Hybrid View

Default MORRISON: More on Wonder woman, and Batman is Gay(?)

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...art-interview/

I can't wait for his Wonder Woman, but really... is it really necessary to add this perspective on Batman? That (to me) came off as a little Homophobic or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...art-interview/

I can't wait for his Wonder Woman, but really... is it really necessary to add this perspective on Batman? That (to me) came off as a little Homophobic or something.
    How so? He said that Batman exist in a world where girls in spandex and fetish outfits through themselves at him but he prefers the company of men. (I don't agree with him but I don't see the homophobia)

On a side note, it looks like we will be getting a graphic novel rather than a series but that's okay, I rather prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    How so? He said that Batman exist in a world where girls in spandex and fetish outfits through themselves at him but he prefers the company of men. (I don't agree with him but I don't see the homophobia)

On a side note, it looks like we will be getting a graphic novel rather than a series but that's okay, I rather prefer that.
    I was under the impression that we were getting a graphic novel so that's ok for me. No big deal.

It's only my opinion based that he sounds Homophobic because I usually hear that type of statement from straight guys (usually younger ones) trying to make a funny in front of their friends. Perhaps "juvenile" is the word I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I was under the impression that we were getting a graphic novel so that's ok for me. No big deal.

It's only my opinion based that he sounds Homophobic because I usually hear that type of statement from straight guys (usually younger ones) trying to make a funny in front of their friends. Perhaps "juvenile" is the word I was looking for.
    Rob, you're late to the party. The festivities were(are?) over in the Bat forum.

'Juvenile' is a good word, one I used myself. I really don't think Morrison meant anything homophobic. But, sometimes I do wonder why he seems to get so hung up on the oddest stuff from the older comics. Almost makes me want to yell, "Get over it already!"

But, he does write some good stuff. So, while I'm a bit nervous about it, still can't wait for his WW.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Rob, you're late to the party. The festivities were(are?) over in the Bat forum.

'Juvenile' is a good word, one I used myself. I really don't think Morrison meant anything homophobic. But, sometimes I do wonder why he seems to get so hung up on the oddest stuff from the older comics. Almost makes me want to yell, "Get over it already!"

But, he does write some good stuff. So, while I'm a bit nervous about it, still can't wait for his WW.
    Hanging onto the odd stuff is what makes him so good, if anyone was to reinvent WW's human foes I'd chose him to do so.

To be honest, I think he's just being punchy and quirky and interesting in his dialogue, building up his own "celebrity" to sell his book. He certainly doesn't write Batman as gay and when he talks about Batman in other interviews he talks about the "hairy chested sex god" that he wants to write. So, don't worry about Morrison, he has to sell himself and to do that, he has to be funny and quirky and interesting otherwise Playboy won't want to write about him. So he's going say things that are outrageous, so that people want to buy his book outside comicbook geekdom. And there is that element to Batman, anyway. He's more intested in his little world than women, not that it makes him "gay" but it does make him who he is. So, don't worry.