Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Now I'm curious to see if Robinson will work an Earth 2 Jack Knight - Starman into the mix. Hmmm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Shark View Post
    Now I'm curious to see if Robinson will work an Earth 2 Jack Knight - Starman into the mix. Hmmm.
    We're likely to get a young Ted Knight.

I liked this very much. I usually have problems with Robinson's writing and dialogue, but I think he toned down his "voice" a bit here, and it didn't seem to bother me.

This reminded me A LOT of a Johns and Reis comic, to the degree that I almost think it's intentional. The way this was written (narration, story development, cliffhanger) felt like a Johns comic, and Scott's art looked so much like Reis in many panels that I often forgot it wasn't actually Ivan Reis. I mean that in a good way too, I really like Johns and Reis and their style has obviously been proven successful.

I thought it was a great idea to kill the Trinity in the first issue. It really, really hits home how there are "no rules" on Earth 2, and anything can happen. I kinda wish I didn't see this spoiled online ahead of time because it's such a well done swerve. I thought Alan Scott seemed AWESOME, like a wayyyy cooler version of what they're trying to do with the new Green Arrow, and I loved Jay Garrick here, you really felt bad for him and want to root for him. I didn't care for Al Pratt but I pretty much never like war stereotypes so whatever.

An encouraging start. I'm especially excited because given what they did here, I have no idea what to expect in future issues, and that's always a good thing.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

I'd probably be okay with that.

Does that mean will get a young Jim J. Bullock too?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Probably, but I'd kind of like it if they left a few characters--like Rex Tyler and Ted Knight--in the past. The Tyler-Chem mentioned in the book might have been founded by Rex in the thirties or forties (perhaps as as Tyler Industries), and might now be run by Rick. Ted could have been a noted astrophysicist who invented technology now being used by one of his sons, or his niece. Once the younger characters become established heroes, and once its time for a "now it can be told" arc, we could find out about the secret adventures of Ted, Rex and Co. as the All-Star Squadron or something.

I guess I'm just a never-say-die supporter of the World War II JSA.
    Last edited by slvn; 05-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I loved Jay Garrick here, you really felt bad for him and want to root for him.
    Yeah--by the way, did Golden Age Joan have a mean streak at all?

Don't forget the possibility that Robinson named Jay's GF "Joan" just to mess with people. Not saying they won't get back together but it could just be misdirection.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

this was a excellent read.

does anybody think the person karen saw in the boomtube could be mr terrific? thats how we last saw him,and wouldnt him going back 5 years give him time to gather the earth 2 hereos,with inspiration from our earth heroes.

do you think alan will still be usijg the starheart,not a regualr GL ring here?
    do you think jays powers will work like the kingdom comes flash?

ok at some point down he road,maybe they could introduce a new trinity,maybe in the earth 2 book,then given their own book.
    here would be my new trinity- tim drake,cassie sandsmark,and conner kent/kkon-el

how- helena and bruce are gone,so only alfred is left taking care of the batcave,what if tim stumbled upon it somehow,and he took up the mantle,heck he could even use a batman beyondesqu type suit.
    cassie stumbles upon some magically endowed amazonian weapons while with her mother on a dig on the island of themyscira.she could become powerful when putting on the weapons.
    either top secret govt types or luthor himself collects whats left of superman after being killed in battle.they create a clone,but have to use human dna to fill in the dna gaps,which mutates the clones solar cells designed effects into TK.the clone is over confident,but should be cause its so powerful,but needs taught to have a conscious and what it means to be superman.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

delete t his post ugh
    Last edited by Crisis; 05-03-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    I really liked this issue, can't wait for next month! LOVED LOVED LOVED Mercury being Jay Garrick's Abin Sur, just right on so many levels and a way to tie into Wonder Woman's legacy as well as the Flash's history. Really helps differentiate him from Barry. Joan was a total #%&$, though, which I was surprised by.

I also really liked Alan Scott in this. His monologue seemed unrealistic until it was shown to be him doing a voice-over for a documentary about the Apokolips War. I really hope he gets Green Lantern powers in China somehow, just to keep this thing global. And Al Pratt was cool too, they all read very much like the young JSA in Robinson's Starman. I'm thinking of the Ragdoll Cult flashback issue in particular. It's a bit strange to be so excited about these characters, because the fact that their history has been stripped away means that anything can happen. There's so much drama in their lives that was played out literally before my time, so this is just exhilarating! If the new Flash origin is anything to go by, I'm very excited to see the new beginnings of these heroes!

