Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Line Holder. Darkfoxz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    180

    Default God Of War gets Multiplayer *FACEPALM*

    WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

    *FACEPALM*

    Are any Single Player games sacred? God Of War was the LAST place I thought I would see Multiplayer, of coruse I thought the same thing of Mass Effect.

    Please leave MP out of Story driven SP player games. PLEASE!
    What-A-Drag....WE WILL HOLD THE LINE!....LETS GO AKAMARU!

    Nightwing, Red Hood, Arsenal, The Question (Vic Sage), Dove (Don Hall)

    Best. Characters. Ever.

  2. #2
    The Vicious Cabaret RickThunderclees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    No! It is a Battle Sphere of Doom!
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Couldn't agree more dude. But when it comes down to it, it's all about taking a successful franchise, and getting every freakin' dollar they can get. Bet it will launch as fremium too, haha.
    "For relaxing times, make it Suntory time”

    - Bob Harris

  3. #3
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,861

    Default

    I don't really see the problem here, if you don't like the multiplayer don't play it.

  4. #4
    Faiza Fanboy Guest_1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,187

    Default

    I know how you feel. I'm not a fan of God Of War but I felt the same about Uncharted when it got multiplayer (and in 3, Naughty Dog began putting more focus on it, to the detriment of the single player game. No bonuses? Madness). Hopefully it'll just be treated as an extra mode rather than receive all the focus that multiplayer does so often in games these days. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you God Of War fans.
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

    We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

  5. #5

    Default

    As long as they don't force you to play through the multiplayer in order to get content in the single-player, I don't see the problem..

  6. #6
    Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't really see the problem here, if you don't like the multiplayer don't play it.
    The problem is that they're putting multiplayer in a game that never needed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

    Help Save Ant-Man

  7. #7

    Default

    For me they got to change it up to get me back in the God of War series. Loved the first one but found the rest boring. Maybe a multiplayer fan give the series a boost.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

  8. #8
    Line Holder. Darkfoxz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't really see the problem here, if you don't like the multiplayer don't play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitz the Bloody View Post
    As long as they don't force you to play through the multiplayer in order to get content in the single-player, I don't see the problem..
    Well, it dosen't really work like that. Instead of the entire dev team on the SP, now some of them are on the MP. Which could lead to a glitchy, boring SP game. And Multiplayer balance is a pain in the ***, so A lot of time is going to be spent on it, if they want to try to make it 'Good'

    Mass Effect 3 for example. While yes they weren't the same guys that were on the SP from the start, they could of been. Which means all that crappy Auto Dialouge and lack of suqadmates could of been rectifed. And it did make you use MP to get the 'best possible ending'. (The 5,000+ EMS)

    This is why I hate it when SP games get MP. I'll try to keep an open mind, but after Mass Effect 3's MP (Fun, but tacked on, and lost intrest fast) I'm not holding my breath.
    What-A-Drag....WE WILL HOLD THE LINE!....LETS GO AKAMARU!

    Nightwing, Red Hood, Arsenal, The Question (Vic Sage), Dove (Don Hall)

    Best. Characters. Ever.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,947

    Default

    Yeah, I know right. What genius decided to add multiplayer to God of War, a game that's a glorified hack and slash dungeon crawler...everyone knows those games never work as multiplayer games.

  10. #10
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't really see the problem here, if you don't like the multiplayer don't play it.
    This.
    Damn them for adding extra stuff to the game i guess.

  11. #11

    Default

    Well, it dosen't really work like that. Instead of the entire dev team on the SP, now some of them are on the MP. Which could lead to a glitchy, boring SP game. And Multiplayer balance is a pain in the ***, so A lot of time is going to be spent on it, if they want to try to make it 'Good'
    So is game design determined by the equation of "put X time and money into game, get game of Y quality"? The only way to determine wether or not the single player God of War will be good here is to play it.

  12. #12

    Default

    Uncharted, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid and Portal all added multiplayer modes without sacrificing single player. I know a lot of guys on CBR act like they'll implode if they interact with other players, but you really can have both.

    If it's done well, it can only add to the overall product. Why in God's name would anyone bitch about getting more for their money?

  13. #13

    Default

    My only problem with adding a multiplayer option to a usually single player game is that they have to devote time and resources to making multiplayer work when they could be getting the game out sooner or making the single player game better.

    I wonder if you can multi-player the bedroom scene with the bouncing lamps? :P

  14. #14
    Faiza Fanboy Guest_1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Uncharted, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid and Portal all added multiplayer modes without sacrificing single player. I know a lot of guys on CBR act like they'll implode if they interact with other players, but you really can have both.

