Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dinosaur Island is well worth the price of admission for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Grogran View Post
    I hope its really good and sells well enough to stay around. Its kinda hard being a guy that likes the war comics but no one else does.
    You're not alone. War comics is a genre that sadly has a hard time making it these days.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

That actually looks pretty good. Not brilliant, but it does what it does with some aplomb.

May give this a shot. I really, really hate Krul's superhero stuff, but his Men of War story was probably the best thing he's yet written.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I think my problem with this title will be that I like dinosaurs too much and do not want to see them getting shot up. I would be rooting for the dinosaurs the whole time, and I doubt they will win.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I think my problem with this title will be that I like dinosaurs too much and do not want to see them getting shot up. I would be rooting for the dinosaurs the whole time, and I doubt they will win.
    Hey I like humans, it does'nt mean that I'm against them getting shot.

... in fiction I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    You're not alone. War comics is a genre that sadly has a hard time making it these days.
    Well the problem is that they usually don't have big names. I mean, a war comic from DC could probably do well if Garth Ennis wrote it.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    Well the problem is that they usually don't have big names. I mean, a war comic from DC could probably do well if Garth Ennis wrote it.
    thats a problem associated with a lot of genre comics
    it being War comics, Western, Horror, noir, etc
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

I've never been big into war comics but I've always liked the concept of Dinosaur Island so I picked this up. Previous to this comic he only war comics I ever enjoyed were the Losers parts of New Frontier(dinosaurs rule!) and the Sgt.Rock story in Wednesday because the art was amazing but G.I. Combat has now joined that list. I mean it has dinosaurs and the art is great in the Unknown Soldier story. This is one title that's definitely staying on my pull.

What was the name of the hooded woman? Her appearance in Unknown soldier was pretty surprising, I had almost forgotten about her. I wonder how this ties into her story?

Also, did anyone else think the dude who trained the unknown soldier looked like Brock Sampson, or was that just me?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I hope you are going to read Morrison's Dinosaurs vs Aliens, that will also be a movie.

how is the unknown soldier backup? i'm only interested in that, but not gonna pay 3.99 to read it. hopefully it will be collected separately from krul's stuff sometime in the near future.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    how is the unknown soldier backup? i'm only interested in that, but not gonna pay 3.99 to read it. hopefully it will be collected separately from krul's stuff sometime in the near future.
    It was really good, the art was fantastic and I like where the story is going.

Do they usually collect the backups in trade form? I don't recall seeing past back ups collected before so I'd suggest buying the book, it's worth it in my opinion especially because I'd call it more of a double feature than a back up as I believe both stories had the same page count.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Do they usually collect the backups in trade form? I don't recall seeing past back ups collected before so I'd suggest buying the book, it's worth it in my opinion especially because I'd call it more of a double feature than a back up as I believe both stories had the same page count.
    some of the backups pre-flashpoint were collected into oversized issues like the 80-page giants. some weren't so it's kinda hit or miss. i've become so soured with j.t. krul though, i just don't think i can buy the book even if it's just for half. i flipped through it in the shop and panosian's art did look great. and thanks for the heads up about the double feature, i thought it was just and 8 page backup. if the store has any left on sat for FCBD, i might have to add it to my purchases.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Lost in strange worlds Hierocles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

The "Tales of the New Gods" backups during Byrne's Jack Kirby's Fourth World and Simonson's Orion runs were collected.

Wow. The whole comic should have been about the dinosaurs. Make that into the next Jurassic Park movie.

I didn't come in with high expectations, but I still left disappointed. Like someone said above, the background art doesn't blend in as well as the artist thinks it does. It felt too sterile to me, like it was just on the edge of the uncanny valley. The action sequences should feel a lot more dynamic than they did.

The art in the backup was a lot better, but the story didn't grab me. Kudos to DC for continuing to try some war genre comics, but I don't think I'll pick up #2.