Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Maybe.

But part of what makes Ram Singh interesting was that he was Wentworth's "backup", so to speak. As he seems to be portrayed, it sounds like him doing what he did in the pulps would be difficult.

I just don't see this version of Ram Singh busting in with tommy guns or gurkhas to get the Spider out of a tough spot or the like, or grabbing a wounded Wentworth and whisking him away in a car.
    Just you wait! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    Yes, that is a big part of the Nina-Wentworth dynamic. But by having Nina married off to someone else, it messes up another part of the dynamic: that of them being around each other a lot, which is hard if Nina is married to someone else.
    That's totally fair. I didn’t see how it was possible to replicate the relationship, as it was, in the modern world so I made some changes that I hoped would retain the core of what was interesting about the relationship (or what I found interesting, at any rate). I knew some fans wouldn’t like it, but I always felt it was better to make changes in the interest of telling a cool story than to keep elements that didn’t ring true. In any case, I appreciate your checking the book out and your comments.

Waiting for the trade collection of this & The Shadow. I switched to trades w/ Dynamite because of all the companies the price difference between their monthlies & their trades is substantial.
    Last edited by md62; 05-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

just read it,

and i LOVED IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    just read it,

and i LOVED IT!!!
    Me too. Was the read of the week, imo (and that's saying something 'cos I read some good books this week, including the latest issue of the Lone Ranger, which was fantastic).

BANNED

Wasn't crazy about Nina & Kirk being married either. It seems like change for the sake of change. Otherwise I loved it. As always, the Spider is around to show the world what a candya$$ the Shadow is. :)

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I've never read the original pulp stories so I don't really care that these two characters weren't currently romantically involved, this is my first taste of The Spider and I was really into it and it felt like a quick 2 minute read (which is a good thing). Dynamite has a way of making me care about characters that I couldn't have given a damn about before they began publishing comics based on them, it's uncanny that they can do this but I love it!

BANNED

it's a bit like rebooting Superman and having Lois being married to Perry.

Pretty good issue as far as I'm concerned, I liked the way it updated the spider which was my single concern when I saw this solicited. As for Nina and Ram? They seem okay to me. Nina and the Spider always reminded me of Rick and Illsa from Casablanca and this update really keeps the feeling alive in a modern way, as "although I love you I'm married to another." is a stronger reason for their to be sexual tension without them being together than, "I know you love me but I'm a vigilant and I can't afford a normal life." It worked back in the day but now that's sort of the standard hero trope so it was nice to see the end result but in a more realistic way.

And even though he's a lawyer I don't see why ram still can't come to the rescue, that's what friends do after all.

As for the art I found it satisfactory, though the action sequences were slightly difficult to discern what was happening. For instance I wasn't aware the zombie kid was stopped by a chain around his neck until the voice on the phone explained it. I had no idea what the panel that showed the zombie being restrained was, and it wasn't until after it was explained that I figured out why it was placed the way it was; to portray the surprise snap of the chain and the sudden halt, but that wasn't very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    it's a bit like rebooting Superman and having Lois being married to Perry.
    It's not really like that at all.

In the original relationship there was a sense of tension because although they were involved there was a feeling that they could never really be together because of the consequences of what might happen if the spider was unmasked. Here we get that same tension but in a modern way as you have the issue of Nina's fidelity despite her feelings for Wentworth and he won't do it as it would compromise both his friendship and his connection to the police. So you get that same simmering relationship with out resorting to what has become a slightly tired hero trope.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    I've never read the original pulp stories so I don't really care that these two characters weren't currently romantically involved, this is my first taste of The Spider and I was really into it and it felt like a quick 2 minute read (which is a good thing). Dynamite has a way of making me care about characters that I couldn't have given a damn about before they began publishing comics based on them, it's uncanny that they can do this but I love it!
    i suggest you check out the original stories, they are great fun.

I thought it was good but not perfect. The pacing was off for me. I love the art though, and the spider is a pretty neat character. Sort spiderman meets batman.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not really like that at all.

In the original relationship there was a sense of tension because although they were involved there was a feeling that they could never really be together because of the consequences of what might happen if the spider was unmasked. Here we get that same tension but in a modern way as you have the issue of Nina's fidelity despite her feelings for Wentworth and he won't do it as it would compromise both his friendship and his connection to the police. So you get that same simmering relationship with out resorting to what has become a slightly tired hero trope.
    The problem is that the original reason is NOT because he'd leave her a widow and any children orphans but because of the disgrace and culpability that would follow of him being revealed as a mass murderer. As such, that reasoning is just as applicable today as then.

Plus, their relationship is not merely one of romantic partners kept apart. While not being able to get married, they are still a very romantic and passionate couple that share everything, grabbing every bit of happiness and time together they can. There's wooing and playfulness. They come across as being truly married, moreso than most couples, in spirit and deed if not legally. The important part of their relationship is not what keeps them apart, but how they are together. And, most comic book fans are used to heroes having long-time girlfriends without getting married. It's not an issue unless made into one, which this does. In this take, there's no way to get that kind of passion and real romance without making them adulturers and making Kirk a bit cuckolded as his wife is actively working against him.

Plus, I'm just tired of this idea of billing great romances as one of the people is already in a committed relationship. It's a bit cliche by this point.

Then there's the matter that in the pulps, there is an arc over several stories where Kirk has his own tragic romantic interest and eventually does get married (as one story I read had him away on his honeymoon).
    Last edited by Ed Love; 05-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.

I'm just bummed that I have to wait a whole month for issue #2 :(

Hopefully there is no lateness!

Dynamite just tweeted that issue #1 has sold out through diamond dist!!!

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

my first go with this character.. ill definitly be back for issue 2. I really enjoyed the ruthlessness of the character. I hope this thing gets more mature instead of less as time rolls on

i looked for it in my LCBS yesterday, saddly it wasnt on the shelf. But thankfully comixology never runs out!