Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    That...does not reflect reality. Supreme launched very high--around a million copies--and Alan Moore came on when all comics were on a steady decline. The book didn't become a huge commercial hit when Alan took over--it because a critical darling--well respected and well reviewed. But to say the book was a dud and Alan saved it is simply untrue. Alan kept it going and it became more respected but it sold quite well before he came onboard.

erik of course you are right,sorry that the 1st amendment also allows the whiney,bitchy,or straight up trolls get their two cents in.i couldnt get my copy at my LCS,so i bought it today on comicxology...awesome job.

the DIE DIE DIE was a lil overkill,but hell he was locked up for so long,i would be ready to kill something too.

all i got to say is
    ITS ABOUT GODDAMNDED TIME

thanks erik
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Larsen speaks true, the first Supreme started off well enough and maintained a respectable enough sales record in an industry that was generally trending downwards. The problem Moore solved wasn't one of sales, but of direction. After the first dozen issues or so issues of that first series, Supreme seemed to have lost sight of its high concept and became rudderless, inconsistent, and all over the map. Moore turned the book into a smart, swell, fun romp through Superman's Silver Age and about sixty years of comic book history.

All well and good, but that doesn't mean that the original high concept or the original Supreme aren't worth revisiting. If anything, standing in contrast to the classically comic bookish world Moore built up during his run, that high concept and that character stands out in greater contrast than he ever did with those original Image characters who, by and large, played about as rough as he did. The new Supreme was never that compelling a character either, he was just a standard superhero cypher. It was the stories that Moore built around him that were compelling. So long as Larsen can make old Supreme and his stories interesting again, I don't know that it really matters that the big guy isn't too likeable.

That all being said, I'm along for the ride and hoping Larsen will be able to pull it off.

Even though I wasn't a fan of the Liefeld Supreme I bought it for the beautiful Brian Murray art. I did start reading Supreme again when Alan Moore started writing the book. I don't mind a "jerkish" Supreme for awhile. I quickly grew tired of the Plutonian in Waid's Boom! series Irredeemable. But I do like Erik's writing so I am hoping he can hold my interest for a long time. Somehow I think he can give readers a reason to root for Liefeld' Supreme.

In case any kneejerkers are worried that issue 64 was Erik's attempt to brush everything Alan Moore did under a rug, I point out the very recently released cover solicitation for Supreme 67 (covered in a Link in case folks don't care for spoilers.) First rule of Erik Larsen writing, never trust anything is what it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    In case any kneejerkers are worried that issue 64 was Erik's attempt to brush everything Alan Moore did under a rug, I point out the very recently released cover solicitation for Supreme 67 (covered in a Link in case folks don't care for spoilers.) First rule of Erik Larsen writing, never trust anything is what it appears.

I admit, this looks promising. (BTW - It's hilarious if someone doesn't like your view, some will call you a "troll," which isn't the meaning of the term at all. :) ) Anyway, as I said, I'm willing to give this a shot for at least one issue and maybe I will be happily surprised. "Jerk/Ass Supreme," as a concept, sounds Sophomoric, but you are right, The Adventurer, it doesn't HAVE to be Sophomoric if the writing is done well. I'll admit, I wasn't pleased with Erik's run on Aquaman, having enjoyed the run preceding him, so I'm guilty as charged with "knee jerking" after seeing the ending to #64. The covers to #66 and #67 give me a glimmer of hope that maybe this won't be a pre-adolescent "I am so awesome I can do bad things" approach to Superman. I hope so, because in today's saturated market, "been there, done that" is certainly a phrase oft-spoken. The way I see it, Irredeemable is coming to an end, so if this series proves to be a quality one, then it may take the place of Waid's "bad-guy Superman" experiment.

http://multiversitycomics.com/review...ew-supreme-64/

Interesting review online. There are a lot of kneejerkers out there who aren't too optimistic that this is anything but a rehash of 90s dark stuff with too much attitude and too little character development. Supreme was great under Alan Moore - not so much before.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Age Fan View Post

Interesting review online. There are a lot of kneejerkers out there who aren't too optimistic that this is anything but a rehash of 90s dark stuff with too much attitude and too little character development. Supreme was great under Alan Moore - not so much before.
    Sheesh guys--give it a little time. There hasn't been a single issue out which doesn't still include a healthy number of characters Alan created--and there won't be. Just because the Mean Supreme is back--it doesn't mean the other characters are going away.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

I plan to pickup the first trade when it hits, because Erik is the man. Pretty easy to jump on without having read the previous Supreme stuff I'm guessing?
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I plan to pickup the first trade when it hits, because Erik is the man. Pretty easy to jump on without having read the previous Supreme stuff I'm guessing?
    As someone who never read any previous Supreme, or had any interest in either the original or Alan Moore's Supreme... yes, it is very easy to jump in without having read any previous Supreme stuff. As long as a you have a general idea of classic super-hero tropes.

Start with issue 63 and you can't really go wrong.

Sheesh guys--give it a little time. There hasn't been a single issue out which doesn't still include a healthy number of characters Alan created--and there won't be. Just because the Mean Supreme is back--it doesn't mean the other characters are going away.
    Keep it up, Erik. You're one of the best guys working in comics today, unquestionably. This new Supreme rules hard.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Oh absolutely you can walk in without any previous experience. Though, it's worth picking up the Moore stuff if you get a chance.

I expect the interaction and ensuing frustration between Supreme and his cartoon mouse counterpart to be nothing if not hilarious.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

god level ego yes,a kill first,ask questions later attitude yes,but still a hero,just no BS,thats what he is,and that will play against the silver age morals and attitudes of the depowered supremes.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

is an unremarkable man

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Age Fan View Post

This review lost me at the words "Image House Style." That's quite the oxymoron. Image has had as diverse a line as you'll see anywhere (Emitown vs. Scud vs. Spawn vs. Mud Man vs. Near Death vs. King City vs. Hack/Slash vs. Parade With Fireworks vs. Maxx vs. Comic Book Tattoo vs. Bone and so on ad infinitum). Yeah, I know in '92 it was all superhero stuff, but they diversified pretty quickly. And even at the start, the books weren't actually as similar as the perception seems to imply (did anyone who thinks the early Image titles were basically all Liefeld-style books actually READ them?).

Anyway, I know Erik's Supreme isn't going to float everyone's boat, and that's fine. I like the guys at Multiversity, but I think the idea of an Image House Style is bullshit and it's a misperception that's long deserved some push-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam O. Pruett View Post
    This review lost me at the words "Image House Style." That's quite the oxymoron. Image has had as diverse a line as you'll see anywhere (Emitown vs. Scud vs. Spawn vs. Mud Man vs. Near Death vs. King City vs. Hack/Slash vs. Parade With Fireworks vs. Maxx vs. Comic Book Tattoo vs. Bone and so on ad infinitum). Yeah, I know in '92 it was all superhero stuff, but they diversified pretty quickly. And even at the start, the books weren't actually as similar as the perception seems to imply (did anyone who thinks the early Image titles were basically all Liefeld-style books actually READ them?).

Anyway, I know Erik's Supreme isn't going to float everyone's boat, and that's fine. I like the guys at Multiversity, but I think the idea of an Image House Style is bullshit and it's a misperception that's long deserved some push-back.
    Even if you just looked at Image in the first two years: Sam Kieth, Jerry Ordway, Mike Grell, etc., etc., etc. Yeah, okay--there was some surface similarity between a few guys at Wildstorm and a few guys at Extreme early on but--Jesus--it's been 18 years since that was even there. You're telling me you can pick up this month's Image comics and find a commonality there? Bullshit.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com