Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: "Supreme" #64

Image Comics has provided CBR with an exclusive preview of Erik Larsen and Cory Hamscher's "Supreme" #64. The post-Alan Moore "Supreme" era begins on May 2!

Full article here.

Aside from the strange giant head page, it looks good. Here's hoping it IS good...
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Okay, between Supreme and Savage Dragon, could Mr. Larsen get overworked here?
    Show me a bitter nazi and I'll show you a sour kraut.

Check out my gallery at :http://r-gonz.deviantart.com/

It's possible, but he says he doesn't think it'll happen, and I believe he isn't the only one working on Supreme as he is on Savage Dragon.

Erik only does the writing and layouts on Supreme i believe. (i say "only" )
    Last i heard (before #63 came out) they were like 5 issues ahead. :)

Yeah, I was thinking he did the artwork also, but now I'm remembering something about someone else helping him on art. At least I'm pretty sure he's not doing the inking.

He's doing layouts and rough pencils. Cory Hamscher (sp?) is doing finishes and inks. Still a pretty heavy workload with Savage Dragon but he's said he can do it.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

finally the badass original SUPREME is back,be afraid,be very afraid.......awesome
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Hmm... It was okay, but I think I'm going to wait for reviews to come out on #65 before I pick it up. It's hard to tell if I like what Larsen did when the whole issue is a big fight scene.

This week felt like the early 90's for me with titles from DC/Marvel/Image & Valiant!

This story put a great closing chapter on Alan Moore's version of Supreme. Now the Liefeld Supreme is back & next issue begins a whole new chapter in the Supreme mythos. I liked the way Erik drew the other Supremes as slightly "cartoonish" but the Liefeld Supreme in a style similar to Frank Miller on Dark Knight Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    This week felt like the early 90's for me with titles from DC/Marvel/Image & Valiant!

This story put a great closing chapter on Alan Moore's version of Supreme. Now the Liefeld Supreme is back & next issue begins a whole new chapter in the Supreme mythos. I liked the way Erik drew the other Supremes as slightly "cartoonish" but the Liefeld Supreme in a style similar to Frank Miller on Dark Knight Returns.
    Interesting response. I agree it did feel like the 90s -- but there is a reason that the "grim and dark" 90s are lampooned, and the reason that sales of the Pre-Moore Supreme comic were so poor. When the uberpowerful Supreme depowered the remaining Supremes, after all the blood and guts, then flew off - my stomach dropped and I sighed. Reading Erik's write up at the end made me feel even worse -- this is not a comic I'm probably going to be interested in, unfortunately, and I LOVED Moore's intelligent, interesting characters. I'm not interested in a "I'm a bad boy rebel who can move mountains with a single puff and will likely get a tatoo as soon as possible to show that I'm so bad-ass." It's like a 15 year old's approach to what is "cool." I'm going to give it just one more issue of my hard-earned money, but I'm pretty sure that they just guaranteed numerous folks dropping this comic off their "get" lists at the comic book store. That really saddens me.

"Finally?" Like - "the sales were so low before Moore came, and now that low-selling character is back" finally? Like - "how much attitude can we give to Superman to show we're edgy" finally? No - I don't see how this is "awesome," but I'll give it one issue to prove me wrong.

Actually, since I see that Suprema is going to be in issue 66, I'm thinking maybe the intention is to make Supreme a "God that goes too far," like in Waid's Irredeemable, which I've enjoyed a bit. If THAT is the case, then maybe there is still some hope for this series. One poster called the old/new Supreme "Jerk Supreme" on another forum, and I think that fits the character well from what we've seen. Who would want to collect a series with the "hero" being an ass and full of himself, always knocking bad guys' heads off? Maybe a 10 year old. On the other hand, if Suprema and other heros find themselves having to stop "Jerk Supreme" from destroying everyone and everything .... maybe this could be an interesting series after all. Just PLEASE don't go back to what came before Moore, or this series is dead in the water.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

im sorry you need to "humanize" your characters,Supreme is a god,he is so far above being human,and he knows it.sure suprema is there as his conscious,and to reign him in when he thinks the situation would be easier dealt with by ripping someone apart.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    "Finally?" Like - "the sales were so low before Moore came, and now that low-selling character is back" finally? Like - "how much attitude can we give to Superman to show we're edgy" finally? No - I don't see how this is "awesome," but I'll give it one issue to prove me wrong.
    That...does not reflect reality. Supreme launched very high--around a million copies--and Alan Moore came on when all comics were on a steady decline. The book didn't become a huge commercial hit when Alan took over--it because a critical darling--well respected and well reviewed. But to say the book was a dud and Alan saved it is simply untrue. Alan kept it going and it became more respected but it sold quite well before he came onboard.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com