Oh, and a note... the Justice Society characters that are appearing appear to all be new versions of the founding members. We've seen the Trinity, Alan Scott/Green Lantern, Jay Garrick/The Flash and Al Pratt/The Atom. Next we're getting Michael Holt/Mister Terrific and an unspecified Hawkgirl in lieu of Hawkman (guessing Kendra Saunders, because of Robinson's connection to the character). I'd expect Wesley Dodds/Sandman, Rex Tyler/Hourman, Kent Nelson/Doctor Fate and Jim Corrigan/The Spectre next. Wildcat will probably be later. Just a pattern, is all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23
    This book managed to exceed my already high expectations for the series. A strong plot, excellent characterisation and amazing art. Just fantastic. This is exactly what I like to see in a first issue - establishing the world and the characters that inhabit it, providing a strong narrative flow that balances action with character moments, and ending with a cliffhanger that has me eagerly awaiting the next issue.

I'm a huge fan of the original Earth-2. JLA 100 and All-Star Squadron were my introduction to the DC universe and the JSA has always been my favourite DC team. When this book was first announced I was hoping for a return of that world, but the more I read of this series the more intrigued I became. I'm now glad that Robinson has taken the concept of Earth-2 in a new and interesting direction.
    You both echoed most of my own feelings. I really enjoyed the first issue of Earth 2. It was succinct, clear, engaging and exciting. Robinson did a wonderful job nailing all the characters' voices; each hero felt very authentic to me. I felt empathy for Superman and was rooting for Wonder Woman. And I couldn't help smiling as Bruce told Helena "Good girl." It just felt right.

I can't say enough how much I enjoyed Jay Garrick's new origin. It's hip, cool and makes so much sense. Plus, it ostensibly gives Jay a connection to Wonder Woman as well which also feels right in that it reinforces the JSA sense of legacy and family--only in a much more modern context.

Top it off with what is easily the best work Nicola Scott has done for DC yet. They better never let Trevor Scott leave the book. His inks on Nicola's pencils are superb. What a beautiful book! And so much fun to read! I can't wait for issue #2 to get here.

By the way, will Ted Grant/Wildcat appear in future issues?

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Absolutely loved this book, best of the year for me so far.

Can't wait to watch the new heroes emerge in coming issues. Although he appeared in all of about five panels, I've already developed an affinity for Jay, I think he's going to be a hero to root for.
    I love the fact that DC took note of how attached fans were to Jay's winged helmet (something I would've ditched immediately) and instead used it as a springboard to connect Jay directly to the winged god Mercury. That made perfect sense and also makes it near impossible for anyone to actually ever get rid of the helmet. Because now there's a reason it's there; it's part of Jay's legacy with Mercury.

Just brilliant!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psynetrix View Post
    Earth-Two #1 had everything Justice League #1 lacked; in many ways, this was a much better introductory story. Nicola Scott's art was amazing, and I loved every one of the characters. Was Pandora in this one? Didn't see her.

not sure i agree with you on that one.... I didnt find myself really invested in WW or Superman. Batman shined with his death scene. Loved the issue but I think the tale of their deaths was too condensed. I would have gladly paid $1 more for a bit more story / pages to get invested in them.

That being said, i thought it was a great issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Man, that prose really got tiresome after a while. The story wasnt too bad though. I do have some problems with it:

1) Why did they win so easily in E0 but lose so bad in E2?
    2) Why couldnt Superman fly in the tower and do that virus thing and survive the blast?
    3) The virus thing was too independence day.
    4) I will upload the virus and it will spread, but the tower will have to conveniently detonate to kill me. I know all this because i am an expert in New Gods technology and software.
    5) How will the tower spread the virus... if it detonates on the spot?
    6) Steppenwolf? Who is that? I only know of Darkseid, some big bad brawler that just appears and beats people up. Dont tell me that there's more New Gods than him! Next thing you'll tell me that he's a master strategist who isnt supposed to get into brawls with incects. (that's actually a stab at Johns, not Robinson)
    7) Why not use Azzarello's new Hermes design and give some publicity to the WW reboot? Why go with old design?

And of course there's Alan's EXPOSITION EXPOSITION EXPOSITION dialogue and Jay's girlfriend that has to be over the top mean to hammer the point home that he's a loser. He's just talking to her and she's acting like she's getting assaulted or something.

tl;dr i didnt like the writing and execution of it.
    So we'll see you for issue 2?