    If it's done well, it can only add to the overall product. Why in God's name would anyone bitch about getting more for their money?
    I haven't played any Assassin's Creed or Portal games after the first ones but let's take a look at those other games you mentioned:

    Uncharted - Sure, they didn't sacrifice single player in 2. Then 3 came along and they removed practically all the replay value by taking away the unlockable bonuses, for reasons I can't fathom. The "Mirror World" cheat alone doubled the replay value. Can't say for certain that it was because of multiplayer though, so maybe this one is a one-off.

    Metal Gear Solid - Multiplayer was introduced in Subsistence and, true, it didn't sacrifice the single player in that. It'd be pretty damn difficult to do so though, since the single player was already done and the multiplayer was an add-on. As for Metal Gear Solid 4? Can you honestly say that the single player wasn't sacrificed when, in the only game in the series where multiplayer was developed at the same time as single-player, we had only two Codec frequencies to call up when we were bored or eating lunch, the only backstory we had about the bosses was in a call from Drebin after each one was defeated and after Act 3, Snake barely said a word? And what he did say was reduced to explaining the situation and taking advice, asking questions, delivering joke lines and the occasional grunt. It's the single-player story that suffers here more than the gameplay but it's single player nonetheless. Just like ...

    Mass Effect 3 - This is the big one. Fewer dialogue choices, romantic options from previous games having almost no follow up (Jacob, Jack, Miranda, Thane), choices in general having no bearing on the game other than an extra line of dialogue (the Rachni surviving/dying, Maelon's Genophage research data being saved/destroyed), no benefit/penalty for the choices you did make in previous games (with the exception of an extra War Asset here or there, which are about as pointless as it gets) and then there's the ending, which, barring the actual storyline, featured no dialogue after a certain point, no final boss, no small cutscenes showing your teammates fighting or your hard work over the course of the game ... the words "cut" and "corners" spring to mind.

    To say multiplayer has no bearing on single player is just ignorant. How in the hell are the people who like single player "getting more for their money" when multiplayer is actually taking away from the part of the game they enjoy?
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

    We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post
    I haven't played any Assassin's Creed or Portal games after the first ones but let's take a look at those other games you mentioned:

    Uncharted - Sure, they didn't sacrifice single player in 2. Then 3 came along and they removed practically all the replay value by taking away the unlockable bonuses, for reasons I can't fathom. The "Mirror World" cheat alone doubled the replay value. Can't say for certain that it was because of multiplayer though, so maybe this one is a one-off.

    Metal Gear Solid - Multiplayer was introduced in Subsistence and, true, it didn't sacrifice the single player in that. It'd be pretty damn difficult to do so though, since the single player was already done and the multiplayer was an add-on. As for Metal Gear Solid 4? Can you honestly say that the single player wasn't sacrificed when, in the only game in the series where multiplayer was developed at the same time as single-player, we had only two Codec frequencies to call up when we were bored or eating lunch, the only backstory we had about the bosses was in a call from Drebin after each one was defeated and after Act 3, Snake barely said a word? And what he did say was reduced to explaining the situation and taking advice, asking questions, delivering joke lines and the occasional grunt. It's the single-player story that suffers here more than the gameplay but it's single player nonetheless. Just like ...

    Mass Effect 3 - This is the big one. Fewer dialogue choices, romantic options from previous games having almost no follow up (Jacob, Jack, Miranda, Thane), choices in general having no bearing on the game other than an extra line of dialogue (the Rachni surviving/dying, Maelon's Genophage research data being saved/destroyed), no benefit/penalty for the choices you did make in previous games (with the exception of an extra War Asset here or there, which are about as pointless as it gets) and then there's the ending, which, barring the actual storyline, featured no dialogue after a certain point, no final boss, no small cutscenes showing your teammates fighting or your hard work over the course of the game ... the words "cut" and "corners" spring to mind.

    To say multiplayer has no bearing on single player is just ignorant. How in the hell are the people who like single player "getting more for their money" when multiplayer is actually taking away from the part of the game they enjoy?
    So any aspects of a game you don't like can all be blamed on multiplayer? You do realize that different people handle different aspects of a game, right? You think the people writing MGS's dialogue are the same ones handling multiplayer? Come on man, you think Kojima actually sat there and went, "I'm going to have Snake make a joke here BECAUSE MULTIPLAYER!".

    Really?

    And you don't think that maybe the drastic increase in traditional cutscenes (over 9 hours worth) that the writers had to handle had more of an impact on the Codec conversations than the completely unrelated work the multiplayer devs were doing?

    This reminds me of PC gamers blaming everything under the sun on console games, regardless of how much sense it actually makes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •