Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Understandng the subs vs. dubs debate

I dont understand why is that some ppl get so riled up about anime dubs and prefer watching the original.I am well aware that localization is a big concern when making dubbed anime which censors some stuff and alters some cultural references, but I mean if the Japanese dialogue of anime were to be translated "word for word" it would sound fairly stilted and probably have a fair amount of references people couldn't understand.I've noticed though that at least with a Latin American dub a lot of the original dialogue is kept with small changes for swearing and adding in Hispanic slang(and the occasional Hispanic cultural references).It works fine and I guess that's what anglophone anime fans are hoping for?.Also has anyone ever tried watching a dubbed anime with subs of the Japanese dialogue?.Makes for good cross-analysis IMO and from what I've seen so far it seems that the english dub is slightly more expositional (which I think when done badly makes a character's talking look contrived) and the phrasing might be a bit different but it'll drive the plot to the same places anyway.In the original Japanese things are said in a more natural fluid way which I guess is vernacular linguistic only benefit.Voice acting quality is another hot topic in this I guess.Even if the dialogue is closer to the original a VA's work can make or break it things but things might improve though when the voice of a character in the original sounds like to juvenile,though.Ultimately though if fans expect an ideal dub the only way to do it would be if like each series had a special team of linguists and VAs who are expert at oral translations and voice imitations wouldn't it?.

Return of the Jedi Last1oftheJedi's Avatar

I know some "purity" is lost in dubs.
    All the same, I perfer the dubs. FFX was a great example of how dubbed work (Auron) sometimes comes out better than the original.
    That being said, I know there are numerious animes that have lost a great deal to being poorly dubbed (as well as being "americanized"). So I suppose in the end, it depends on the quality of the dub work.
    I was playin' in the beginnin'. The rules all changed. I've been chewed up, and spit out, and booed off stage. - Eminem
    I dare you to make less sense - Dean Venture
    Squirrel Tactic!- Dale Gribble

I especially prefer dubs because I often multitask while watching and have the show on my tv while I'm doing something on my computer looking up every once in a while (or watching show and looking down at comp every once in a while). Subs I would have to watch the whole time. I don't mind subs for movies but since I watch large chunks of anime at a time it gets tiring to read it the whole time. Since I mainly read manga if the dub is bad I usually just don't watch it and go back to reading only the manga so no loss there.

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

I know I generally prefer subs, and that's because of two reasons:
    1. While this isn't the case all the time, several works require the presence of the "references that people can't understand" in order to fully appreciate the message the creators were trying to send. While its possible- but very hard- to capture most of the spirit of a reference in translated speech, that same spirit can be captured in writing and, at the same time, be reinforced by the sonorous cues given by the original speech (which are more likely to convey the correct subtleties).
    2. A lot of dubs (not necessarily most, and definitely not all) tended to have major issues with matching up what who speaks with how they speak, not including cases where this is done in-universe for story-related reasons. Sometimes this is tolerable, and other times you just want to rip your ears off. I've personally been burned enough times by badly done dubs that now I generally watch a series in its original language and then see if the dubbed version sounds okay.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

4Kids.

Just 4Kids.

It all stems from there.

I can tolerate dubs if they are good dubs. Most I've heard arent, though, and to be completely honest I tend to find Japanese names pronounced with American accents to be very grating.

Now, since I don't live in an English speaking country I'm actually pretty used to reading subtitles, and after watching a ton of subbed anime I can actually understand stray words and sentences and catch up on nuances in the Japanese language that would otherwise have been lost to me. So, over-all I prefer subs.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Duuubbbbbssss!

i'm a bit extreme in my stance in that i generally refuse to watch dubs, even ones that are said to be really good -- but from what i can tell, with the exception of outliers like me, the issue is less "dubs in general" than "terrible dubs". ones that don't even pretend at following the original script, or that cut out massive chunks of the product, or that use voice actors who are hilariously (or un-hilariously) wrong and bad at voicing the character(s) they are being paid to voice. or ones that suffer from more than one of these categories.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I don't get wrapped up in the whole subs vs dubs debate as many anime "fans" tend to do, I don't care which version of the anime you watch as long as you support the industry by buying your anime as opposed to stealing it. I prefer dubs, I actually dislike subs with a passion, but that doesn't make me any less of an anime fan than someone who watches the shows in their native language, it just means I like to enjoy it in a different way than they do. I can't help but to laugh when someone who steals all of their anime calls themselves a "fan" and then lashes out at those who enjoy their anime dubbed, I just tell them to compare their purchased collection versus mine and we'll just see who the real fan really is.

I prefer dubbed, but I respect those who enjoy subbed anime. Period.

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    I can't help but to laugh when someone who steals all of their anime calls themselves a "fan" and then lashes out at those who enjoy their anime dubbed, I just tell them to compare their purchased collection versus mine and we'll just see who the real fan really is.
    Most anime DVD releases I've heard of- and every anime DVD release I own- come both dubbed and subbed.

A real fan, or even someone who frequently watches DVDs, would know that.

People who have illegally accessed animation calling those who obtain their animation legally are hilarious, though.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

This is a stupid question.

I mean, have you ever even tried to sink a battleship with a dub? It is not easy, let me tell you what.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    Most anime DVD releases I've heard of- and every anime DVD release I own- come both dubbed and subbed.

A real fan, or even someone who frequently watches DVDs, would know that.

People who have illegally accessed animation calling those who obtain their animation legally are hilarious, though.
    Of course I know that. I was just saying that a "fan" who steals all of their anime and then lashes out at someone for enjoying anime dubbed because they enjoy theirs subbed, or vice versa, is not a true "fan". Fans support the industry and do that they can to make sure that the companies are receiving their payment in return for enjoying the product, fans don't download and enjoy without supporting what it is their consuming, I'd call those "fans" leeches if anything else.

I select both when possible. (I watch the disks both subbed and dubbed.) If I could pick only one I'd pick dub for the simple reason, sometimes the subs are hard to read (they fade into the rest of the pic) and disappear from the screen too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin-in-leather-jacket View Post
    i'm a bit extreme in my stance in that i generally refuse to watch dubs, even ones that are said to be really good -- but from what i can tell, with the exception of outliers like me, the issue is less "dubs in general" than "terrible dubs". ones that don't even pretend at following the original script, or that cut out massive chunks of the product, or that use voice actors who are hilariously (or un-hilariously) wrong and bad at voicing the character(s) they are being paid to voice. or ones that suffer from more than one of these categories.
    This is actually a major point. Dubs have had pretty shoddy quality until relatively recently since voice acting is serious business in Japan and wasn't usually done by anywhere nearly as highly skilled or experienced people in America and other dubbing nations. Nowadays newly dubbed anime tends to have at least a moderate pool of people who have been at it for a decade or two, but its still a far cry from a nation where their equivalent of Katie Perry and Chris Brown are jumping to be on the cast and/or the soundtrack a non-feature film animated work.

I still refuse to listen to the Ranma 1/2 Dubs after listening to their mangling of Equal Romance, which is not fair at all to the English voice actors since they are not a team up of 5 well known pop stars.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    I don't get wrapped up in the whole subs vs dubs debate as many anime "fans" tend to do, I don't care which version of the anime you watch as long as you support the industry by buying your anime as opposed to stealing it. I prefer dubs, I actually dislike subs with a passion, but that doesn't make me any less of an anime fan than someone who watches the shows in their native language, it just means I like to enjoy it in a different way than they do. I can't help but to laugh when someone who steals all of their anime calls themselves a "fan" and then lashes out at those who enjoy their anime dubbed, I just tell them to compare their purchased collection versus mine and we'll just see who the real fan really is.

I prefer dubbed, but I respect those who enjoy subbed anime. Period.
    [petpeeve] It's not theft. It's infringement. Goddammit. [/petpeeve]
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck