialogue.

There are many successful directors whose work I enjoy (many of them aren't too active anymore, but Scorsese is one example).
    You think Nolan scripts are full of horribly unnatural exposition heavy dialogue, but you like Scorsese?
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.