Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Smallville is sort of mixed blessing as a title, isn't it? It conveys what you need to know about the universe, but the story Miller is writing is definitely a Superman story.
    I agree. It is a mixed blessing because it brings in a wider demographic, people who might not normally pick up a comic book. It's been doing very well digitally. Expanding the demographic can only mean good things for the industry. However at the same time one doesn't have to have watched or know Smallville minutia to understand what's going on. Granted, there are "Easter Eggs" if you will, for those who watched.

I think Miller though does have to battle preconceived ideas and the baggage the title carries in some sectors. It's a Superman story. Miller is writing Superman in a book titled Smallville.

But I suppose part of that is due, in my opinion, to the shallow characterization plaguing all three titles right now.
    I completely agree with and share your opinion. I also wonder what the level of communication is between writers & editors across titles.

Another major concern, that's if this is true, is who the artist is gonna be!

Quote Originally Posted by kylesgirl View Post
    Eh different stokes for different folks. Most people love JL and Action. If you not buying you shouldn't be moaning about something you not reading anyway.
    I'm not "moaning" and I'm certainly not talking about things I have not read. Thanks for making assumptions, though.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Smallville is sort of mixed blessing as a title, isn't it? It conveys what you need to know about the universe, but the story Miller is writing is definitely a Superman story. Fun is the perfect word to describe it, too. It's just a great cast of characters with a lot of witty dialogue and cool plot twists. I'm enjoying the book so far and plan on buying the first collected print issue this Wednesday. I need some sort of Superman fix. If editorial is partly at fault for the sad state of Superman right now, which seems likely, then perhaps Miller should stay right where he is. I agree with you that Superman is pretty close to being three different people in Action, Superman, and Justice League. But I suppose part of that is due, in my opinion, to the shallow characterization plaguing all three titles right now.
    I agree about the Smallville comic being a solid and interesting Superman story...but if I were perfectly honest, I would say that I'm enjoying Action FAR more than I have Smallville. Superman's about on the same level, and since Supes really hasn't done a whole lot in JL since the first arc, I really can't say it's great for HIM, per se, but as a title overall I'd definitely put it over Smallville.

L.A.'s Own Flying Hero The Rocketeer's Avatar

I liked what Lobdell has done with "Red Hood and the Outlaws" and liked his work on "X-Men" back in the day.

I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

After all these months I still don't really get the argument that Superman seems different in the three titles he's in. To each their own of course, but I see absolutely nothing that strikingly different about him that cannot be attributed to him being a bit more green in the stories set in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I agree about the Smallville comic being a solid and interesting Superman story...but if I were perfectly honest, I would say that I'm enjoying Action FAR more than I have Smallville. Superman's about on the same level, and since Supes really hasn't done a whole lot in JL since the first arc, I really can't say it's great for HIM, per se, but as a title overall I'd definitely put it over Smallville.
    I wanted to give Action a try and I keep trying to like it, but I can't. I wanted to read about a young Superman who was a social justice crusader, who made mistakes, and who learned and matured. I have not read that story yet. There were bits and pieces of that story, but most of it got lost among numerous detours and yet another story about Superman going up against Metallo, Lex, and Brainiac. But I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I think he's doing pretty good on the books he does write, but I don' think he's the right guy for Superman.
    This is exactly how I feel.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Now that CAFU is not doing anything maybe he could be the new artist on Superman, though personally I'd rather see him on Action Comics. I think Julian Lopez could do a very good job too.

Hell I wouldn't mind if Brett Booth came over from Teen Titans since I like his Superman:

What the hey? Give him a shot. Who knows? He might tell a really cool story. Maybe DC are just rotating this title around to various creative teams until Morrison makes clear in Action all the specifics to this Superman's foundation, etc.

It's a shame DC don't get along with Mark Waid any more. He'd be an ideal writer for this title. Ditto Mark Millar. Oh well, see what happens.

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

I'll probably give Lobdell a shot. It would be nice to be able to read about the DCnU Superman. Action and Justice League didn't impress me. I'm getting Smallville, which I expect will be good, but that's a different continuity.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

Nothing against Lobdell but I've been enjoying the current Giffen/Jurgens team so to see them just be rotated out so soon is a real disappointment.

Perhaps they were always meant to be a "filler" creative team so that it gave DC enough time to line up another creative team but I think they've done a pretty good job with the book so far for it to not even feel that way. Scott Lobdell would have to turn out some dynamite work to prevent me from just dropping the book so with this rumor in the air I'm growing hesitant on keeping the title.

Artistically I'd like this to be split betwixt CAFU and Alex Kuder, alternating storylines (assuming Kuder is not a monthly guy, given the level of detail and quality and storytelling we seen in his work).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Nothing against Lobdell but I've been enjoying the current Giffen/Jurgens team so to see them just be rotated out so soon is a real disappointment.

Perhaps they were always meant to be a "filler" creative team so that it gave DC enough time to line up another creative team but I think they've done a pretty good job with the book so far for it to not even feel that way. Scott Lobdell would have to turn out some dynamite work to prevent me from just dropping the book so with this rumor in the air I'm growing hesitant on keeping the title.
    I suspect that DC is retooling the line, yet again. If Giffen, as rumored, is going to Legion of Superheroes as artist and (presumably) co-plotter, I think that's frankly a better fit and something I want to see more anyway, but I'll be sorry to lose him on Superman, even if his initial outing as writer wasn't all that impressive.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

That's a fine rendition by Booth there.